Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: which esky techni ice or big chilli

Re: which esky techni ice or big chilli

Evakool for me the best on the market have 2 in my boat one is 12y old some of the rubber closing straps on it had broken so i rang evakool to ask if i could buy some new ones, will they could not have been any more helpful they ended up sending me at no charge new 2 sets
    And they are Australian made cheers

Got 2 Techni Ice (70 l and 40l), both good both hold ice well for me, about the same as Everkool and Tropical as I have both them as well.

I too agree with the aftersales service of Everkool. My 65l is now 10 years old and needs a few repairs. I rang the factory at Caloundra and I was told bring it in and we'll look after you ! Quite happy to pay a seasonable charge for the repairs as it is an expensive box to replace.
    In my opinion the Everkool does not suit bashing around in a boat, the H/duty plastic type boxes are more suited IMHO.

Regards
    Craigie.

Blog Entries

hi buddy have got both bought from ebay 70l big chilli 90l TI TI comes with freefreezer mats depeng on size from memory both have different features
    but i prefer big chilli

The missus bought me the 70L Big Chilli Bin for my birhtday.
    Big Chilli have new ones for sale on Ebay - only $80 from memory.

The latches are cleary shite, but it suits as a knock around esky in the boat.
    Keeps ice for days, even in the sun.

Eva Kool would be far safer & cleaner for food storage IMHO.

I have a big chilli 105 litre, I use it when i go to the reef for day trips with party ice and a frozen coke bottle or two,(im a slurry fan for reef fish) or for block ice when the 'lations come to visit. With the block ice and kept well drained (out of the sun), it will keep for over a week. I got it delivered for 200 bucks from ebay.
    Blista

I too have a 105L Big Chilli and keeps party ice and beers icy for 4 day no probs.
    $165 from Ebay - I picked up as am fairly local to them.

Quote Originally Posted by 2manylures View Post
    As an ice holding proposition the two I have are useless & a waste of money.

Yes I meant only for holding non perishable tucker, clothes or cookware when camping.

They'll keep the wet out better than they keep the cold in.

I"ve had these for almost 12 months and just recently used them. The 80L 1st and thought I may have scored a dud. The 100L is as useless. All the seals are fine, I just don't think there's any insulation in them. One dud I could understand but two is a bit hard to wear.

I have some Yank Coleman eskies in smaller sizes as well as a 130L & you can't go past them for ruggedness, durability & moreso there ice holding capabilities.

I make my own 10kg blocks of ice which last a week to 10 days in the Coleman during hot weather {35-48 degrees here} & a max of 48hrs in techni ice under 30 degrees.

ANYTHING BUT TECHNI ICE in my humble opinion from experience.

Hope that helps, let us know what you decide.
    I'd like to give an update on Techni Ice, there service & the outstanding customer support I received.

Around 8 months ago I rang techni-ice and mentioned how disappointed I was with my two eskies.

To cut the story short they replaced them free of charge {good to their warranty} no questions asked. They also paid for shipping both ways for oldies going back & newies coming forward.

The new eskies I received are without a doubt in a league of their own in comparison to the old pair.

My oldies were duds and in hindsight I should have contacted Techni Ice prior to bagging there products.

One of the best companies I've dealt with in a long time

good to hear about your positive Techni-Ice experience. I have a 60L one for my tinny and it is simply awesome. The techni-ice sheets are the way to go. I use about 6 or 7 for a day trip and almost always when I get home, 90% of the cells are still rock hard frozen (after keeping my drinks and lunch cool, and bait frozen etc). In fact, if I catch a fish worth keeping it goes onto the Techni Ice sheets and by the time I am home, even the fish is pretty much frozen

As for getting blood (or anything else) on the techni-ice sheets and absorbing it... simple fix. Buy a pack of Glad zip-lock bags... the Large size perfectly fits a techni-ice sheet... this way noting penetrates into the techni-ice sheets and I just lay the sheets out (in their Glad zip-lock bags) after a days fishing, spray em down quickly with a hose and then they go back into the freezer! And only about $2.50 for 10 large zip-lock bags. Works a treat.

G'day

What was the exact problem?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by 2manylures View Post
    I'd like to give an update on Techni Ice, there service & the outstanding customer support I received.

Around 8 months ago I rang techni-ice and mentioned how disappointed I was with my two eskies.

To cut the story short they replaced them free of charge {good to their warranty} no questions asked. They also paid for shipping both ways for oldies going back & newies coming forward.

The new eskies I received are without a doubt in a league of their own in comparison to the old pair.

My oldies were duds and in hindsight I should have contacted Techni Ice prior to bagging there products.

One of the best companies I've dealt with in a long time

I have a Techni-ice 150 and a 40. They do a superb job.

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
    G'day

What was the exact problem?

Dave
    Dave,

I didn't follow up with them to see what the exact problem was but when I was discussing the old pair we suspected lack of insulation as they were sealing fine yet wouldn't hold ice {block} for more than 2 days.

I have two Techni Ice as well. They are great!. The only thing I that would insist on, is handles next time, not just the lip to grip.

Ad

I have big chilli 110 litre and works a charm holding ice and temperature.

Mike