Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making good burley cheap

Making good burley cheap

OK fellas, what recipes out there for making good burley and cheap.
    Bloody Tuna oil is like $15 a litre, thats ridiculous.

Theres must be some good cheap solutions.

Please tell.

Re: Making good burley cheap

Couple good posts in here about making berley if you search for it mate...............
    I always mix up bait from old fishing trips and prawn heads and pillys and bone slivers from filleting and put them into a food processor awesome stuff. Then zippy tie a bottle with holes in it to my anchor works a treat
    JT
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...ghlight=berley
    Last edited by jtpython; 06-12-2008 at 10:49 PM. Reason: adding
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

You can get a 20kg bag of laying pellets for about $12. About a half a bucket of these is enough for a session of 3 or 4 hours. Put them into a dry bucket and add about half a cup of tuna oil then stir vigorously to get a bit of tuna oil onto all the pellets. This means your bottle of tuna oil will last for many trips. Place a couple of cups of the pellets in a berley bucket or other distributing system that will let them break down slowly and keep a continuous stream of fine fragments in the current behind your boat.
    If you want to put old bait, bread, cheese, sausage, meat scraps etc through the food processor as jtpython suggests (as I also do) add some pellets to the mix along with any oil from cans of sardines, smoked oysters or mussels, anchovies etc along with enough water to make a nice wet paste. Then freeze this mixture in plastic dishes. You can use these as ice blocks to keep the stubbies cold while you fish. To use them take the frozen block out of the plastic dish and put it straight into your berley bucket. As the ice thaws the berley is distributed along with the usual pellets. The larger the ice block the longer it takes to thaw.
    Cheers Freeeedom

I use an old meat grinder. I find that I can put all old scrap, heads, skins, frames etc through it no problems. Add some oil, prawn heads anything and freeze. Works a treat .

Quote Originally Posted by jtpython View Post
    Couple good posts in here about making berley if you search for it mate...............
    I always mix up bait from old fishing trips and prawn heads and pillys and bone slivers from filleting and put them into a food processor awesome stuff. Then zippy tie a bottle with holes in it to my anchor works a treat
    JT
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...ghlight=berley
    Have you ever lost the burley bottle??
    When we use that method down at Evans (or more bluntly when we can get out off Evans) we lose at least one every third trip do to BIG toothy critters.
    We freeze ours so the release is a bit controlled.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Yes to losing burly bottles, around 20 now ?

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Have you ever lost the burley bottle??
    When we use that method down at Evans (or more bluntly when we can get out off Evans) we lose at least one every third trip do to BIG toothy critters.
    We freeze ours so the release is a bit controlled.
    We sure do mate not every trip mind you but 1 out of 5 trips find they'll get smashed off but pick and choose the times we use berley too ..............Not only from sharks but big cod will smash them as well
    Cheers JT
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

We have a blender that lives in the garage ! (not the kitchen one...)
    crunch up all frames, except for big backbones.
    Toss in a handful of chook pellets ( I love the look at my local rural supplies when I buy a little bag!). 3-4 drops of aniseed essence (old wives tale but who knows)
    Put in milk cartons (carboard ones) and freeze.
    When out, slice the cardboard, run down the anchor line or tie off the back, sit back and watch the schools of little ones come around the boat!
    When you have them, cast out to the back of school !!!!

I use old pillies(or any left over bait) ever diced or minced, tuna oil and bone dust from butcher shop.
    Cheers TT

Add some tuna oil to whatever you wish to use for berley then add that to half a bucket of sand and mix it through well. The sand will give it bulk and weight to get the berley moving downwards more than away on the surface like lots of oil based berleys do. Keep your berley fine enough not to be a food source is also a good idea.
    Jack.

WWW.RJAYZ.COM.AU burley products are the way to go.
    cheers jim

I was using the food processor method, but got tired of picking all the bigger bones out, and went searching for a method of mincing all the old frames/bait up without having to do any bone removal.
    One of the guys at work was selling an as new insinkerator garbage disposal unit. He wanted $50 for it.
    I snapped it up and now, after mounting it onto a sink I've set up outside for cleaning fish, all I have to do is turn it on and feed in the frames.
    It won't do catfish heads, and sometimes gets jammed by skin.
    It munches whole mullet and everything else into a fine paste.
    I add a bit of tuna oil to it, and pour the sludge into contaiers to freeze.
    600ml powerade bottles with the top cut off are the perfect size for my berley bucket.
    I have also, a dedicated bait/berley freezer downstairs, so the better half is kept happy, as only fresh fish for the table makes it's way upstairs.

When I wash it out, all the waste goes into a compost heap, or, occasionally to a neighbour for use on his rose beds..
    Last edited by Fish'n Junky; 08-12-2008 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Spelling.

I use the insinkerator mounted in a old sink method as well. Makes a nice fish slop, very fine, put into buckets with chook pellets to soak, bottle & freeze. Leigh

Thanks all, some really useful ideas here.
    Now I have to try and find a meat grinder or insinkerator.

Excellent.

Sand is helpfull in making things sink...... but do not put stuff that has had sand in.. into your dish washer......dishwashers don't like sand

keep all the fat tippings from the frypan and oil from deep frying and mix that with whatever.

If tuna oil is a bit expensive for you cut it with common vegy oil... makes it go further........whatch out for some of the cheaper brands.... they are already cut.

has anybody looked at the price of fish oil (intended for gardening) from the produce agent...... must check it out.

remember there is some meat of fish meal in chicken pelets already.

Sharks munching your burly bottle is one thing....... sisters husband has sworn off burleying after he lost the burly bag and the anchor rope to a snappy handbag.....the anchor is still on the bottom somewhere.

cheers