Thread: Lake Maroon and Moogerah

Smile Lake Maroon and Moogerah

I am thinking about giving freshwater fishing a go at Moogerah and Maroon Dams. Questions as follows to you freshwater gurus and font of all knowledge:

1) I know that powered boats are allowed in Moogerah, what about Maroon and what is stocked in both?

2) I take it I will need an impoundment permit from the EPA to fish both but is there anything else I need in the form of permissions or permits?

3) How hard is it starting out and how would I go about it - Bait or lures/SPs and can I use my estuary gear with some hope of success?

Thanking you all in anticipation,

Cheers,

Craig

Re: Lake Maroon and Moogerah

You'll just need a SIP, no boating permits required. You'll be lucky to find somewhere to fish on Moogerah amongst the ski boats and jet skis. Maroon can be just as bad. Very early morning and late evening are the best times. Your Estuary gear will do fine.

My 2 favorite bass set ups are an egrell s1 with a 1000 size reel and a S2 with a 2500 size reel. Lures choices are endless but there are a few must have's for us in the tackle box. Sliders in baby bass colour and squdige fish or wriggler the small size in gary glitter colour, you can fish them with or with out a bettle spin. Grab some bettle spins I prefer gold and you can add any soft plastic/jig head combo you like to it, that is the advantage of them over spinner baits. Spinner baits vary in sizes and colours, they're good for snaggy country, they tend to bounce over snags well. We have small and large sizes and prefer white, purple and gold/black. Blades and lipless crank baits are good for schooled fish, lots of vibration. Ice jigs are another lure good for schooled fish but I haven't used them personally. I haven't done a lot of top water fishing but I'm sure someone will be able to help if you want to know more about it.
    If you do a search for bass lures you should come up with some good info and pics.
    Good luck Cheers Kim.
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...
    'Oh Shit.....she's awake'

Thanks very much to you both, I will look into getting the permit and giving it a go. I will watch out for the skiers as well.

Cheers and thank you both again,

Regards,

Craig

Make sure you let us know how you go!!
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...
    'Oh Shit.....she's awake'