Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mud Crab Cooking Tips???

Mud Crab Cooking Tips???

Could anyone give me a few tips on cooking mud crabs.
    Thank you

Re: Mud Crab Cooking Tips???

Hi Keith.

Here's the best tip you will ever get.

Clean them first!

Makes an amazing difference to quality of body meat.

Once cleaned. Big Pot. just an inch of 2 of water and well fitted lid. Plenty of salt (or even better clean sea water. Bring to the boil. Put in crabs. Bring back to the boil and then boil/steam with lid on for 13 to 15 minutes (depending on the size of the crabs.

Fresh bread/cold beer =

PS : I cook and sell about 200 on a good week amongst the 2 tonne of fish I use a month inmy business and grew up on them as a kid. CLEAN THEM FIRST.

KC

Thanks KC - clean them first - will give that a run.

I cook em in a big pot on the end of my BBQ (apparently they stink, or so the fam tell me). Enough water to cover them, 3 tablespoons sea salt , 1 tablespoon raw sugar.

Bring it to the boil, toss em in, and then 15 minutes from when they return to the boil they are done.

Empty boiling water from pot, cover crabs in tap water and allow to cool for about 5.

If you did not clean them 1st - Use knife to lift flap on the bottom, take off top section of shell. Rinse out all the goop and take out the grey bits (lungs?).

Throw them in the fridge or on an ice slurry. Wait till chilled and eat eat eat!!!

Never had any complaints.

plus fresh cracked black pepper,fresh bread butter cold beer. simply unbeatable

Hi All,

Totally agree with the cleaning, salting and a bit of sugar. I also add a tablespoon of Japenese Mirin (seasoned rice wine vinegar) and a bit of ginger to the water.

Flavour really gets in......

Ok.....I will admit my failings as a recently converted Queenslander....I have never eaten mud crab....though i constantly here people raving over its taste and read all the reports about its eating qualities. In restaurants i cant afford it, i dont set crab pots so i dont catch any....and i dont have any mates who go crabbing so i cant bribe them. I have caught and eaten blue swimmers (sand crabs) in years gone by, and my mother loves em. Now my goal is to get a couple of these buggers and try them.

The question i have in relation to this post is..........how do you go about cleaning them before you cook them???????

Greg

as far as eating qualities goes (not the question by the way) I reckon Muddies are third on the list, first is Blue swimmers (sandies) then Spanners, then Muddies a distant third, but anyway, I have tried both methods clean first and cook, or cook then clean, and I reckon you cannot tell the difference, the clean first seems better (I reckon) because there is no crap after you have cooked them, I get a large Pot, add a good amount of salt (also not too sure that makes any difference either) bring water to boil, add Crab/Crabs and when back to Boil, cook for 12 to 15 Mins,, then into cold water to cool off quick, one thing to remember, is to make sure the crab is dead or chilled well (been in freezer for 10 mins)before putting in Pot if cooking whole (not cleaned) as they will throw their Nippers, now this does not make it taste any different, but it just looks better when presented if it is all in one piece. Another way to kill them is to "stab" them in the "mouth" with a screw driver or something, it kills them in a jiffy, also makes them mad as hell when you are doing it, now for all the greenies/animal libbers out there, I am not too sure it is any worse than feezing to death, or being cut up alive.

Slice up a lemon and throw it in the pot with the water.If you like chillie cut a few up and throw them in the pot,mmm chillie crab.

ooops, forgot to answer Gregs bit of the question, to clean them first is pretty easy, though it varies from person to person, some just remove the Shell and all the crappy bits inside (the gills/feathers and sh!t) then cook as is, other like to remove the Shell and then cut Crab in half (front to back) and cook in two bits, don't think it makes much difference how you do it, unless you are going to cook as Chilli Crab in a stir fry, if you are, then the crab is halved, then quartered and the Nippers cracked to allow flavor to penetrate.

maybe i will have to bribe someone to show me the way. Is there any step by step videos on how to do this? ( I can provide the beer if someone can provide the crabs and the know how)

or maybe even take me out and show me how its done (I will shout fuel, food,beer/drink of choice, provide tow vehicle).

Greg

found the below on the net last year, tastes abosolutly great. And can make it as hot or mild as you like, enjoy.

INGREDIENTS :
    • 6 live mud crabs
    • 4 tbsp peanut or vegetable oil
    • 3 tbsp garlic, finely minced
    • 2 tbsp ginger, finely grated
    • 1 large egg
    • salt and pepper
    To Combine [Chili Sauce] :
    • 4-5 tbsp or to taste, chili paste
    • 1 cup tomato ketchup
    • 2 tbsp sugar
    • 2 tbsp rice vinegar or lemon juice
    • 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
    • ½-1 tbsp soy bean paste [Miso paste]
    • 1 tbsp cornstarch
    • 1 cup water
    To Prepare :
    • Clean crabs and cut into halves.. Crack the shells and claws ever so gently with a wooden mallet
    • In a bowl combine chili sauce ingredients, mix well
    • Heat peanut or vegetable oil in a hot wok, add garlic, ginger and chili paste, stir-fry for 2-3 mins
    • Add combined chili sauce ingredients to wok
    • Bring sauce to a boil, add salt and pepper to taste [Note: Miso paste is salty, therefore taste before adding salt]
    • Toss in crabs, stir-fry to coat with the sauce, about 2 mins
    • Cover and cook crabs over med-high heat until the turn red in color
    • Lift cover from time to time to give it a good stir [check the sauce does not dry up, add some water if necessary]
    • When crabs are almost fully cooked, push crabs to the sides of the wok, or remove them with a slotted spoon
    • Break an egg into the sauce, stirring gently to form yellow and white streaks, then mix in the crabs
    • Remove crabs from the wok and keep warm, let stand 10 mins for flavors to meld
    • Serve with French baguette to dip into the yummy sauce - and have a nice cold one... preferably a Tiger!

6 muddies?????......would have to be a bloody big wok!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sleepygreg View Post
    6 muddies?????......would have to be a bloody big wok!!!!!!!!!!!
    A new plow disc with the hole welded I reckon.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

RUM INFUSED CHILLI CRAB

i agree with the others in regards to cleaning crab first. it is a must. easiest way to do this is to put them on ice for half hour peel the back shell off (keep this for later) and go from there.

boil your crab for about 15 mins (depending on size)
    in a wok heat couple table spoons of olive and peanut oil.
    add finely sliced ginger and garlic (dont let it burn, tastes like shit)
    add your crab and when sizzles add half cup of rum(doesnt over power the dish just adds a sweet glaze)
    add chilli to taste with some chopped shallots
    add juice of 1 lime
    finish with some chopped corriander
    only takes five min after crab has been boiled
    garnish with lime and lemon zest
    use back shell for dipping sauce bowl(should be boiled too, sorry forgot to say that)