Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P.B. Barra does it count?

P.B. Barra does it count?

Does that new Personal best barra that you caught count, or do you adhere to some of the the elitist comments coming from some quarters.

If you caught the fish by legal means, then to me it counts.

But some comments that I have heard in the recent years include.

Impoundment barra aren't real barra and don't count.

If you don't catch it casting it doesn't count.

Trolling doesn't count.

What is your opinion.

Regards

Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

Re: P.B. Barra does it count?

Anyone who has caught a Impoundment barra will know it is all on from hook up to boat side, I had a fish stitch me this last trip for 45 minutes I mannaged to un weave his magic only to have the lure near hit me on the scone at the boat side. So nope a Barra is a barra and regardless of were it was caught it is a big strong fish that can bring down some serious terminal tackle. In saying that Impoundment Barra do grow bigger and average size is bigger then the salty counterpart and with respect I dont think that records should be taken from inpoundments I think it should be only a record if taken from its Nataral Habbitat.

Flicking IMHO is more rewarding then trolling but reallity says a fish is a fish regardless and the ones that were so called flickers myself included were all out trolling thursday and friday, and all those fish caughtand there was a few many fish won there battle from hooks straightened to line breaks and some even broke rods and thats trolling.

A PB is a PB a barra is a barra its all good and a heap of fun!

Cheers Nath

Quote Originally Posted by mylestom View Post
    Does that new Personal best barra that you caught count, or do you adhere to some of the the elitist comments coming from some quarters.

If you caught the fish by legal means, then to me it counts.

But some comments that I have heard in the recent years include.

Impoundment barra aren't real barra and don't count.

If you don't catch it casting it doesn't count.

Trolling doesn't count.

What is your opinion.

Regards

Trev
    This old Chestnut Trev.....G'Day and good to catchup again even if it's electronically.....No doubt in my mind...A Barra is a Barra and make's no difference how and where you fish for them for me......Casting lures u still have to find them and get them to strike.....If things are quite casting, Trolling is your other option which is an art in it's self....Depth of lure...Wind....Impoundment current.....speed veration...it's all good stuff and suits me down to the ground......Enough about that has that new E-Tec arrived, you must be chaffing at the bit...look forward to seeing the outfit next time we meet at Monduran.....This post should create an interesting responce......Cheers Whitto PS Im struggling to get off 1.10 for my PB am confident of doing that this year
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Well a P.B is a Personal Best. It’s the best that you have personally done so I don't care how or where it’s caught.

Its a personal milestone or bench mark for an angler, not a group of anglers, your mates or anyone else for that matter.

The PB record is for only one person and that is the holder of the new PB. Personally I don’t care what anyone else says when it’s a blatant attempt to belittle the capture as the records will always show that your PB is your PB. This goes for any species.

As for Pond fish versus wild fish well depending on who you talk to you get different responses such as “its easier to catch barra in the wild as they are everywhere at certain times of the year” and “ pond barra don’t fight “

Once again I go fishing for the personal gain and all that matters to me are my views and the same views of like minded anglers and not the views of purists. As long as I am happy, is all that matters to me.

Cheers

Lee

Hi Trev,
    My opinion for what it's worth.Casting or trolling,Wild or impoundment,To me,It don't matter.

What I consider to be caught is :- I only count a fish to be landed when I actually liberate it myself.EG :- I have to remove the hooks from the fish.

Fish that shake hooks out at my feet are not counted as captures for me.Only the fish I release,Make my list as being caught.And tick over on my fish counter.

It'll be intresting to see others thoughts on this one...Nice thread.

Cheers. B8.
    The underlying spirit of angling,Is that the skill of the angler,Is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish,And that the latter is entitled to an even chance for his life. Regards, Hardb8.Kickin tails and razin scales since 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitto View Post
    This old Chestnut Trev.....G'Day and good to catchup again even if it's electronically.....No doubt in my mind...A Barra is a Barra and make's no difference how and where you fish for them for me......Casting lures u still have to find them and get them to strike.....If things are quite casting, Trolling is your other option which is an art in it's self....Depth of lure...Wind....Impoundment current.....speed veration...it's all good stuff and suits me down to the ground......Enough about that has that new E-Tec arrived, you must be chaffing at the bit...look forward to seeing the outfit next time we meet at Monduran.....This post should create an interesting responce......Cheers Whitto PS Im struggling to get off 1.10 for my PB am confident of doing that this year
    Whitto,

Tnks for response, all of us have personal targets and dreams, realisation of gaining that P.B. should be a personal triumph as it deserves to be.

