Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Foam floatation for boat?

Question Foam floatation for boat?

The foam flotation under the floor of my boat has gone due to petrol leak ......I can tell this foam is styrofoam because of the white gluey paste that has been left behind...

How can I clean the hull to get rid of the petrol smell and gluey paste.....do I just use water or soapy water?

How do I go about replacing the foam - I have read some previous threads about different types of foam - but if someone has some knowledge of how to tackle this job that would be great....I am happy to do the labour side but at the same time spend money on a quality product that I can install and find easily on the south east side of Brisbane.....

Any help would be appreciated....

Note: the petrol leak has been fixed and is no longer an issue...

Re: Foam floatation for boat?

I'm not sure how to get the glug out but one option for floatation is to use pool noodles. As they are seperate pieces they do not absorb water as much as many materials and are clean and easy to handle

Neil
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Thanks Neil - I read that on a previous post...but how do they go in regards to contact with petrol and flamability?

To clean the gunk you need a strong alkaline cleaner at about 5 to one, leave it sit there to dwell. Sometimes the solution will lift the crap out, most times after the dwell time you will have to scrub it. You long gloves ans the stuff I am talking about will take skin off. If you need any details or how to use etc contact me. Its a matter of a lot of water so hose it out if that is posible. Be aware that all strong alklalne cleaners will kill the grass and foam up big time.

Its best the better half is not around at the time because the bubble take a while to disappear.

If you a green tendencies, leave the gunk there

Be aware this stuff isnt so dolphin friendly but works a treat.

Gav

Pool noodles are good although they will hold many times their own weight in water if allowed to log, they start sucking up water pretty fast actually so fine for the higher parts of the hull. We just threw away last seasons pool noodles due to water logging, already they couldn't handle this new season.

I found that waiting for the goop to dry is the easiest way as it can be manually removed easier then, otherwise it's just a shocker short of cleaning it away with more fuel.

cheers fnq

In our boat we used polystyrene foam but wrapped it in black plastic. We splashed fuel on oneand the plastic did not melt but I would not like to see it soaking in petrol
    Pool noodles vary in quality a lot. We use them at work and one batch will last years and another will soak up water within a week. The outside layer must not be rough.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote from Grand Marlin

The best foam, and the only foam approved by survey, is the green closed cell Coolite foam
    It is dense, resistant to becoming waterlogged, not affected by fuel and I am pretty sure is flame retardant
    It would now be around $700 per cubic meter (I havent priced it for a while
    Quote from Briz
    So in the end what I decided was that while polyethylene costs a lot more – in my option it seems to be the best in that it

1. doesn’t absorb water
    2. is impervious to petro-chemicals
    3. you can bend it, cut it & squash it into where it needs to go 4. doesn’t wear away from abrasion, and[5. you can remove it if your hull needs to be repaired.
    Hope this helps

There are some good answers previously posted
    David

Quote Originally Posted by dnej View Post
    Quote from Grand Marlin

The best foam, and the only foam approved by survey, is the green closed cell Coolite foam
    It is dense, resistant to becoming waterlogged, not affected by fuel and I am pretty sure is flame retardant
    Quote from Briz
    So in the end what I decided was that while polyethylene costs a lot more – in my option it seems to be the best in that it

1. doesn’t absorb water
    3. you can bend it, cut it & squash it into where it needs to go 4. doesn’t wear away from abrasion, and[5. you can remove it if your hull needs to be repaired.
    Hope this helps

David
    Does anyone know where to buy either of these two products towards the SE of Brissy?

Quote Originally Posted by dnej View Post
    Quote from Grand Marlin

Quote from Briz

1. doesn’t absorb water
    Hope this helps

David
    Yeah that stuff is the closed cell polyurethane foam?, you can buy it cut custom from big blocks by foam sellers or you can visit a fibreglass supplier and purchase it in a 2 pac (not a pressure pac job..thats not the same stuff), the 2 pac and also the taylor made come in differing weight per sq ft or sqM the heavier for volume the stronger and more water proof it will stay and also the more expensive too. I think from when I worked it out you will need around 1sqm to float a 5.5m garden variety boat with a little give and take, it's a lot of foam.

cheers fnq

The green hard stuff is Polyurathane foam. It is known as closed cell foam but sucks up water . There is a slightly flexible green foam from Coldesign that may be the stuff you are looking for
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Plastic milk bottles with the lids screwed back on.

Better if some of the foam is higher up, like under the gunwale.
    If all the foam is under the floor, the boat will probably flip upside down if swamped.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Oh Gee View Post
    Plastic milk bottles with the lids screwed back on.
    Plastic milk bottles are useless and should never be used. They break down and fill up with water. I have seen sailing dingy's sink from using them. Closed cell foams are the only material suitable for boyancy. Although plain old polystyrene foam is a pain (especially with solvents) it is the cheapest material available.

Quote Originally Posted by reddybayfisher View Post
    The foam flotation under the floor of my boat has gone due to petrol leak ......I can tell this foam is styrofoam because of the white gluey paste that has been left behind...

How can I clean the hull to get rid of the petrol smell and gluey paste.....do I just use water or soapy water?

How do I go about replacing the foam - I have read some previous threads about different types of foam - but if someone has some knowledge of how to tackle this job that would be great....I am happy to do the labour side but at the same time spend money on a quality product that I can install and find easily on the south east side of Brisbane.....

Any help would be appreciated....

Note: the petrol leak has been fixed and is no longer an issue...

Hi All,

If your boat has an ABP (australian Builders plate) fitted and if the standards marked are AS1799 or ISO12213. Then i suggest you do the following.

Call the manufacturer and tell them that the styrofoam has melted and you want the hull cleaned out and foam replaced..

It states clearly in both the standards that "buoyancy materials that are subject to attack from fuel or oils must be provided adequate protection". This has always been the case and it is against the law to not do it.

Depending on where the boat is manufactured (which state) the authorities are slowly catching up. Trust me a boat builder that is challenged on this will back down at a million miles per hour. They all know they are breaking the law.

In fact there was an industry memo issued by The National Maritime Safety Comittee not more than a month ago on this exact issue.

Make it the builders problem. Styrofoam, melts in fuel, burns with a poisonous gas, breaks down in UV light and is just cheap unsafe crap.

Look up "Microlene" (soft PE Foam) Its a brand of polyethelene foam that is Aus Standards approved and about half the cost of poulyurethane foams (hard). demand that they use this.

As for the quantity required. again this is the manufacturers responsibility, they must tell you how much and where. if you do your own mods and down the track there is an issue, insurance will hold you responsible.(or at least take the manufacturer off the hook)

take a look at www.nmsc.com to find out more.

Consumer protection would tear them apart. Its against the law, and needs to be stopped.

Can you imagine a situation where your boat is swamped and there is not fuel leaking into the water everywhere...foam dissolves...your dead.

ask yourself what means has your boat builder taken to "Protect the foam" from attack???

Simple answer for 90% is none.

Cheers
    Boat Man

reddybayfisher, I had the same problem a few weeks ago, probably the same "leak", Wait till the petrol evaporates then the goo will just peel out, clean as.
    Then I replaced it with polystyrene off a building site, used 4 packing between roofing sheets. Don't know if it's the best stuff, but it does the job.