Thread: fishing the shelf line off north queensland

fishing the shelf line off north queensland

while i know marlin hang around the shelf line in north Queensland .

what can one expect to catch in the first drop off up here bottom fishing 150 to200 meter markdoes anyone run a good charter out from Townsville

Re: fishing the shelf line off north queensland

Hey Ozbee,

I'm up in Cairns and I don't know of anyone that runs a charter that far out in that depth, because the amount of run/current is unbelievable. Up off Port Douglas, we have fished in the 80m plus depth and got some good big mouth and red emporer.

On one occassion we were out and seen a bloke fishing out wide and we pulled up next to him and had a chat and he was in about 130m from memory and was catching big mouth massive size. We tried to hook up but there was just too much run that night. But he said he was having a few dramas with sharks giving the fish a touch up that night.

You could expect to catch anythign in that depth, just a matter of holding the bottom.

Pazz

If you know where to look usually in the 130-150 meter depths, there are big numbers of gold band jobbies... foxy

Hey dfox,

What does gold band job looks like and could not find pic on googles
    much appreicated if you got some photo of this specie

Heres a pic of an average sized one (not my pic) ... foxy

Want us to follow you out there over Christmas Foxy? Reckon I'd need a lanyard out there with those miscelaneous denizins, Dave is usually pretty good at grabbing me before I go over, but one of these days he's going to miss!

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    Want us to follow you out there over Christmas Foxy? Reckon I'd need a lanyard out there with those miscelaneous denizins, Dave is usually pretty good at grabbing me before I go over, but one of these days he's going to miss!
    No Nic, not this christmas, remember after we catch them your cooking up some of these ... foxy

similar to the job fish we get in closer but definitely a bit different more stout looking. i suppose they pull like a freight train like there cousins

uhm, ok foxy. those crays look great!

ozbee, i've got my eye on a bit of interesting looking country at the outer edge of the Palm Passage, NW of Myrmidon reef. In-between the 100m and 250m lines in about 150m are a few patches that rise to 97m, 84m, 62m and 58m. Would prefer to go out there with another boat. Interested? Not sure what we'd find there, but surely there'd be some good fish hanging around those patches?

Dave.

Thats sounds like an awesome trip. I'd have to line the deck with so much spare fuel there would be no room to fish!!

Foxy

I think that is what we call a rosy jobfish?

Pazz

sure alchelmy lets do it half the fun is exploring anyhow i will let you know how i went with this one no doubt ill stuff some of this one up. im hoping to anchor on the 80 metre spots and just hang on the 120 metre drop off .good idea or not i dont know especially at night do they come up to feed in shallower water or do they stay deep. i would guess sharks would drive you crazy at the edge

Quote Originally Posted by Pazz01 View Post
    Foxy

I think that is what we call a rosy jobfish?

Pazz
    Pazz, there very simular, but note the same. When you see them side by side there really quite different.
    I hope this pic comes out, its a page from the dpi booklet , the one on the top is a rosy and the bottom is a gold band ... foxy

Yeah we catch a lot of gold band and Rosie's in 120-150m. Im keen to go deeper but not sure what else is out there. Do red empd live that deep?