We all celebrate others P.B. as well such as such as Simons, Nathan and Rob's in the last few weeks. All deserving fishers and great efforts from all.

Pick up new boat and trailer on Wednesday, fitting out today, but still no new Etec yet, could even be Jan. Will be just looking at it till the new motor arrives.

Sold old boat and motor to mate down here and he will wait for delivery until I get the Etec.

Cheers

Trev

Yes, Barra are Barra. The hundreds of anglers that say Freshwater Barra don't fight obviously have never caught one - I throw this line back at them everytime. I took a mate out this morning who doesn't fish much and he saw me land a fish in the 90's (92) that went buzurk with aerial's. To this day he has always given me flack that Dam Barra don't fight, but after this morning when he heard my Curado go off he kind of had to swallow his words (kind of!).

IMHO, and this might throw a cat, but to me Trolling does not count. I caught a Barra trolling about 2 and a bit months back that was much larger then my PB and although I was rapt to have it in the Boat there was a part of me which said 'this doesn't count'. 3 weeks later I beat that PB again, this time casting. Why you ask? As a good old bloke up here says, Trolling is for Marlin and casting is for Barra. Thats exactly the way I see it. I personally feel like an idiot putt-ing around in my tinny flicking my Rod trying to get fish to bite. Trolling is a very useful technique that catches a crapload of fish don't get me wrong, most of them them good size fish at that, but a true anglers test of skill is to stand and turn on fish, not sit and drive. Yes there is skill to it, but not nearly as much as Lurecasting - not even close.

Just my H.O

Theo
    TT

I believe it all comes down to personal enjoyment. I enjoy casting and trolling (but only if I'm driving). In some situations trolling has been the only way to produce and has been effective on slow days. So for me, both these methods count. Baitfishing however hold no such joy. As such I do not really baitfish much and to this day, have only ever caught one barra with this method. So for me, baitfishing would not count.
    It is also about the challanges we set for ourselves. We may feel that we have only earned a fish if caught a certain way. It could be casting only, or flyfishing, or casting from a bank for wild barra using a 12lb handline with an improvised lure while standing on one foot and blindfolded. Either way these are our own personal goals and count only to ourselves and not forced onto others.
    So for me, if it caught legally, it counts.

Goddy

Well,
    at the recent Agnes Waters M&G, i was in the tinny in the creek with Black Rat quietly motoring along and a big barra almost jumped into the boat, hit the side, flipped around a bit on the side then slide off.. damm thing was heading straight for my head I reckon.. i could off won by technical knock-out?

Embarrassing but true, with the lack of fish caught by usual means offshore by all the boys if she had of landed in the boat she would of easily been best catch of the week lol

mike
    Tangles KFC

Quote Originally Posted by TinarooTriumph View Post
    Yes, Barra are Barra. The hundreds of anglers that say Freshwater Barra don't fight obviously have never caught one - I throw this line back at them everytime. I took a mate out this morning who doesn't fish much and he saw me land a fish in the 90's (92) that went buzurk with aerial's. To this day he has always given me flack that Dam Barra don't fight, but after this morning when he heard my Curado go off he kind of had to swallow his words (kind of!).

IMHO, and this might throw a cat, but to me Trolling does not count. I caught a Barra trolling about 2 and a bit months back that was much larger then my PB and although I was rapt to have it in the Boat there was a part of me which said 'this doesn't count'. 3 weeks later I beat that PB again, this time casting. Why you ask? As a good old bloke up here says, Trolling is for Marlin and casting is for Barra. Thats exactly the way I see it. I personally feel like an idiot putt-ing around in my tinny flicking my Rod trying to get fish to bite. Trolling is a very useful technique that catches a crapload of fish don't get me wrong, most of them them good size fish at that, but a true anglers test of skill is to stand and turn on fish, not sit and drive. Yes there is skill to it, but not nearly as much as Lurecasting - not even close.

Just my H.O

Theo
    Theo,

Agree with the comment in regard to impoundment barra fighting, as good as the billabong barra and saltwater barra that I have caught in Territory.

Can't agree with your comment on trolling though, as that would discount heaps of barra and very capable anglers like the boys in the Barra Bash on the Daly River, trolling can be a very relaxed method of fishing, but the same as any angling, there is varying degrees of Trolling.

