Thread: Curado E5 or E7?

Curado E5 or E7?

Decided to get one of the new Curado 200Es, but can't decide between the 5:2 gear ratio of the E5 or the 7:1 gear ratio of the E7. Will mainly use it casting for Barra and Bass with minnows, divers, spinnerbaits, and lipless crankbaits.

Would the high ratio of the E7 be a plus or a minus for twitching? It would no doubt be a plus for the lipless cranks and casting at pelagics.

Anyone tried both?

Re: Curado E5 or E7?

Strewth,

Mate i just purchased a 200E5 for chasing barra. Personally i think the E5 will be much better for a majority of situations during barra fishing. For bass however the E7 may be more desirable. Always easier to wind faster than slower i feel.

Cheers
    Rockfish

Thanks Rockfish

Apart from the gear ratio, the E5 has a bigger drag washer and an extra lb of drag (the E7 is 11 lb, the E5 is 12lb). Wonder why Shimano chose not to do a 6:1?

Strewth

Strange... I would imagine the E7 would have the better drag as it must have a bigger main gear to get the higher ratio, This in turn would mean a larger surface area for the drag and bigger drag washers. Most of the bait casting reels i own these days have higher gear ratio's. I definitely prefer them and find them much nicer to use for most types of fishing i do. For me its easier to slow down then speed up, trying to get any sort of speed out of a 5:1 can be frustrating. Keeping in mind that the spool size is quiet small on most bait caster the higher gearing still doesn't make them that awfully quick.

Well thats my 2 cents
    Cheers Chris

Thanks for your thoughts Chris.

The small difference in drag capacity is not well advertised, and has caught a few by surprise. You can see the difference in washer size on the schematic.

My concern with the E7 would be the torque required to crank some of the bigger Barra lures - eg the Classic 120 , River Rats etc. It would no doubt be fine for minnows and lipless crankbaits, where the resistance is small.

Strewth.

If your worried about the drag throw a carbotex kit in it from jack erskine. Just done that with mine cost $15.20 for the two washers. As for gears and torque i'm sure the E7 would be strong enough to handle it. Jas Wilhelm uses the Calais DC7 7:1 gear ratio as part of his baitcasting gear on his guides at monduran and awoonga. Most people wouldn't worry about the cranking as many person's technique with deep diving crank baits is to twitch the lure down and only retrieve slack line with the reel. Not really pulling the lure with the reel. Hope this helps

Cheers
    Stu

Stu

Which Carbontex washer set fits the Curado E7? Couldn't see one on the website.

Strewth

If you give Jack Erskine a call he can make up any size washers you desire. I don't think all his kits are advertised on his website, he generally though has drag washers in stock for most common reels, again if not, he can make em up, I have got him to make washers for all sorts of obscure reels I have .

Also quickly i just might add i don't often take too much notice of the drag claims that manufactures make, usually they are out, sometimes way out. I have and Antares DC& LV that is suppose to pull roughly 5kg of drag, no matter how i screw that drag star down it doesn't come close. If you want heavy drag carbotex washers are the way to go, that or some skillful thumb work .

Cheers Chris

I've had my 7 for a couple of weeks now - love it. But I havent tried the 5 to compare.
    Personally I prefer the higher ratio, I'm with Bayfisher, easier to for me to slow down. Due to closed cod season, I havent used it on bibbed lures yet, but only only Jackall TN70's etc. I found it great for this type of lure.

Christened the reel on a cranky 18lb cod so very happy with performance - although nothing like a big cranky barra I spose!

Happy shopping.

Cin

i have the e5 and am stocked, great drag even when locked its very smooth, light and casts way better then the old curado.
    already accounted for a few good size jack.
    for me i chose the e5 as i find it easier to wind faster then slower,

Well i bought an e5 last weekend and i am yet to use it,i also have the 200dhsv in 7:1 ratio and a couple of the older 200b's.I found the 7:1 ratio good for cast retrieve for barra it took some time to get used to but now i prefer it.The e7 wasn't avaliable to me the other day but i'm considering taking it back and waiting on a e7 to arrive.

Dan...

Yeah I recently bought one of the E7's because i figured I'd probably use it to flick metals at pelagics from time to time and I reckon it's easier to wind a high retrieve reel slower than it is trying to go nuts on a slower retrieve reel (ok for a little while but i knocks you up pretty quickly).

I just got back from a weeks solid casting up around Hinchinbrook and the reel performed flawlessly. The gearing wasn't a problem for retrieving lures as i usually use the rod to twitch the lure (or fight the fish) and then only use the reel to retrieve the slack line.

Very nice reel though. I was able to easily cast lures down to about 6-8g (30lb fins over a 6-8kg T-curve). At the moment i'd find it very hard to justify any more money to go up to the Chronarch. The models specs are so close with this new model of the Curado out now.

Richard