Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Way To Construct A Poddy Mullet Trap

Re: Best Way To Construct A Poddy Mullet Trap

Quote Originally Posted by nigelr View Post
    Nah, the clearer the better. Seeing the bread is part of the attraction as well as following the crumb trail.
    As kids we used to use oyster bottles with a bit of line tied to the front. Think these are long gone however........
    The plastic bottle still works well, not sure whether they are legal in NSW, haven't used one myself for many years......................!
    Dynamite bait for flatties!
    Cheers.
    Yeah we used oyster bottles, and there were some weird bottles with the base turned in and both ends open... they were good..

and DYNAMITE is great bait for most fish....roflmao..... yeah i know you meant the mullet were dynamite(awesome)....lol

cheers Chris

Rat King,
    Got a picture?
    David

Here it is hope u can understand it!

My Dad made one for me out of ally R/A and some fly screen, basically a rectangular box with juic bottle necks sewn into the ends as entries.. works well
    The attached picture is one I saw on ebay recently
    If men are from Mars, and women are from Venus, politicians must be from uranus ?

any of the things mentioned will work, cost bugger all and are good fun for kids, one of the best store bought traps is those plastic tube ones with a funnel hole at each end, cheap as chips, work OK, and they sort of fold up (the ends come off, and the tube is split down the centre) but almost any bottle will work, as does a very small hook and bread for bait and a titsey float, that is even more fun!

something I found very simple to make and just as efective:

grab a clear cordial bottle with lid still on and cut a hole about the size of a 50 cent peice in the side, put some weights in it (a couple of snapper leads are great), put some bread in it and sink it in about 1-2ft of water. Mullet swim in, some find their way back out but its by far the easiest way to make a trap, with less stuffing around.

Its easy to get the mullet out too, just unscrew the lid and pour them out like quicksilver staright into the bucket, no need to touch them which will help them stay live longer.

I don't think we have any restrictions on poddy traps down
    here, if we have I better be careful. now and then I take the net
    to our golf club,high tide dams just loaded,crystal clear water.
    cheers Lew.
    If you can dream it, you can do it.

this is an awesome explaination for those interested in the poddy mullet traps.
    http://www.####.net/wiki/index.php?title=Bait_Trap
    Cheers,

best one i saw was a clear flouro tube put some bread in and it fills up with mullet and they cant swim backwards works well coop

I bought a clear plastic ready made pipe with screw on convex ends from Mossops many years ago. First attempt in Tarragindi creek saw me agog at the amount of rainbow fish and poddy mullet that went in. unit was about 250mm long but it was packed tighter than a sardine can.

Cast nets definitley NOT legal in NSW.

Cheers
    Rob

all those traps will work, but the secret to catching mullet is where you put the trap and when, even the best store bought trap is useless if not used in the right area.

Bubsy, Thats exactly the same one i used to use when i was a young whiper sniper...used to work a treat...not that ive been looking but can you still get them???