Thread: Making crab pots

Making crab pots

Just did a quick search and found very little on this subject. I was at the hardware the other day and saw some mesh against the fence, the description was that it was crab pot mesh. I got to thinking that I might make up some solid pots to replace the pots that I used to have that were stolen or trashed( crocs up ere). I can't seem to find any info on what size they can be, what style, with regard to trap openings etc. I guess that is why everyone buys them. I have all the gear to make them including a welder to spot the joins. I am not bothered if they are not the collapsable type as they wont be in the boat long enough to be a problem. Any suggestions/plans or internet l;inks would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    Andy.

Re: Making crab pots

You don't need a welder. I have just bought 4 pots (couldnt be bothered making them) off a retired guy and they are pearlers. Lightweight. Strong enough and easy to transport for non-collapsables.

He advertises them in the Cairns post eon Saturdays in the for sale section. Grab one off him for the design. Easy enough to make.
    You are entitled to my opinion!
    -----------------------------------------

900mm long x 600mm wide x 300mm high. That's how I've made them in the past from a roll of 900mm crab wire. Only one join and the tags from the cut are used to secure that. Chicken wire funnels in each end and away you go.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Nauti View Post
    900mm long x 600mm wide x 300mm high. That's how I've made them in the past from a roll of 900mm crab wire. Only one join and the tags from the cut are used to secure that. Chicken wire funnels in each end and away you go.

Dave

G'day Dave,

I'll send you a pm shortly, might need your skills in making a couple up

Where did you get the wire from and what thickness in mm?

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Nauti View Post

Dave
    Sounds real easy and very clever. Any possibility you could posts some pics of your home-made pots on this thread? Thanks for the info RN.
    Cheers

I'm sorry fella's I sold my collection (24) wire pots before we relocated from Rockhampton April '07. Since then I've only bought the el cheapo collapsibles from BCF, which might be ok, but I don't really think are as good as the wire. The pots that I described the earlier post are rectangle. It's as easy as can be to make them (if I can anyone can!).
    The roll of wire is 900mm x 10 mtrs.
    You can buy it at hardware places for approximately $100 per roll. (remember wire has become very expensive in recent months.)

Unroll a couple of mtrs of it and flatten it out a bit. 600mm from the end of the roll lay a fence paling across the wire and stand on it. Bend the wire up at right angles. Move the paling back 300mm and do the same thing - (at this point the wire will be bending toward you and trying to attack! so do it by putting the wire and the paling in a vise. Next move is 600 mm again. Then cut it off one square (75mm) past the next 300mm. Leave the tags on the crabpot end of the wire. Twitch them around the wire and Bob's your uncle. You will have used 1875mm off the roll. Once you start you'll know what you're doing. It's measurements that you need to watch that's all. When you've got it sussed you can do it by counting mesh numbers if you want to.

Fashion your funnels out of chicken wire, insert them into each end of the rectangle, and tie them off. (You can use cable ties for this - they're quick and easy). In the bottom part of the funnel I also attach some of that brown gutter guard. Just to make it a bit easier for the little darlings to climb in!

You'll need to cut out a door but I'm sure you'll work that bit out.

I'm not sure of the guage of the wire but it is generally sold as crabpot wire. The mesh is 75mm x 50mm.

Hose them down after use and they last you easily 2 or 3 years or more.

Cheers

Dave
    Just realised the bit about the wire and paling and vise mightn't make sense. Put a 1.2 mtr paling in the vise, and use that to bend the wire around ( 300mm of the paling in the vise and 900 sticking out to bend the wire around)

Thanks Dave, call me thick but i am not sure how to do the chicken wire funnel, do you just make a tube and flatten it slightly at the inside end?

Reef fisher, the plastic trellis they sell by the metre at any hardware works well. . It also needs to funnel towards the top of the cage so they can't just walk back out. Here is one done from chicken wire. When cutting the hole in the side wall make it oval shaped around 22-23 cms wide and around 120-140cns high. Hope this helps.

[url=http://g.imageshack.us/img67/funnelassy05me8.jpg/1/][IMG]
    You are entitled to my opinion!
    -----------------------------------------

I make my own roughly as above but use old prawn net off the trawlers instead of wire. They will usually give it to you gratis as they dont have to get rid of it themselves then.
    Make the entries out of the same and attach it to the sides by a tie with small hooks on the end to attach to the funnel on each side to hold it apart, and form a spout.
    (I think that makes sense?)