Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Launching fiberglass boat from ramps with no dock

Launching fiberglass boat from ramps with no dock

Hi fisho's,

How do you fellas with larger fiberglass boats (6m+) launch from smaller ramps that don't have a dock or pontoon. I'm sure most would drive on and drive off trailer but if this is not an option what is the next trick. Normally with an aluminum boat I would just push it off and pull it up to the bank and tie it off, not sure that would bode well for the fiberglass finishes .

Re: Launching fiberglass boat from ramps with no dock

You can use a keel guard i bought a jetski with akeel guard on it once its just like a neoprene foam strip that runs up the keel

If launching solo, then it can be tricky, depending on the crowd, my mate had a pretty good system, he had an extra long rope on the bow, he tied the end to a rock/post, pushed the boat way out, went and parked the car and then just pulled the boat back in, seemed to work OK, but probably not suited to all ramps.

I never hesitate pulling a glass boat up on sand, gravel or vegetation but I would never pull up on a concrete ramp or rocks when solo.

A little tip if you get your speed just right forming the maximum stern wave and slip into neutral at the right time your stern wave will lift the boat as it goes under it & drop straight onto the shore with no horizontal scraping.

It sounds tricky but it's really very easy & I suspect, like me, a lot of people do it without even realising it.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    If launching solo, then it can be tricky, depending on the crowd, my mate had a pretty good system, he had an extra long rope on the bow, he tied the end to a rock/post, pushed the boat way out, went and parked the car and then just pulled the boat back in, seemed to work OK, but probably not suited to all ramps.
    This seems like an ok way to go but it's the pulling the fiberglass boat back on the sand that may cause problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    I never hesitate pulling a glass boat up on sand, gravel or vegetation but I would never pull up on a concrete ramp or rocks when solo.

A little tip if you get your speed just right forming the maximum stern wave and slip into neutral at the right time your stern wave will lift the boat as it goes under it & drop straight onto the shore with no horizontal scraping.

It sounds tricky but it's really very easy & I suspect, like me, a lot of people do it without even realising it.
    So after beaching it on the sand and rocks it does not effect or scratch the fiberglass?

People seem to think the second fibreglass touches sand or rocks, you get a hole in it, Aluminium is no stronger than fibreglass, you choose, a dent (Alloy) or a scratch (glass) the only advantage of alloy is, lots are unpainted on the bottom, so you don't see scratches, but I can assure you, if it's painted, it will scratch, if it's a decent rock, it will scratch and dent. Continued pulling up on concrete will eventually damage both materials, but in different ways, both can be repaired.

People seem to think the second fibreglass touches sand or rocks, you get a hole in it, Aluminium is no stronger than fibreglass, you choose, a dent (Alloy) or a scratch (glass) the only advantage of alloy is, lots are unpainted on the bottom, so you don't see scratches, but I can assure you, if it's painted, it will scratch, if it's a decent rock, it will scratch and dent. Continued pulling up on concrete will eventually damage both materials, but in different ways, both can be repaired.
    Jeez not sure anyone thinks the minute fiberglass touches sand it gets a hole in it.
    Just wanted to see if people do it with there fiberglass boats and what or if they get any damage.

I'm watching this thread as well I've got the same dilemma, the nearest boat ramp is oxenford but either side of ramps is stony and some small rocks, I've been thinking of switching to aluminium

The difference is a alloy boat can witstand being beached because its hull doesnt need protection so much

A fibreglass boat needs protection ghat protection is gelcoat a fraction of a millimeter thick and sand is abrassive once that very thin layer rubs off you get osmosis and rotted fibreglass

Just grab a old wet suit off gumtree and cut astrip and sikaflex it on your keel it only has to be small 50mm wide 400mm long glue it right on the entry point

Aluminium is no stronger than fibreglass
    Gelcoat is the weak link however.

Why so many ramps with no docks is beyond me. Even launching a large aluminum boat without a dock is no easy task, you nose it up to the beach near the ramp and then what, it's a decent jump of the bow and that's just the start. A simple old pontoon/dock is so much safer and easier for all.

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherfriend View Post
    Why so many ramps with no docks is beyond me. Even launching a large aluminum boat without a dock is no easy task, you nose it up to the beach near the ramp and then what, it's a decent jump of the bow and that's just the start. A simple old pontoon/dock is so much safer and easier for all.
    Out of curiosity, do you have bow rails? Only asking as I find them on trailer boats to be only a cosmetic feature. Which in my opinion makes it harder to board or disembark a beached vessel.

If you look at the American boat manufacturers, especially centre console’s, they don’t have them. I’m currently weighing up to remove mine because of knee replacement diagnosis. I personally don’t have a problem beaching my fibreglass boat on sand. Cosmetic imperfections has never concerned me as structural integrity is more of an issue in my humble opinion.

Edit. If you look at Cruise Crafts new 360 centre console and Haines Signature’s flag ship big bugger centre console, they seem to be heading in the same way as the Yanks.
    Matilda

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you have bow rails? Only asking as I find them on trailer boats to be only a cosmetic feature. Which in my opinion makes it harder to board or disembark a beached vessel.
    If you look at the American boat manufacturers, especially centre console’s, they don’t have them. I’m currently weighing up to remove mine because of knee replacement diagnosis. I personally don’t have a problem beaching my fibreglass boat on sand. Cosmetic imperfections has never concerned me as structural integrity is more of an issue in my humble opinion.
    No I only have a aluminum runaboat at the moment but looking to upgrade to a bigger boat once I'm ready.
    A few post up mentioning scratches from sand removing gelcoat and causing osmosis. Have been planning on a fiberglass boat but with lack of decent boat ramps around I may have to suffer with a platey, they do have there advantages but I prefer glass.
    I think if you have a good ramp with a dock then bow rails can come in handy for holding or tying the boat but not necessary certainly increases the jump height too shore though. Probably more handy on cuddy cabins then center consoles.

How often would you beach yours and do you think it could take off the gelcoat?
    Last edited by Fisherfriend; 27-12-2020 at 05:54 PM. Reason: mistake