Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tinny rod/reel storage product review/idea

Tinny rod/reel storage product review/idea

For over a year I have been looking for an adequate solution to my in boat on water and towing rod storage problem. I got the chance to put an end to it today..I hope, having already stood on one guide and broke it, it's just shocking lying rods down all the time or running in rough water with them in the gunnel rod holders.

Also a basic product review of sorts.

Left side holds:

a surface bustup rod with slice - tss4
    a rod for floating a live or dead bait -950ss
    a rod for estuary casting plastics etc - when ofshore will be the bait jig rod - penn applause 4000.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3...s/DSCF0055.jpg

Right side:

3 reef/trolling rods and reels - all penns.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3...s/DSCF0057.jpg

I am happy with this product it's simple and easy to use, fits big rods and reels, it is PVC so should last long and so far before I fitted these bigger ones I had a smaller set on just the right side as a test which showed the rods don't jump out and are easy to put in and out, set and forget.

Hope someone can get some good use out of this simple but useful product too. Price was $53 each side at BCF, Bias sells the identical product.

cheers fnq

Re: Tinny rod/reel storage product review/idea

Looks good inside your boat mate.

I made a set of the Land Cruiser I sold to Fishraider2. Held up to 8 rods up in the hood of the cruiser using similar shapes cut from plastic. Did a lot of offroad work and never had a rod come out of place.
    Jack.

Thanks Jack a little order does wonders and it's so simple to fit, should have done it months ago. Will need some wetsuit material or the like glued behind the reels.

cheers fnq

FNQ, able flex would be good to cushion your reels, wish I had the free space like you do and I would do the same, I cant use rocket launcers cause of low bridges need something along my bimini or onto the supports , somehow ,

Thanks Dreemon I will look into that stuff as an option. looking forward to the first rip without rods underfoot, now for the oars and gaff.

cheers fnq

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post
    Thanks Dreemon I will look into that stuff as an option. looking forward to the first rip without rods underfoot, now for the oars and gaff.

cheers fnq

AND SOME BLOODY GRABRAILS!

Looks good Scott........go out and get some fish bud ,
    Dan........

Quote Originally Posted by Dan5 View Post
    AND SOME BLOODY GRABRAILS!

Looks good Scott........go out and get some fish bud ,
    Dan........

yeah dan it's a bit rude i know, one job at a time, I am not yet fully comfortable.... and besides off a wave when you where driving didn't you land me from the esky and onto the gunnel

cheers fnq

Edit* Dan Still waiting for those Black Jew fillets you promised, hoping they are not sitting somewhere in transit gone off...it's been a while already.

Nice idea and looks a treat. Darren.

Had those shapes a while ago in old Dreamdays, they work a treat if you have the space. but watch the shins on the lower down rods!
    Will take a picture later this week when home, and put it up. BBJ designed a simple hook and pvc holder a long time ago (after I managed to lose some rods/reels in 'surf' that happened off macleay island one year :{) that allows the rods to stand up, either hooked in a rod holder on the side (little tinny) or over the inside side pockets (whittley). This allows us to store many rods, that otherwise we couldn't lying down. Also in little one, the oars and crab/boat pole are hooked in the side per your pic.

Mate - the stuff you want to glue behind the reels is that high compression stuff they use for insoles for running shoes, marketed as Sorbithane I think, but clarke rubber sell a similar product.....worth a look.....i would make it a priority,,,had a similar set up on an earlier tinny......did a lot of damage to reels and the side of the boat after a couple of trips.

Greg

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions, I will look into the shoe sole idea, would be nice to do it once and forget about it forever. Almost did get to use the boat before any backing went on, got cancelled, so lucky there.

I tried the flat portion of Chinese container lids glued to the aluminium on the first one I did more as a stopgap solution, worked for a couple of weeks then they fell off even after scratching the glue side of them up, hard to find a no hassle no maintenance forever solution.

cheers fnq

Geez you made a bit of a mess on the carpet,mate......

Looks good but..

Well done mate.. all looks good.I agree that you should look into something for those reels rubbing on the hull. I have a similar setup on my boat and I have started putting a "stick Jacket' on the rods to protect the runners and also stop the line fouling. They are a great idea and for about $20 a good investment. Your local tackle shop should have them.

Scott have now vacumed, will pm a pic

Duncan those jackets are pretty flash, who would have thought, and good too for looking after the rods I guess, I might look one as I only have one rod truly worthy.

cheers fnq

Well for fullness here is the backing I put behind the reels glued on with marine sika, its a cork and PVC product i think, used on tourist boat decks etc so very hardy (but not hard) and resistant to everything I was told, not the design I would choose nor the colour but it's not about that so I took what they had, 2 x 200mm x 500mm = $44 so not cheap either but if it stays put long enough that I forget I put it there I will be happy.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3...s/DSCF0002.jpg

cheers fnq