Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: whats the obsession......

Re: whats the obsession......

Welcome to Ausjack (ausfish) fishing forums guys,
    anysized jack will do ahaha

Quote Originally Posted by ffejsmada View Post
    Each to their own mate.

No one's stopping you from trying to catch m+ threadies.

If people want to stuff around as you put it catching 40cm Jacks, good luck to them.

Why does it bother you so much....................can't you catch a 40cm Jack??

This time last year you were complaining that you couldn't catch a Jack!

When you did think you had one it was a Moses Perch!!

Have you even caught a Jack yet Yellaman???

Keep up the good work champ!!

Cheers

Funny stuff

How has he been "slammed with all the bullsh!t" if he's never posted about them????
    You've got me there, show me a thread of one of his Jack captures!

I've seen your seaway caught jacks but I can't recall one of Yella's jacks.

You reckon MJ's dominate the forums??

Do you ever look at the freshwater section and check out the dribble the barra boys go on with??? IBD
    You WOULD think that barra are the only freshwater fish around!!

This whole site is getting very, very lame.

A good laugh this thread!!

Yellahunter- why does it matter?

For the record i chase billfish every calm weekend of the year, last summer i started chasing jacks on the windy weekends and i must say now i get just as much (if not more) of a kick out of catching them as i do out of catching a marlin or sailfish. I could easily jump on here and say why would you bother with chasing GT's when you could chase sailfish cause they swim a million times faster.

It's all a case of "Each to their own".
    Last edited by jeffo; 09-11-2008 at 08:00 PM.

barramundi and Billfish are world class sportfish
    you cant tell me a 50cm jack is in the same league as a 1.3m saltwater barra,
    or a 1000lb billfish..

as ive said all along they are a great fish and I do love catching em,
    i just wondered why they had such a big following when there are better fish around...

ie: you dont see posts like....
    GC Trevs, Sunshine coast trevs, KFC trevs, How many casts at a snag for trevs, where to catch trevs, how hard do trevs pull....etc etc etc

you dont see 25cm barra or trevs gettin posted on here with guys saying....ooooh i bet that went hard...

Have you even caught any trevally lately, i havent seen any posts/pics of your trevally on this site, or dont you post then either because "you dont wont people to pm you about catching them".

just do what I would do if you arent interested in a particular species, dont open the thread, move on to the next one that takes your interest. A similar thing could be said about australian bass in the posts of forums 'south of the border', or trout in the southern states. I have fished for all the mentioned species, and they all have their good points and are great fun to catch, and for my two bobs worth....pound for pound I reckon a Black drummer would pull any of them backwards up a hill. But I am still yet to catch my first jack, so i will pass on judging them....its all about how you approach your target species, and what you want to get out of your fishing. I have seen fistfights over the keep v release of aussie bass....if you think jack fisherman are elitist....you should get a look at that mob.

BTW....I dont agree that over half the posts on here are about jacks, there are a lot, but not the ratio you mention. i would think there would be more snapper posts than jack posts.

And let me make it clear........I dont want ANYONE to stop posting. I love reading the posts....even if it is not my favoured target species......just that sometimes a lack of time means I cant read everything so I read what takes my eye.

enough of my rambling

Seems to me this thread has gone from "WHY do we post about jacks" to "I DONT LIKE all the jack posts"?

The number of jack posts represents the number of fishos that are keen on em.

Now youve changed the subject to, 'good posters are not gonna post cos of the flak'? Thats always been an issue here. We have lost some good posters who got sick of the negative comments, but that happens on any chatboard- its not just fishing. If youre gonna post on a forum, you have to have a thick skin. Martys already give you a good answer on why we like jacks, why didnt that help you understand?

No offence meant yella, its a big forum, and theres room for all opinions here.

Andrew

no offense taken boys,
    seems as though the jacks are very sentimental to a lot of ausfishers,

YH, IMHO a saltwater fresh Jack fillet is the best estuary caught bit of fish going around if not everywhere. This time of year the jack posts dominate because its jack season, makes sense doesn't it?

The quote comparing a 1.3m Barra to a 50cm Jack or a 1000lb billy is just silly. Considering how dirty they fight along with good pulling power they are rightfully a prize fish for thier size. A 50cm Jack will give a 50cm Barra more than a run for it's money. Many lost lures and pulled hooks on the ol MJ.

Will you be asking the same question next winter about Snapper? Snapper seem to dominate around that time of year.

Cheers

Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

I think everyone has to remember that not everyone is an expert on Jack fishing. I know I asked a lot of questions when I first moved to Queensland about 10 years ago about jack fishing and think people as they either move to an area or take up the great sport of fishing have a heap of questions about their target species.
    This is what makes a discussion after all........... and like what has already been said, if a thread don't interest you, don't open it.
    A 40cm jack to a newby is a trophy fish, I'm sure all the Jack "experts" out there were ecstatic when you got your first 40cm jack.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Hey Yella,

I guess the obsession with some people about Jacks would be equal to the obsession you had to get one of those illegal Largemouth Bass you bragged about out of a private dam in the GC Hinterland.

Remember that obsession mate ???

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepygreg View Post
    just do what I would do if you arent interested in a particular species, dont open the thread, move on to the next one that takes your interest. A similar thing could be said about australian bass in the posts of forums 'south of the border', or trout in the southern states. I have fished for all the mentioned species, and they all have their good points and are great fun to catch, and for my two bobs worth....pound for pound I reckon a Black drummer would pull any of them backwards up a hill. But I am still yet to catch my first jack, so i will pass on judging them....its all about how you approach your target species, and what you want to get out of your fishing. I have seen fistfights over the keep v release of aussie bass....if you think jack fisherman are elitist....you should get a look at that mob.

BTW....I dont agree that over half the posts on here are about jacks, there are a lot, but not the ratio you mention. i would think there would be more snapper posts than jack posts

And let me make it clear........I dont want ANYONE to stop posting. I love reading the posts....even if it is not my favoured target species......just that sometimes a lack of time means I cant read everything so I read what takes my eye.

enough of my rambling
    mmmm Now thats got me thinking sleepy......

Having caught both Jacks and Black Drummer I would very confidently say that drummer would easily out pull a Jack....A 4kg Drummer verses a 4kg GT......mmmm tough one.... ...Possibly the drummer by a nose...

These types of topics are pretty useless because to many factors come into the capture....eg...Where the jack was caught,how it was caught (lure or bait),What line class you are fishing...etc etc......These will obviously grade the capture on how satisfying it is.....

Pete

No Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I think everyone has to remember that not everyone is an expert on Jack fishing. I know I asked a lot of questions when I first moved to Queensland about 10 years ago about jack fishing and think people as they either move to an area or take up the great sport of fishing have a heap of questions about their target species.
    well im looking forward to the GC jack fishin in 10 years time
    when 1/2 of melb, sydney and the rest of aus lives on the GC
    the worst thing about QLD and in particular the GC is the fact that they are too pussy to put a cap on development and living capacities,
    i know i wont be here in 10 - bring on NZ