Thread: Butterfish

Butterfish

I have been fishing near the broadwater at Southport and have been catching a fish which I think is a Butterfish. It is silver with a slightly triangular shaped body with yellowish coloured fins and tail. They are not big fish but put up a good fight for their size. Can someone enlighten me on their correct name as I cannot seem to find them anywhere in identification books or internet. The closest I have come to is a thing called a Batfish?? They are very tasty but I really would like to know what I am eating. Help please??

Re: Butterfish

i call those butterbream

Sounds like a butter bream to me. They are in grants guide and the guide to moreton bay. they are very common and are a pest in my opinion. Yes they are fine to eat If they are butter bream. Ill try to attach a pic.

Owen

I think this is the species you are talking about. Commonly called Butter Bream or Diamond Fish;

Monodactylus argenteus
    Silver moony

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/spec...name=argenteus

Cheers

Dave

One more question?? Is there any legal size for these Butterbream

they are also known as sicklefish.

ron.
    reels screamin aboard Hyper- Active

I have been catching so many of late they must be in plague proportion

Quote Originally Posted by Wazztazz View Post
    One more question?? Is there any legal size for these Butterbream
    no size or bag limit.

Cheers

Dave

Many thanks Dave for the photo. I have been losing sleep wondering what they were.

Bait thieves of the worst kind. Often abundant around reefs and other structure, readily attracted by berley streams and can make it hard to get a bait to the bottom. Supposed to be a good live bait for big cod, but I haven't tried this. No legal size or bag limit. Make good aquarium specimens - can be switched to fresh water (for aquariums) by slowly replacing a cup of salt water a day with fresh water until water is all fresh. Never tried to eat one despite what Grant says about them.
    Cheers Freeeedom

Yeah I heard they were good bait aswell, apperently Jew fish like them , heard someone cut a jews stomach and found it full of the butterbream