Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Way To Construct A Poddy Mullet Trap

Best Way To Construct A Poddy Mullet Trap

Just Wanted To Know How You Built Your Perfect Poddy Mullet Trap
    Cheers Matt.

Re: Best Way To Construct A Poddy Mullet Trap

I used to get a 2.5L Bottle of Soft Drink, cut the nozzle off, then push it inwards to make the cone. Put a heavy weight in it fill it with a few slices of bread and wait. We used to be able to fill these so the last poddy has its tail sticking out.
    Tight Lines

another good method although a tad dangerous is get a broken flouro light and clean it out to clear glass. Push some bread into the open ond of the tube and push it right up. The mullet swim in after the bread and cant back out. place it in about 1 foot of water near the bank.

Careful you do not cut yourself.

Jack.

sounds like a good pastime for the kids (not the fluoro jobbie though ),

can they just be lobbed in from the bank ?

Cheers
    Tommo

Hey Jack, could you use poly pipe, or does it have to be see through
    David

you can buy some reasonably clear hose with a diameter of about an 2.5 inch's that you would think would work the same way...???

I just use a clear bowl with flyscreen over the top and a small hole in the middle,seems to do the job however i can only catch them at the start of the rising tide
    Cheers matt

Nah, the clearer the better. Seeing the bread is part of the attraction as well as following the crumb trail.
    As kids we used to use oyster bottles with a bit of line tied to the front. Think these are long gone however........
    The plastic bottle still works well, not sure whether they are legal in NSW, haven't used one myself for many years......................!
    Dynamite bait for flatties!
    Cheers.

As Tunaticer said,fluro tube.
    I have been using fluro tube for forty years, just soak a piece of string in
    petrol tie it tight around one end and lite it,when flames gone just tap where string is and it breaks clean,clean it out with sand and water,place bread and waterinside and shake,place stone in bottomput in foot of water and watch them pack in like sardines.
    Cheers Lew.
    If you can dream it, you can do it.

Hey matt
    heat up some metal old knife etc on a stove 2 2l coke bottle weldthem with the knife at the openings cut the bottom off one thats were u tie ur rope. cut a little trap door in the side of the other bottle so u can fill it with bread and retrieve ur mullet poke heaps of holes in it and ur ready!

Ive bn making ones like that since i ws 12 with an old soldering iron, i jst kept modifying it till it was awesome , one day an older gentle amn asked me heaps of questions about it and asked if he could have an old one. 12mths later there was one for sale VERY similiar the only difference was the plastic was glow in the dark!! NOT HAPPY!!!

There used to be clear poly tube roo bars that were much better and safer than fluro tubes. The glass and the chemicals ( Mercury amongst others ) is best kept inside the tube !

mate just buy a $50 castnet-cheep as and no mucking around
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spiro a cast net would be the best option but i don't the they're legal in NSW

The fluro tube sounds like a good idea ,just a bit dangerous maybe when i have the kids with me,Rat King i'm trying to visualize what your set up looks like are you saying that the mullet swim through the neck of the bottle that you would drink out of and into the other bottle?

Yeah it looks like an hour glass but if they r too big to fit through the bottle neck pull it up fast and they should still get caught!
    I think the box type bait nets r legal in nsw!
    But don't quote me on that!