Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: redclaw north pine dam

Re: redclaw north pine dam

Quote Originally Posted by iceknight View Post
    i get more then 20 the first pull most of the time, there usally pretty thick where i go, i dont like sitting there in the mozzies for long periods, and i cant stant mozzie repelent, hence why the amount of pots.

If you think thats bad... you should see me crabbin j/ks haha
    what bait do you use? turtles or sickle fin weasle sharks? Funny I cant find sickle fin weasle sharks when I google it.

well you better look harder. from memory if you go the csiro website and look it up there the paper come up..

or try google agian.. there there ill actually even find the link to them and post it

sickle fin picture. notice the pectorals thats where it gets the name SICKLEFIN!

Thought i had better thank you for the light entertainment you provided us in your stay.

Jack.

Did you do any good on the crays?

Went today with the young fella, didn't get one! First time back there in years, last time we went we filled up, whats wrong?

Would take too long to explain all the lead up info and life cycle run downs on the dam and this species. Suggest you read earlier post.

Mind you there is a theory that we will never ever again see the boom periods experienced earlier this decade. Time will tell I guess.

When were redclaws first caught in the North pine dam??

Any idea on how they got there originally?

Jack.

Im not sure where theyv gone. I went even befor this rainy period and got nothing. i thought that they might have moved up with the damn leve grazing on the grass.... I was wrong...

I havent seen any there in awhile.. maby they burried down when the dam started to get low? and havent come back out yet?
    Iv found of a day time to only get a few. usally the bigger ones, but after nightfall is when they come out in there droves...

Hey guys,

excuse my ignorance being from the southern states, but is a Red Claw similar to a Yabby or a Marron?
    If so, how do their eating qualities compare?

Cheers

Dave

Hey Dave, I think they are very very closely related to the Marron down that way. A lot of people love eating them, I however will only eat one if its marinated

some info

http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/13890.html

and a Pic

Cheers
    Brandon...

Thanks for the info Brandon.

We just catch them for fun, or we used to!, being a reef fisherman and spoilt for good quality seafood if we do eat them we use my old mans recipe- Boil the redclaw in a large pot with a smooth river stone, boil until the rock goes soft, throw away the redclaw and eat the rock!

Honestly they are very bland compared to a sea water shell fish

Darren

tell me guys, where bouts in the north pine are you getting em, dont want your x spot but just general would be good. thanks

Anyone who says redclaw dont taste any good is an idiot, or a shit cook, 1st of all if u boil them, like any other crustaceon, boil in salt water. Second of all if u cut the big ones in half and spread a garlic butter paste over the meat and grill them it is delicious.