Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Electric Anchor winch

Electric Anchor winch

Hi,

Im relatively new to the boating scene, bought meself a Stabicraft 589 about a month ago and am enjoying it so much. I find that I go out a lot by myself, I dont really mind that, but I really hate winding in the anchor and setting it out.

Last week, I went near the rip on an outgoing tide, anchored away and despite going sideways, forwards etc I couldnt pull the anchor up. The rtide was quite strong, and I guess the anchor ploughed its way deeply into the sand.

Being alone, it was impoosible to pull the anchor up, so I had to cut the rope, loosing 5 metres of chain and a cheap anchor. I have an expensive Sarca now, and I dont want to loose that.

So, I priced around and came up with a number of winches, but cant belive the price! I mean, I drive 4wd's and I paid $1500 for a beefy 10000lb winch, but the boat ones are bloody expensive.

So heres the dillema,

CHEAP vs EXPENSIVE

Everyone I have spoken to says get a Stress free winch, but the price comes in at near $3000 :eek

If I go a cheapie, say $800 I can get 3-4 for the price of one, and I belive a 2year warranty.

Help, what should I do?
    Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Re: Electric Anchor winch

Mate, I have an electric winch on my 685, and I reckon I have not used it for quite a few months. Indeed, frankly, it annoys the crap out of me because it is slow, when in deep water. I think there must be many better things to spend that money on!

I now use a reef pick most of the time on floats - no time now to fill in the details on how that works, but there are ways to use your anchor without risking having to cut it off. I'm sure you'll get plenty of good advice, or I'll dish some out tomorrow!

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

ignore and read the next one

How do you delete these extra posts?
    What could go wrong.......................

Forget the winch and buy a big foam float with a meter of 12mm silver rope and a split stainless steel ring that you can slip over your anchor line and just drive past it at about 30 degrees and keep going at a slow cruise until the anchor is lifted and floating under the big foam float.

Then just hand over hand it into a bin in the back of the boat til you lay it out next time.

Obviously the cheap anchor works so why even think about an expensive alternative to do the same job?

You dont need crew or a winch with this set up!

Do a search on AF for pics of anchor retrievers etc

Cheers
    Chimo

G'day mate I have to agree with the others, I have a Maxwell anchor winch looks great but useless having nothing but problems. Bought a float luckly, because winch failed when in 35mtrs water. Had to use float retriever for first time . Easy!! Will only use float from now on. Save your money buy a float..

Wow a quick response.
    I have heard about these floats, sounds like the plan.
    When I was out the other day I was too scared I'd run over the anchor line, the float sounds like the go. Also, I like the idea about loading it into the back. My boat has a front hatch, but it still gives me the shi---ts to crawl under and up.

I was almost convinced I would need an electric winch, now not so.

Thanks for the posts, will save a fair bit I think.

kzrocky

If you can try and find someone in your area to go out with you to show you how to do it! once learnt it's a great skill to have!

Ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

i have crook hands so my daughter bought me a maxwell anchor winch for xmas . but i found it was useless [u still have to do half the work]except in shallow water . with the float system it is so easy . u can bring your anchor in on your bow or deck . the new s/s drum winch with free fall option about $3000 no hands operation thats the go for all conditions . when your anchor gets stuck like that maybe nothing will lift it the risk of damage to your hands boat prop etc hardly makes a big effort tug of war worth while
    Last edited by wayneoro; 18-11-2008 at 07:58 AM. Reason: ad info

Quote Originally Posted by wayneoro View Post
    i have crook hands so my daughter bought me a maxwell anchor winch for xmas . ....
    Wow nice Xmas present!

So, once again, (and I hope your daughter isnt reading this), sounds like the ball is the go. I got no idea how it works, but Ive just been looking at this site http://www.bigbendsportsman.com/tips/anchoringtips.htm

And it seems to try to explain it. (ok I think hes a yank).

Will hassle the boat yard for a full explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by finding_time View Post
    kzrocky

If you can try and find someone in your area to go out with you to show you how to do it! once learnt it's a great skill to have!

Ian
    Ok, Ian where are you? Im in Melb.

Oh, looked at your pic posts omg, you have a 4wd as well!!!

winches are for 4WD's not boats imo, use a float ball ot two, they are easy, fast, reliable and cost effective,
    cheers - Craig

kzrocky,
    If you are really silly you could do what I did. Build your own, do a search for 'recipe for an anchor winch'.
    No I wo'nt build you one, Ive been using mine for about a year, works well but you still have to guide the rope to load it evenly on the drum. I am working on a level wind - one day I might build that on as well.

Frank

Heres some light reading for you kzrocky from some non-yanks

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...etriever+rings

Chimo

PS That Capt Kens not bad either

Quote Originally Posted by kzrocky View Post
    Ok, Ian where are you? Im in Melb.

Oh, looked at your pic posts omg, you have a 4wd as well!!!
    Sorry Brisbane mate but after you have read chimo's link i'm sure you'll get great responses to any queries!
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Actually, I'm pretty suprised with these responses.

I have a Maxwell 500 on my 6mtr plate ali and regularly anchor in depths of between 5 to 35 metres. I find that it works really well (with a sarca) and love just sitting at the wheel whilst the winch does it's thing!

Only problem I have had was with the anchor well not being quite deep enough, but this only causes a small problem when in about 20 metres or more.

Cheers
    Brendan