Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Mud Crab Cooking Tips???

Re: Mud Crab Cooking Tips???

Ok...I'm feeling generous...and half cut on good rum. My restaurant in Airlie caught fire Monday morning and is out of action for 3 months...or maybe forever so I may as well let the cat (recipe) out of the bag.....................and this is the self invented recipe for the best thing you will ever eat.

The best part is just cook your crabs as normal....I am an advocate...as you may have noticed for cleaning them first....but..whatever.

The Sauce!! & This may well need to be achiaved by Ausfish as an historical record! I once had a Canadian $$$$$ionaire fly me to his private superyacht by helicopter to cook this for his guests at $400 a head! It is flash...with a capital F for flash!

In no order and enough for 4 crabs (people)

6 cloves of garlic
    1 large red onion...rough chop
    1 thumb size peice of ginger
    3 large red chillis
    the roots and stems of 1 bunch of corriander (retain leaves)
    4 Kafir Lime Leaves (vital)

Puree in a food process with 1/2 cup peanut oil

Fry in hot wok for 1 minute.

Add 1 jar rogan josh (Pataks) curry paste.NOT SIMMER SAUCE>>PASTE!

Hot fry another minute

Add

1 Litre Coconut CREAM....None of this Lite crap or milk...CREAM
    100 ml Fish Sauce
    100 Grams brown palm sugar (no substitutes)
    200 ml sweet chilli sauce
    Juice of 4 limes
    3 lemon grass stalks. crushed

Stir...bring to simmer and simmer 10 minutes!

Remove lemon grass....chuck in cracked crabs...chopped leaves of corriander and some rough chopped shallot stalks.....simmer to heat through and then serve over Jasmine rice...pour over sauce and hop in.

Care must be taken not to moan and groan while you eat this.

Check out the reviews of our crab on tripadvisor web site...vsit our own site and click on the trip advisor link www.fishdvine.com.au or better still. Go chuck the pots in, sent the handbrake shopping and get ready to be gobsmacked.

30 years of cooking seafood has lead me to this...............THE BEST thing you will ever eat.

PS : Don't tell anyone the recipe

Kev

Sorry to hear about the fire in Airlie Kev. Thanks for that recipe...its just inspired me to try this 'crabbing' caper, then give the recipe a whirl. Though might have to work on another sauce as well.....a couple of the regular punters at my dinners don't like curry/chilli ( I love it - hotter the better). Still looking for a decent Sambal sauce to make Sambal Fish.

When ya get your joint up and running again, let us know and I will come up for a long weekend to patronize it. (will bring some people with me).

Cheers
    Greg

Thanks Greg,

Pretty devastating...especially after the weather dramas and just staring to recover.

Kitchen is destroyed and we will be out of action for around 3 months

Not sure what the future holds at present but after going to bed Monday night thinking I was ruined, I ened up with a much better insurance policy than I thought I had. Just one of those things I had trusted a long term broker with, paid the money and in the end, it was all the right policy for the circumstances. Never again will I grumble about insurance.

REgards

Kev

I reckon the secret to all the chilli and any other sorts of crab dishes is to cook the crabs first (as mentioned) all you need to do then is prepare the sauce, chuck in the crabs untill they are hot and your done, how easy is that?

creamy Chilli and Garlic clean and separate crab crack claws throw in wok leave for about mins add 300mils of thicken cream table spoon of garlic paste teaspon of chilli cook for further 5mins or until cream thickens best way took cook mud crab in my opinion