Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: E-Tec problems.

Re: E-Tec problems.

strangely enough Finga, I was just wondering the other day why they (E-Tecs) incite some much debate, is it an Evinrude hate thing? a 2 stroke hate thing? a jealousy thing? a 'small weiner" syndrome thing? almost no other product will get the Boat fraternity hotter in minutes than the mention of that 4 letter word etec??

I will throw in my 2 cents aswell then......I think it would be the whole 2 stroke hate theroy or maybe smell theory, noisy theroy or even thirsty theroy, or maybe the whole keep breaking theroy. But the thing that i think would get under peoples skin would be that they had to rubbish other brands to sell theres, and thats just not cricket.........

At least they have something good about the E-Tec's..... they have a bit 4 in them after all...... just pitty its only the letters . And be nice you E-Tec owners i have only got 4lb leader .

Cheers
    Matty

I think there may be some owners in the trail now, ready to bite!

The water temp must be to cold as I thought i cubed quite well !!!!!!!
    Or they just know i am telling the truth!!!!!!!!

Cheers
    Matty

Quote Originally Posted by business class View Post
    . But the thing that i think would get under peoples skin would be that they had to rubbish other brands to sell theres, and thats just not cricket.........

Cheers
    Matty
    Pretty spot on i reckon, when you have to promote your brand by attacking others it's very poor form , and attacking others in a misleading way, (eg motor set-ups) is even worse. Unfortunately some owners have carried on where BRP left off and carry on about there e-tecs like they are the be all and end all , and back this up with there own dodgy figures that are so out there that they defy phyisics!

Ian

There you go Matty you have teased them up, lets see if i can switch them!
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ozbee View Post
    THE MOST PEOPLE WHO HAVE TROUBLE WITH ETEC ARE PEOPLE WHO DON'T OWN ONE. eaiser to change the block as opposed to repair or diagnose a failed injector.

it must be hard to connect a laptop to a usb port on a engine . from there you can indvidually fire the injectors one at a time with the motor not running or running depending on what you want to diagonose also fire up the injector pump to check pressures.

sounds like a simple case of your mechanic not trained by brp. which is sad for evinrude as a lot of motor problems have been caused by small dealerships not putting the time in to be fully trained to set these motors up properly from the beginning.

whether you like e tecs or not they are a definite breakthrough in modern technology and to compare them to old ficht motors is about as relevant to compare your fourstrokes to the old carby motors.
    Ozbee, seeing you have looked into the Etec diagnostic system, can you tell us if the Outboard techs can or do measure the amount of fuel passed by an injector as this is more relevant than if it works or not!
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

THE MOST PEOPLE WHO HAVE TROUBLE WITH ETEC ARE PEOPLE WHO DON'T OWN ONE. eaiser to change the block as opposed to repair or diagnose a failed injector.

it must be hard to connect a laptop to a usb port on a engine . from there you can indvidually fire the injectors one at a time with the motor not running or running depending on what you want to diagonose also fire up the injector pump to check pressures.

sounds like a simple case of your mechanic not trained by brp. which is sad for evinrude as a lot of motor problems have been caused by small dealerships not putting the time in to be fully trained to set these motors up properly from the beginning.

whether you like e tecs or not they are a definite breakthrough in modern technology and to compare them to old ficht motors is about as relevant to compare your fourstrokes to the old carby motors.
    In reference to the laptop thingy.. There isn't a lot that can be done with an Etec that couldn't be done on a ficht i.e performing operating tests etc.

ozbee what qualifications do you have on ficht engines??? please explain where the differences are comparing etec's to ficht's I am particularly interested in the fuel injection system and the controls around this?

Feel free to PM me if you feel the need
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

UH OH, the line has just snapped from the rigger clip!! but Spaniard seems to have a slightly better lure. (and he just might be correct)

I will just say sorry for all the E-Tec owners, as they can not attend this conversaion due to constant engine breakdowns which they are fixing at this current moment, but will return shortly to post a reply once there new 4 stroke is finally fitted ...... sorry for the inconvienence

Cheers
    Matty

ficht had as i have been told had a basic injector in one that is compatible to any cylinder.

if you look on a etec on the side of the injector there is a reference letter which is different on each cylinder. a injector if just replaced will run but not necessarily the best. it has to be calibrated by the mechanic by choosing an ejector within the tolerance level given by brp within in reference to that injector number.

in short the injectors are calibrated differently to each cylinder as there is difference in mixture as you are aware the leanness of a motor is the top cylinders compared to the bottom of the block.

this is the advice given to me as i watched him install the new injector. he has spent a considerable amount of time each year being trained by brp and gives advice to other etec dealerships on trouble motors in north Queensland.

a 250 etec with different calibrated injector pressures and ecm can easily develop up to 500 horsepower which is why they are one of the favoured motors for racing at present . the down side is they have had cooling problems in getting the water up to the head hence the change in water intake design in the newer models.

as the mechanic said there is no comparison they are two differently designed motors. one is very much old technology compared to new.

So let me get this right so you have limited experence with the ficht, and limited experence with mechanical side of both engines, but because the BRP mechanic said the E-Tec's are better and have newer technology he is right....... .........

I thought you said before (QUOTE) that people who have the most trouble with E-Tec's are the ones who don't own one...... meaning if you don't have first hand knowledge or experence then don't comment on something you don't know......... Haven't you just done that with your last comment.( Ficht had, as i have been told).....

a quick simple bushmens guide is run your finger around the exhaust inside of the prop the colour is slightly different between a straight block like a 150 to a v block like my 250 . all because of engine design mainly from the injectors and there calibration. most people would not pick up a faulty injector straight up as in a v six in fact he showed how by disconnecting a plug the motor tunes itself and a miss is pretty much not readable. the best way to find a faulty injector is to look at the exhaust colour and probable soot.

Ok lets get over this whole Argueing thing as i have found a way to solve all the E-tech problems........... it consists of 1 number and 6 letters...................... ............4 STR0KE............

PLUS. then we all get to spend more time doing what we all love to do. FISH.

a quick simple bushmens guide is run your finger around the exhaust inside of the prop the colour is slightly different between a straight block like a 150 to a v block like my 250 . all because of engine design mainly from the injectors and there calibration. most people would not pick up a faulty injector straight up as in a v six in fact he showed how by disconnecting a plug the motor tunes itself and a miss is pretty much not readable. the best way to find a faulty injector is to look at the exhaust colour and probable soot.

Gee and this simple bushmans guide didn't alert you to your problems a while back? Didn't it have a few false starts and trips back to your engine guru before they found the problem? I guess this is where your outstanding knowledge of injectors comes from, countless hours of wiping your finger around the exhaust port on your engine

ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

AT LEAST I HAD THE FORESIGHT to learn from one of the most trained brp mechanic in the country who by age was repairing outboards before you were born and of all brands

as for business class your pretty much down to cattle crate economy in that my opening statement was that the most people who have trouble with etecs dont own one .WHICH PRETTY WELL SUMS IT UP AS ONE OF YOU.