Tie up to a tree and casting, or anchoring and casting or electric and casting, are all acceptable methods of angling, trolling by first locating fish then putting the right lure in the right place is just as acceptable.

Besides there are a lot of anglers, young, old, female and anglers with disabilities, who enjoy their fishing but don't have the ability to cast all day, or don't enjoy it, so why should there skills and abilities not be an acceptable form of fishing.

Regards

Trev

well trev this is a good one for sure this post and i belive a barra caught whether cuaght trolling caught casting or caught on bait if its ya pb it ya pb are there some blokes out there that are trying to turn the fishing scene like the surfing scene where surfboard riders reckon there the only real surfers and bodyboarder reckon there the only real surfers and so on and so on hey everyone lets all get over our selfs if you get a pb then well done no matter how ya get it unless ya use a net or soming dirty like that i have heard the caster say there style takes more skill than i like to do both and i like to use bait as well for mangrove jacks i work my tides and plan my trip just as much as a bloke who is going to cast the arms off all day i have caught my last 2 pbs on casting and trolling and both where just as rewarding as the next

And i reckon you have to be versitile on the day if they are reating on the cast then a troll might get the to bite so you go to be flexable to what is need on the day
    just my view

Your only aloud to criticise trolling if your willing to do it from time to time. I Troll sometimes for freshwater fish if the situation calls for it. Does the fish still count? Yes. Would i have prefered to have caught that fish casting? Yes again. But if trolling was the technique required to catch fish on the day and you've driven for half a day and invested hundreds of dollars into a trip were the aim is to catch fish then your a bit of a ######## if you stick to casting all day. in saying that once you've caught a few fish your not expanding yourself as a fisherman by sticking to the same technique. If the fish are there and biting on the troll then it's time to try and catch them using a casting technique. You never know the next time you go fishing trolling might not be practical. Have your own standards regarding wild/impoundment, braid/mono, trolling casting, lineclass etc but yeh its plain rude to say to someone else that their fish doesn't count because its not your preferred fishing style.

Quote Originally Posted by mylestom View Post
    Can't agree with your comment on trolling though, as that would discount heaps of barra and very capable anglers like the boys in the Barra Bash on the Daly River, trolling can be a very relaxed method of fishing, but the same as any angling, there is varying degrees of Trolling.
    I'll pay that. I havn't done much in the Saltwater, and listening to experienced anglers up North where I am, trolling is the number one form of big barra captures in the Rivers. It just comes down to the dynamics of a River system. Those same blokes share the same views as me when it comes to Impoundment fish.

The percentages lie with Lurecasting.

Good thread mate.

Cheers

Theo
    TT

It aint much different to the wild trout versus hatchery trout, albeit the hatchery trout are usually more gullible to take anything on offer almost.

Personally if i wanted to catch a barra I could not give a rats arse if it was a wild fish or farmed fish although i do have preferences towards saltwater.

It will not be long before we are faced with managed fishing resorts and managed stocks and managed ways to catch treat and eat the fish stocks all for a user pays empire. We currently think we are tightly controlled now.....just wait a decade or two and rethink your current assessment.

There are hunting retreats in other parts of the world where you already book in a yr in advance and get charged for every shot you make at an animal be it a rabbit or a bear. Oh, and its becoming very popular and profitable, guess where our fishing will take us?

Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy87 View Post
    Your only aloud to criticise trolling if your willing to do it from time to time. I Troll sometimes for freshwater fish if the situation calls for it. Does the fish still count? Yes. Would i have prefered to have caught that fish casting? Yes again. But if trolling was the technique required to catch fish on the day and you've driven for half a day and invested hundreds of dollars into a trip were the aim is to catch fish then your a bit of a ######## if you stick to casting all day. in saying that once you've caught a few fish your not expanding yourself as a fisherman by sticking to the same technique. If the fish are there and biting on the troll then it's time to try and catch them using a casting technique. You never know the next time you go fishing trolling might not be practical. Have your own standards regarding wild/impoundment, braid/mono, trolling casting, lineclass etc but yeh its plain rude to say to someone else that their fish doesn't count because its not your preferred fishing style.

well said and i also reckon that some of us arent that lucky that the dam is right beside so if trolling is what will reward us with a fish then thats what i would do
    plus nothing more relaxing then trolling around the dam and taking in the enviroment the fish have all the time and i agree saying that to someone is a joke we all are out the for the same goal to land a aussie icon no matter the technique