Thread: (Off topic) Are your number plates secure ?

(Off topic) Are your number plates secure ?

Just talking to a cop today who commented on the massive increase of number of number plates being stolen. They are used on cars driving out of petrol stations without paying for fuel. It is not unusual for cars to be found with 6 or more stolen number plates in the boot, false plates are fitted ( usually with velcro or blutack ) the car is fueled up and driven off without paying and the real number plate is then quickly replaced.

One way screws or filling the screw heads with glue putty or silicon rubber is usually enough to deter thieves as they move to easier targets.

This just stops you from having to explain to police why your number plates are on security video driving out without paying from a petrol station.

Re: (Off topic) Are your number plates secure ?

Dug i had my number plate stolen of the boat trailer years ago from Kawana ramp.....and you know what i still ain't replaced it. I pay the rego yearly i just couldn't be botherd standing down the transport department for a couple of years...
    Never been pulled up by police yet for the plate
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I was at the local Bunnings a couple of months back and the Beenleigh cops had their volunteers fitting free security screws for car number plates. Same as the one-way screws that you get with window locks etc.

You only had to fill out a form, and they fitted them for you.

It's great when you can genuinely get something for nothing.

Kudos to the cops for being proactive.

i'm the same spiro, mine busted off the trailer and now sits in a bucket in the back of the nissan and no-ones ever hassled me about it. i am waiting for the day though, it'll happen sooner or later.

Always check mine after losing one driving through the 2nd cutting just out of noosa, if you have found it let me know,

Cheers Aj

Just read a story in the local paper about the very same thing... It sure is on the increase

My boat trailer number plate tears off when I go up the drive, so I now secure it with two cable ties...... no problems now...