Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: redclaw north pine dam

Re: redclaw north pine dam

If you wanna catch red claws go to Sommerset Dam.

An Idiot you reckon Pretzil? jezz I reckon thats going a bit far... Bet your one of these blokes that likes eating catfish too

I think redclaws offer themselves best for chinese cooking either in a stirfry or one of the flavoured dishes they do so well. They are quite a bland flavour on thier own, the standard old blue yabby (Cherox Destructor) leave them for dead flavour wise. As a kid i used to catch lots of the blue yabbies in the Pine Rivers district, yet these days they seem to be very scarce to find now. Redclaw obviously dominate the blue yabbies along the North Pine River.

Jack.

lol, catfish? I wont even eat bass, but I love eating redclaw

i find the redclaw not bad chewing.. not as good as the victorian yabbie, but if you leave the redclaw in a clean esky of water to flush them out for a few hours. then boil them, or grill halfs, there not bad at all!

Pretzil, an idiot I may be, but as you say in your post about pasting garlic all over them, is that to mask the muddy bland taste?

i like catfish

LOL sorry LGM

I guess it just shows us that everyone has different tastes and that its ok for someone to like something someone else doesn't. I was just taken aback a little with one of the replies talking about someone being an idiot or not knowing how to cook because thy didn't like redclaw.

Cheers
    Brandon...

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonH View Post
    LOL sorry LGM

I guess it just shows us that everyone has different tastes and that its ok for someone to like something someone else doesn't. I was just taken aback a little with one of the replies talking about someone being an idiot or not knowing how to cook because thy didn't like redclaw.

Cheers
    Brandon...
    Your right mate...it sure isn't everyones cup of tea. I grew up catching blue yabbies and have always thought they tasted great. What we didn't use bobbing for yellowbelly ended up curried with rice.
    I gave some to my wife a few years back during a trip out home and she said they were horrible.
    .....weird city girl.
    She did have some of Mums battered catfish though, without knowing what it was and she wolfed it down. When she saw a catfish she gagged....as I said...weird city girl.

Whoa, ok, I apologise for insulting those without the palet to apreciate redclaw. I should not have called anyone an idiot. Is there another more applicable and nicer word for people who like to eat rocks instead of redclaw?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Jnr View Post
    Pretzil, an idiot I may be, but as you say in your post about pasting garlic all over them, is that to mask the muddy bland taste?
    the muddy taste is easily taken out via a esky of town water and a few hours...

Anyone ever used redclaw as reef baits for offshore?

Jack.

i think its illegal to re - release redclaw in any impoundment - can't even use part of them for bait

Apparently its even technically illegal to release any redclaw you catch in somerset because they are not native to the area or something