Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: E-Tec problems.

Re: E-Tec problems.

Not one issue. If you want an opinion, go directly to the owners. Great, tough all round engine with plenty of grunt and smooth to operate. 200 V6.

Seems to me there can not be too many problems with them, just try and buy a second hand one, not sure about dealers but hardly ever see one advertised.
    Mark

How much more efficent of fuel would you be guessing, from a 1998 70hp johnson. 2 strk. to a 75hp etec...

Ive heard the 75 produces over that in hp. yet the 90 is a little less? anyone heard this or better still know the facts?

I was thinking of going optimax. as i do favour merc/mariner. but the weight is a real issue for me,I looked into 4 strokes but there weight kills them too.

anyone anyidear on the life span of these etecs...? 1000 hours? then down hill, or a few more?

why would you think they would only last 1,000 hours?? any Motor, 2 strke, 4 stroke or any other stroke can and will last for 5 times that amount, if it has been cared for and Serviced, something will usually kill an Outboard before it wears out, been tooting that trumpet for many years now, how long any Motor lasts is completely unrelated to operating pricipal.

I just know with Mercury marine in the earlyier days itd be based on 1000 hours. then down hill, but that was a few years ago now.... and oils ect have improved... although i have seen many many mercs with well over the 1000hour mark.

just thought mabee etecs have a stated ( life period) as such.

Quote Originally Posted by iceknight View Post
    How much more efficent of fuel would you be guessing, from a 1998 70hp johnson. 2 strk. to a 75hp etec...
    from my experience of a 70 Johnno and 90 Etec on the same hull I find economy has increased about 35%...plus of course higher top speed,cruise speed, more torque, less oil,less servicing,less noise ...but then again I'd stop for a boatie in distress ....

Hows it going Splash

Good question I would more than likely get the 130
    looking over both the new motors they are essentially the 115 power head with a new air intake and new exhaust.

At the moment the air comes in the cowling and runs underneath the motor where the new motors have the intake routed over the motor . to handle to new air flow the cowling the new cowling sits about 35mm higher than the current model

Russ

(sorry to hijack the thread guys)

i got a 150 etec had 2 injectors replaced after 2 yrs and my mategot a 115 had injectors replaced after 11/2 yrs
    all good now but thirsty
    pete

As for no service until 300 hours.

My new car has just done 15000Ks at an average of 50Km/H & is ready for its first service.

Do the math & its 300 Hours

Sounds right to me.

Settle down there Jabba, no need to get yourself worked up over my opinion.

I've never owned an E-tec cause my Yammie has never let me down.

Remember its just my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by whatscracken View Post
    I'm not sure if the E-tecs are as good as they are cracked up to be, Just my two bob
    I guess cause I have not owned a Yammie I can say "Im not sure if Yammies are as good as they are cracked up to be, just my two bobs worth"

How mindless is a statement like that

Whatscracken, I just ask what experiance you have had with the E-tec, I.E. whether you use to own one or if a friend off yours has/had one... It seems you have no experiance with the E-tec's, good or bad... So how was you opinion formed??...

a injector on a etec are not all the same it has to be calibrated to a certain cylinder . if you look on the side of the casing there is number that you notice that is different to other injectors . if any injector is placed on it will run ok but will be less fuel efficient . why the simple reason is a engine block always runs leaner the further up you go . this is taken into account and is tuned for you must remember a 250 etec with changed injector pressures and ecm can develop around 500 horsepower but will suffer more engine wear. a four stroke with a turbo can develop a fair amount of hp also but is less likely to run as long and lean because of lack of upper cylinder lubricant . the disadvantage of owning a etec is that many mechanics are not trained to service or set them up correctly. time will change as new mechanics are trained by brp . while i own both and each has its good points service is the most important key and you must admit for a brand of motor that until recently was not supplying the lower horsepower market it has one quite a lot of increasing market share from a base of near collapse ficht motors as successful as the four stroke market made at the beginning. i say go both as long as we have competition we are more likely to get a better product cause as soon as one gets ahead they tend to sit on there ass and rake in the dough ,perfect example Honda look how long they took to go efi and are paying the price now

[quote=iceknight;934067]How much more efficent of fuel would you be guessing, from a 1998 70hp johnson. 2 strk. to a 75hp etec...

quote]

I went from a 150 Johnno Ocean Pro to a 150 E-TEC and the difference is old motor 0.74Nm/L to new motor 1.2Nm/L.

Les

Two of the blokes I work with have e-bombs both bought new at the same time and have had to have injectors replaced, both about 8-10 months out of warranty so very expensive fixes. Both these motors also had several trips back to the dealer for other fuel/electronic issues whilst in warranty. Now before anyone bores it up me both these blokes are mates who I do know well and regularly fish with so it is not heresay or a bs yarn. When there going there like any outboard but as far as new motors go I reckon there failure rate is well above average. 90% of commercial blokes use 4 st and theres a reason for that ,reliability and economy.the old argument about servicing costs has been done to death and the reality is that once out of warranty any owner that can wipe their own blot can service a 4 st outboard and it is not an expensive operation. The commercial blokes around here have upwards of 4000 hors on 140 suzukis and their maintanance schedule consists of engine and gearbox oil @ 200hrs, filters @ 200 hrs plugs 4-500 hrs and impellors when required. servicing and warranties are a funny thing but because a motor that has had the $hit belted out or it dragging skiers etc requiers servicinc @ 100 hrs as does the old mopoke fisherman that pokes about or the game fisho who trolls @ 6-8 kts all day. Sorry for the ramblings but my two bobs worth.( I run adiesel so have no vested interest in any outbord maufacturer)