Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: IBD meets ABT (Teemburra)

Re: IBD meets ABT (Teemburra)

Quote Originally Posted by Obi _ Wan View Post
    It was my post that started all this rubbish that has occured, mentioning, "Dropped Fish"

I feel that Dick Pasfield was one who was closest to picking up on the intent of that line
    I suspect that many of us cottoned onto your intent Obi_Wan, perhaps I just articulated it before anyone else.

I also think I may have cottoned on to what 2manylures was trying to say, be it unsuccessfully. Unfortunately internet communication is less than perfect at times, depending on the experience and skills of the users. 2manylures did make the following point with respect to that point

Unfortunately Dick the difference between computers/forums & reality is that we can't see people faces or look into there eyes.

If it were possible perhaps the bedside manner would be taken differently. Unfortunately we can't & aren't all literary scholars.
    We've been communicating all our lives on a 'face to face' basis that utilizes a significant amount of body language to covey a message. Many of us have been doing the internet thing for much less than a decade. Any wonder it can be a struggle at times.

Sometimes the end result is someone retreating from a discussion on one leg because the other one is still jammed in their mouth and not knowing how they can get it out. From this you can get one disgruntled person who has the potential to be a good contributor throwing their hands in the air and opting out.

I'm generalising here so my reference should flow beyond this thread, just felt it was an appropriate place to make mention of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol_P View Post
    Sounds like you need to come and chase some HUGE GT's.....

Barra are certainly an 'Aussie Iconic sportfish' but as for the 'Jewel in the crown of sportfish'.....That title most certainly belongs to the GT's or Yellowtail kings.

Pete
    G'Day Pete,

Mate i guess the term "The Jewel in The Crown of Sportfish" could go to any species depending on each fisherman's point of view and what they have archived in the past.
    Over the years i would say that i personally would have given that title to quite a number of different species.
    However at the present time, that title for me, remains with the Majestic Barra.

Back in the late 60's and early 70's i used to drag a boat down to Currawong, near Jervis Bay and jig with metal slices, coffins etc with a Seascape reel. We used to dodge the pro's who used to troll with lead lines for Yellowtail Kings out on the Banks. And there were some huge mothers mixed up with them. One year an uncle of mine caught a 200lb yellowfin tuna with a 45lb handline down there.
    A mate and myself caught 106 yellowtail Kings in a comp off Toowoon Bay one day, fish to about 40lb.
    So mate, sorry i'm over the kings, and sure they are a dirty fighter but to me they don't have the mystic of the barra.

On the GT's i have also caught those but the best would only be around 30lb and that was up in The English Company Islands, North of Gove in the NT. You would not believe the number of trevally species that turn up in that area, the biggest problem was sharks, if the fight went to long you only got a head.
    My son and i have been catching Gt's down here in the Pine River but only to about 2kg's, still they go hard on light gear and are a lot of fun, by the way next time you run into Brandon when he is up at Noosa tell him you have been chatting to his old man LOL.

Pete good to match thoughts and notes on our favourite species.

On the braid size, some guys are now using 80lb at Faust, they are saying that they are not getting wiped out as much when the barra run through the sticks.

I guess you know that there are some horse GT's up around the Whitsundays.

Good fishing mate.

Cheers,
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by Obi _ Wan View Post
    G'Day Pete,

Mate i guess the term "The Jewel in The Crown of Sportfish" could go to any species depending on each fisherman's point of view and what they have archived in the past.
    Over the years i would say that i personally would have given that title to quite a number of different species.
    However at the present time, that title for me, remains with the Majestic Barra.

Back in the late 60's and early 70's i used to drag a boat down to Currawong, near Jervis Bay and jig with metal slices, coffins etc with a Seascape reel. We used to dodge the pro's who used to troll with lead lines for Yellowtail Kings out on the Banks. And there were some huge mothers mixed up with them. One year an uncle of mine caught a 200lb yellowfin tuna with a 45lb handline down there.
    A mate and myself caught 106 yellowtail Kings in a comp off Toowoon Bay one day, fish to about 40lb.
    So mate, sorry i'm over the kings, and sure they are a dirty fighter but to me they don't have the mystic of the barra.

On the GT's i have also caught those but the best would only be around 30lb and that was up in The English Company Islands, North of Gove in the NT. You would not believe the number of trevally species that turn up in that area, the biggest problem was sharks, if the fight went to long you only got a head.
    My son and i have been catching Gt's down here in the Pine River but only to about 2kg's, still they go hard on light gear and are a lot of fun, by the way next time you run into Brandon when he is up at Noosa tell him you have been chatting to his old man LOL.

Pete good to match thoughts and notes on our favourite species.

On the braid size, some guys are now using 80lb at Faust, they are saying that they are not getting wiped out as much when the barra run through the sticks.

I guess you know that there are some horse GT's up around the Whitsundays.

Good fishing mate.

Cheers,
    John.
    Cheers John,
    I might have to get the dogfight up to faust...
    Yes I have been dusted by soem BIG GT's up in the whitsundays.
    I think its better to talk 'styles' of fishing.
    Lure throwing in general is great fun...Throwing lures at barra,Popping for GT's and I have been loving the sight casting at tuna form the rocks recently.

Are you Brandons Dad..??.....Great fella Brandon.

Cheers
    Pete

Hi Pete,

Mate Faust is a magic place when it's firing but it plays with your head at times, never the less it's a top destination for travelling barra hunters.

You are right, chucking lures for anything, is absolutely in No.1 place, it rocks mate no matter what the target species is.

Brandon and i spent 5 hours down in our local drain chucking lures for Jacks last Friday for no result but still very satisfying and yes i am responsible for him lol.

Cheers,

John.