Thread: heavy leaders and knots to braid

heavy leaders and knots to braid

have been a fan of twisted leaders because they go through the guides nicely, if noisily, and add some stretch.

Have now decided to try some hard flourocarbon for plastic frogs etc, and get the idea of keeping the leader knot outside of the runners.

If I want a longer leader, that will be in the runners on the cast, is there a better knot than a bimini or plaited loop in braid, and then a slim beauty to join the loop to the hard leader?

Re: heavy leaders and knots to braid

Quote Originally Posted by laterel View Post
    have been a fan of twisted leaders because they go through the guides nicely, if noisily, and add some stretch.

Have now decided to try some hard flourocarbon for plastic frogs etc, and get the idea of keeping the leader knot outside of the runners.

If I want a longer leader, that will be in the runners on the cast, is there a better knot than a bimini or plaited loop in braid, and then a slim beauty to join the loop to the hard leader?
    Mate i run a Bimini through my braid down to a wind on leader. Limited knots to fail and the wind ons are a guaranteed sucess. Thanks to Big Ren, Hundreds of beers and time working them out. Tried the twistys but had swivel failure. Maybe i am from the old school, line, leader, lure. Keep it simple stupid!!!!
    Ben

Laterel, Uncle Benny is on the money. If you can learn to make your own wind ons, and it is not that hard, you'll not only save a heap of money, you'll have fun in the process.

As Ben said. there is absolutely no knot between braid and leader, so casting distance should not suffer. For barra applications, we use either 50 or 78lb braid (PE5 as it has a similar diametre to 50 braid) to 80lb wind on leader.

For our wind ons, we use 80lb Penn 10X and 50lb dacron. The Penn is not fluorocarbon, and it tends to grip the dacron better. No failures to date.

If you are not comfortable using wind ons, I would suggest losing your double and tying on a slim beauty.

Hope this helps

Paul
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

For the record Laterel, I have also had failure with an 80lb snap on a twisty. I swear I will never use a snap when barra fishing again. One bad jaw angle, and your snap will open up like a paper clip mate. Seriously It just ain't worth losing a trophy fish because of this.

Cheers
    Paul
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

When fishing surface stick with mono as fluro sinks.

Fluro having a higher density naturally will sink as mono is more boyant. Prob not so critical with frogs as you are moving them at a solid pace but if fishing poppers, tango and the like with pauses keep using mono.

Cheers

Aaron

Slim beauty.

proberly just a good idea to keep it simple and use mono, and not get into the fuss of fluro for barra, for a few reasons, but mainly cuase of its knot strength.
    slim beauty is a good connection.