Thread: Companion fridge freezers?

Companion fridge freezers?

Have been considering getting something rather than ice and eskys for our annual Fraser trips. Was looking at a Chescold to get gas, but then saw at b c f a 55 litre Companion that they have on special at the moment for $599 (includes insulated travel bag). Although no gas option, at that price I am thinking it may just be worth it and buy a cheap generator with the savings. 3 watt per hour power draw.

It is in their latest catalogue.

Anyone know anything about this brand?

Cheech

Re: Companion fridge freezers?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheech View Post
    Have been considering getting something rather than ice and eskys for our annual Fraser trips. Was looking at a Chescold to get gas, but then saw at b c f a 55 litre Companion that they have on special at the moment for $599 (includes insulated travel bag). Although no gas option, at that price I am thinking it may just be worth it and buy a cheap generator with the savings. 3 watt per hour power draw.

It is in their latest catalogue.

Anyone know anything about this brand?

Cheech
    Keep in mind you then have two items that can fail and cheap usually means noisy

As with all camping fridges check whether it is a true fridge/freezer or only cools to "x" degrees below ambient. 25 degrees below ambient on a hot day can still be pretty warm. Our chescold used as a freezer works fine & lasts 3 weeks on a 9.5kg bottle. Bill

Freefish,

Sorry for asking what is no doubt a dumb question but when you say lasts 3 weeks on the gas bottle - how often do you have the gas on each day?

Am trying to decide the best option at the moment myself.

Thanks

I will back up Freefish's assessment of gas use. Our Chescold gets 10 days out of a 4kg gas bottle and is in constant use i.e., never switched off. Three weeks on 9kg would be spot on.

As said 3 weeks when run constantly as a freezer 24 hrs /day. When travelling on 12v & reconnect to gas for however long we stop we still get around 3 weeks. When we run out switch to stove bottle & head for civilization. Only opened once a day to take out days supplies. Use a 40 ltr Waeco running off a 130 amp/hr deep cycle battery for daily use. Bill

You will fall entirely in love with the gas if you stay somewhere for any period, I get up to 2 weeks on a 9kg bottle with my chescold on flatout in the tropics. It will not like being opened often, there is etiquette involved with these units.

When Larry hit Innisfail the choice to take the engle or the chescold down to some friends so they had refrigeration was a no brainer, the chescold went.

On 12v they suck lots of power.

Do they make a quality gas + 12v compressor unit? that would be the ants pants.

You are going to hate running a cheap gennie (any gennie) for 4 hours a day just to re- charge the batterys. Too much drama IMO.

cheeers fnq

Thanks for the feedback. But can anyone comment on my question, does anyone know anything about Companion fridge/freezers?

i bought the 45L version of this a week ago from repco. the hinge was damaged (doesn't affect the seal) and i scooped it up for $300. it is either a fridge or a freezer depending on how low you set the temp - it goes down to -19. i have only run it on 240 at home so far but it keeps the beer damn cold. am going to bribie for a week next week and will give it a good run there. bummer is i don't have dual battery system yet so will be taking the boat battery and a spare and going for a drive now and then. am planning on freezing all meat etc in fridge a couple of days before we go to try and minimize power draw. will let you know how it goes when i get back

cheers
    dave
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

I had a 35 year old gas fridge that is now known as chescold. Got it of my old man. Only packed it in last easter. That fridge had travelled on a yacht from melbourne to brissie and in 4wd's half way around the country.

Cheech I looked at the companion when I bough my Waeco. They use a chinese rip-off of the danfoss compressor. I have no doubt they are fine. IF the warentee is for 1 year and it lasts one year then they will probably run for ever. The only reason I did not buy it was for an extra $200 I got a 50l waeco with a 5 year compressor warentee. Snared if from anaconda when they price matched caravan services.

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post
    i bought the 45L version of this a week ago from repco. the hinge was damaged (doesn't affect the seal) and i scooped it up for $300. it is either a fridge or a freezer depending on how low you set the temp - it goes down to -19. i have only run it on 240 at home so far but it keeps the beer damn cold. am going to bribie for a week next week and will give it a good run there. bummer is i don't have dual battery system yet so will be taking the boat battery and a spare and going for a drive now and then. am planning on freezing all meat etc in fridge a couple of days before we go to try and minimize power draw. will let you know how it goes when i get back

cheers
    dave

Mate unless your boat battery is a deep cycle you will probably stuff it or at the minimum reduce its life

Buy a decent deep cycle probably AGM as they charge easier and get advice on charging it properly. It really is worth it and you can have it as a spare for the boat as well

yes mate - 130ah deep cycle and a couple of back ups to keep the thing cold while i take the 130 for a little drive up the beach and back - probably as far as the pub.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!