Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is that and what do I do with it?

What is that and what do I do with it?

Okay, so thanks to those of you who have been graciously replying to my threads, and offering advice, etc.

Unfortunately for YOU, however, I've got these things that came in my 300 piece tackle box kit that I have 1. no idea what they are and 2. what to do with them.

You'd think it would have come with some sort of instructions, but no. Not even ones in Chinese!

Picture # 1
    http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...z/IMG_0818.jpg

Picture # 2
    http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...z/IMG_0820.jpg

Picture # 3
    http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...z/IMG_0821.jpg

Any explanations from you angling fishybobs kindly appreciated.
    Pobbs > 28. Strictly recreational fisher.
    Mr Chicken > 3 in Janaury! Likes to reel the line in, fish on the end or not.

Re: What is that and what do I do with it?

thread the items in pic 3 onto pic 1, so they look natural,
    they are soft plastics and jigheads. tie directly to your line, cast them out, and wind back in, with some pauses, and try liffting rod tip, so u kind of jig, them back in, deadly on flathead.

pic 2 are plastic beads used for attracting whiting, place them on the line above the hook.

cheers

lippa

Like lippa says in his post, items in pic 3 go with items in pic 1. Jigheads and soft plastics are a great way to catch fish but require a bit of patience to work through the learning curve.

A jighead is basically a hook and a sinker combined into one thing. The soft plastic is an imitation of a creature that is threaded onto the jighead, and when you wind it back in after casting it out, it "comes to life" as the water passing over it makes it wiggle and appear real.

I've taken the pic of the soft plastics and edited it a bit to show what the combination of the soft plastic and the jighead should look like when put together. In your pic it looks like the eye of the hook is sealed up with paint, you'll need to clean that out before tying it on. You can use your normal knot to tie it on.

The different shaped tails are the bits that wiggle and make it appear lifelike. Its important to make sure that the plastic goes on the hook in a straight line without any kinks or twists because then they dont swim properly and wont look natural and lifelike.

To use them cast them out like you would when using bait. Cast them into the same places you would when using bait.

Let them sink to the bottom. Begin to wind in your line slowly, one rotation of the reel handle about every two seconds.

Every three or four rotations of the reel handle, twitch your rod upwards. This will make the jighead and plastic jump up off the bottom. Let it sink back to the bottom and dont move it for a few seconds, then begin winding again.

Keep doing this until either you have wound it all the way back in or until a fish eats it
    simon

The ocean is the ultimate solution - Frank Zappa

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/qq9/slyman71/

Quote Originally Posted by slyman View Post
    Like lippa says in his post, items in pic 3 go with items in pic 1. Jigheads and soft plastics are a great way to catch fish but require a bit of patience to work through the learning curve.

A jighead is basically a hook and a sinker combined into one thing. The soft plastic is an imitation of a creature that is threaded onto the jighead, and when you wind it back in after casting it out, it "comes to life" as the water passing over it makes it wiggle and appear real.

I've taken the pic of the soft plastics and edited it a bit to show what the combination of the soft plastic and the jighead should look like when put together. In your pic it looks like the eye of the hook is sealed up with paint, you'll need to clean that out before tying it on. You can use your normal knot to tie it on.

The different shaped tails are the bits that wiggle and make it appear lifelike. Its important to make sure that the plastic goes on the hook in a straight line without any kinks or twists because then they dont swim properly and wont look natural and lifelike.

To use them cast them out like you would when using bait. Cast them into the same places you would when using bait.

Let them sink to the bottom. Begin to wind in your line slowly, one rotation of the reel handle about every two seconds.

Every three or four rotations of the reel handle, twitch your rod upwards. This will make the jighead and plastic jump up off the bottom. Let it sink back to the bottom and dont move it for a few seconds, then begin winding again.

Keep doing this until either you have wound it all the way back in or until a fish eats it
    Cheers bud! That was so helpful and thank you so much for the picture. I cannot wait to try them out now!!

Your welcome.

But remember, there is a bit of a learning curve when first using them, they take a while to work out.

Don't get disheartened if you dont catch fish straight away, persistence pays off, have confidence when using them, dont be afraid to try different things like winding slower or faster, letting it sit on the bottom longer or not twitching the rod. Different things work on different days, and some days the fish will only react to certain things.

