Thread: Lure retrievers...

Lure retrievers...

What is the best lure retriever, other than a mate with scuba gear?
    Cost of hard bodies + endless snags + no cash = must have lure retriever.
    Have not even used a retriever before, but it is getting expensive...

All help appreciated.
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au

Re: Lure retrievers...

I use a medium sized Tackleback with about 6 links of 20mm light galv chain on the bottom as well. Sometimes when the loop doesnt catch the front of the lure the chain picks up the trebles and pull them off backwards.

They are not the be all and end all, but they do recover probably 80-90% of snagged lures and work down to probably around 60 feet would be the deepest i have retrieved from. Recovered for me many thousands of dollars worth of lures.

Jack.

60 feet WTF. how do they work

Mate have a look at the strikeback lure retriever.Not cheap but very effective & easy to use.Also the added advantage of being able to retrieve lures from overhead tree branches.We used one on our first trip to monduran & it paid for its self after about 3 days! Cheers Brad.

An extending alloy pole with a pig tail inserted in the end great for shallow snags, mangroves etc and gets the ones up the trees as well.

I bought mine however they would be easy to make.

I use the tackle back topender have had it for years and it gets 99% of the lures back find the exta weight good for barra lures which is what I mainly use.
    These are not expencive at all less than the cost of one lure.
    cheers Tod

Do the tackle backs have a cord or something attached to them?
    Or is all the pressure on the line?
    I mainly use 4lb and 6lb main lines, so don't think they would take too much pressure.

I do like the idea of getting them back out of trees as that happens a lot.
    Not a lot of fun from a Kayak!.
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au

Just buy some heavy cord from the hardware shop champion, and attach that to your tackleback.
    For casting lures that snag up, they are usually in the top 3 foot of the water colum, so I made my own version of the strikeback retriever, 4 foot of 25mm conduit, capped at both ends so it floats if dropped over the side, a piece of heavy fencing wire shaped in a pig tail and hose clamped to the conduit, with heat shrink over the clamps so they don’t tangle up on the braid. Works a treat.
    Cheers
    brian

hi,
    i have had a tackleback for years now, recon it has saved me thousands over the years, have tried fishing line (200lb), nylon rope, vb cord, but the best by far seems to be dacron, have about 8 meters on a small handline, don't know why the dacron seems to work the best???
    cheers
    dazza

Any chance of some pics of these home made Tackle Retrievers?

Here ya go, these work for me 99% of the time

I saw a clever home-made version of a strikeback recently, that incorporated a rare earth (strong) magnet near the pig tail. The idea is you dislodge the lure from the tree, and the magnet grabs the hooks so the lure doesn't drop into the bushy abyss.

BF