Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which esky techni ice or big chilli

which esky techni ice or big chilli

hi all been given the green light to get a esky but cant make up my mind which one to go with either the 80l techni ice or the 80l big chilli.

the other thing that bugs me is how deep the 80l are its a pain to find stuff in them. i think that the longer ones will not hold ice as well as a deep one , it will be for beer mostly because the missus uses the waeco for the foody stuff. thanks all

Re: which esky techni ice or big chilli

Just got a 95L Big Chilli, the model I got is not as deep as the 80L
    Its in between the Mackrel Esky and the 80L
    Almost 1m long, and about 500 x 500, also has a basket that hangs above the ice

Which ever you can get cheapest is the best. I have both. The 70 litre big chillie i have has had a 4kg bag of ice in townsville about 4days ago and was topped up with a 10kg bag 2 days ago. No prep, nothing but it was in 35deg sun today and still froze a few jack and cod. My techni does the same no problem.

We topped up the eskie with another 10kg bag of ice today, but did not need it. Problem we have now is that we are going to have to throw some ice out to fit beers for tomorrow session.

gee now im thinking of going the 90l.

in the way of keeping ice cold and lasting longer are you better off keeping it full to the top, or does it not make a diference. if its not opened every 5 min. because 90l seems like alot of ice for a few cartons but when we go fishing its normally for a few days and shops can take a long time to get to.

My 2 bobs worth. It is proven that the squarer eskies keep ice longer but as u said, can be a pain to get in and out of. I have the 80lts Techni Ice as well as a cheaper one and the TI is far better. Which ever way u go can I advise getting some TI sheets, the ones u freeze, put them in the bottom of the esky, then beer, then ice, keep for ages. Note, don't let the TI sheets come in contact with food items as they will absorb smell and fluid, some boofhead(read me) put some steaks in the esky and the blood was absorbed by the sheets, in the bin for those ones.
    Cheers, Pete.

my thoughts are if the esky is for beer only it isn't much of a problem with getting things from the bottom . just get the next beer from the top or somewhere near
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

I've got two techni ice {80L & 100L} and they aren't worth a pinch of .... Absolute Rubbish.

Dry storage is all they're good for.

Not recommended from this little black duck

cheers guys i like the idea of putting the sheets on the bottom at least that kind of raisers the floor a litle as well,

but im not shore what you mean 2manylures by dry storage are you talking about useing it with dry ice or more so for the bread as a tucker box. if thats the case what esky are you using cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by grey_inflatable View Post
    cheers guys i like the idea of putting the sheets on the bottom at least that kind of raisers the floor a litle as well,

but im not shore what you mean 2manylures by dry storage are you talking about useing it with dry ice or more so for the bread as a tucker box. if thats the case what esky are you using cheers.
    As an ice holding proposition the two I have are useless & a waste of money.

Yes I meant only for holding non perishable tucker, clothes or cookware when camping.

They'll keep the wet out better than they keep the cold in.

I"ve had these for almost 12 months and just recently used them. The 80L 1st and thought I may have scored a dud. The 100L is as useless. All the seals are fine, I just don't think there's any insulation in them. One dud I could understand but two is a bit hard to wear.

I have some Yank Coleman eskies in smaller sizes as well as a 130L & you can't go past them for ruggedness, durability & moreso there ice holding capabilities.

I make my own 10kg blocks of ice which last a week to 10 days in the Coleman during hot weather {35-48 degrees here} & a max of 48hrs in techni ice under 30 degrees.

ANYTHING BUT TECHNI ICE in my humble opinion from experience.

Hope that helps, let us know what you decide.

My 2 cents - I've got the 80lt big chilli, threw a bag of ice in there, 2-3 days later there was still a bit of ice left....for my intended use(Boat for single day outings) more than sufficient.

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Pete62 View Post

Which ever way u go can I advise getting some TI sheets, the ones u freeze, put them in the bottom of the esky, then beer, then ice, keep for ages. Note, don't let the TI sheets come in contact with food items as they will absorb smell and fluid, some boofhead(read me) put some steaks in the esky and the blood was absorbed by the sheets, in the bin for those ones.
    Cheers, Pete.
    Irrespective of what unit you buy, ....try this ...........

Ice and a couple of handfuls of Swimming Pool Salt, then beer or whatever, then repeat, Ice & salt, then whatever etc. etc. as many times as you need to.
    Cover with a sheet of Hessian ( bag or cloth , doesn't matter.)

The Salt slows down the melting of the Ice & also makes it superchill.

You can get freezing cold beer from a warm carton in 20 min.

Warning...use Cans if you're going to leave it for a long time as it will freeze the beer , and then a stubbie could explode.

May even help you out 2manylures, it'll certainly make the ice last longer
    Last edited by Donny Boy; 21-11-2008 at 04:21 PM. Reason: more info
    Don.
    "Magpie Navy." VHF 73.

It was a Woman who drove me to Drink......
    ....and I never gave her money for the Petrol......

Quote Originally Posted by Donny Boy View Post
    Irrespective of what unit you buy, ....try this ...........

Ice and a couple of handfuls of Swimming Pool Salt, then beer or whatever, then repeat, Ice & salt, then whatever etc. etc. as many times as you need to.
    Cover with a sheet of Hessian ( bag or cloth , doesn't matter.)

The Salt slows down the melting of the Ice & also makes it superchill.

You can get freezing cold beer from a warm carton in 20 min.

Warning...use Cans if you're going to leave it for a long time as it will freeze the beer , and then a stubbie could explode.

May even help you out 2manylures, it'll certainly make the ice last longer
    Just an fyi: The adding of salt actually lowers the freezing temp. of water.

You therefore have a liquid, that is below zero degrees, and far more effective at cooling items that are submerged in it!

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by 2manylures View Post
    I've got two techni ice {80L & 100L} and they aren't worth a pinch of .... Absolute Rubbish.

Dry storage is all they're good for.

Not recommended from this little black duck
    I will take them off your hands for you
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    I will take them off your hands for you
    No worries, They're yours!

You can have the junk for what I paid for it plus postage.

$277 for both & roughly $60 postage via courier.

Wouldn't even make a good live bait tank

2manylures what is the problem with the Techni Ice eskies.