Good luck!
    simon

The ocean is the ultimate solution - Frank Zappa

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/qq9/slyman71/

Quote Originally Posted by slyman View Post
    Your welcome.

But remember, there is a bit of a learning curve when first using them, they take a while to work out.

Don't get disheartened if you dont catch fish straight away, persistence pays off, have confidence when using them, dont be afraid to try different things like winding slower or faster, letting it sit on the bottom longer or not twitching the rod. Different things work on different days, and some days the fish will only react to certain things.

Good luck!
    No really, thanks for your advice. I cannot wait to try them out, it's much more exciting thinking about using them! I'll certainly take your advice. Hopefully I can show off something in the future.

Matey you need to get hold of some good fishing books......a good start is the local council libruray.

anything by steve starling, matin bowerman, vic McCristal.........the older the better ( less brand pushing).

cheers

Thanks buddy. I might hit the ol' Angus & Robertson up for a captain cook at what's about. *thumbs up*

You wont find too much at the normal book stores....the various fishing outlets will have a better supply and range........ @mart have a 30% off their books and videos at the moment.

I've picked up all sorts of books on ebay..... just be carefull .... know what you are buying and the going street price...... second hand book stores are a go too.

cheers

Maybe some of the members here could send you some books/magazine articles relevant to your needs? or photocopies thereof...

I would be more concerned with just getting your young Mr Chicken in contact with fish of anysort...and that means bait....small bits..small hooks..plenty of bread for burley. Dont worry about soft plastics and jig heads and the like. They are for another time.....maybe another couple of years, unless of course you are interested in persuing this yourself.

Work on the KISS principle with the youngens.....Keep it short and simple.

and the butterfly/bait net is a great way of keeping them amused in the shallow waters of the creeks and rivers.

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by sleepygreg View Post
    Maybe some of the members here could send you some books/magazine articles relevant to your needs? or photocopies thereof...

I would be more concerned with just getting your young Mr Chicken in contact with fish of anysort...and that means bait....small bits..small hooks..plenty of bread for burley. Dont worry about soft plastics and jig heads and the like. They are for another time.....maybe another couple of years, unless of course you are interested in persuing this yourself.

Work on the KISS principle with the youngens.....Keep it short and simple.

and the butterfly/bait net is a great way of keeping them amused in the shallow waters of the creeks and rivers.

Cheers
    Greg
    Thanks Sleepy Greg - but you're blowing my cover! Yes, I want to get Mr Chicken into fishing. Why? Coz I want to do more fishing! *sheepish grin*

I haven't been letting him put any bait on himself. But you know, he will still love the soft plastics.

I'll try to hit the second hand bookshops this weekend. I saw on Nugget's website there was some sort of starting out in fishing book and dvd set (yes yes, well I AM Gen Y [I think], after all).

I have to ask.......what is your other half (if there is one) doing to help/encourage you? What other support network do you have (other than us great folk on Ausfish)?

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by sleepygreg View Post
    I have to ask.......what is your other half (if there is one) doing to help/encourage you? What other support network do you have (other than us great folk on Ausfish)?

Greg
    Ugh, the dreaded question.

My ex, Mr Chicken's dad, is my best friend and we have an awesome relationship but because I work full-time, I want my time with my son to be 'Mummy time'. I'm selfish! Plus, he knows nothing about fishing. He knows everything about motorbikes.

My father doesn't fish. And I have no brothers or sisters.

My mates don't like fishing - they're girls. I'm trying to get some of my friends to come out with me with their kids but it's not looking promising.

A dilemma girlie... We'll get ya through it.

You jsut keep going and asking questions and I can look at the answers secretly and go "Oh so that's how... " and nobody knows. Hee hee...

Thanks for an honest answer to the question Im sure many have been wanting to ask. If you were living in Sydney I could put you in touch with a fishing club that would be absolutely perfect for you - however I have not come across a club like that up here. I think its time for some of us 'old farts' to take you under our cyber wing and guide you through the fantastic world of teaching a kid to fish (and a big kid to fish also ). My sister is still trying to teach her hubby to fish, as well as her ten year old daughter).

Keep asking the questions and we will try to provide some answers. And good on you for teaching mr chicken one of the healthiest and most rewarding sports there is.

Cheers
    Greg