Thread: OK, So I Brought Some Frogs - Now What?

OK, So I Brought Some Frogs - Now What?

Yeah yeah yeah, watched the dvd on the weekend and like most, fell in love with the bow wave action.
    So, Im driveing past Jonses's this arvo and cant help myself, had to drop in, next thing you know Ive got some froggies and Nitros to suit, plus a couple of extra "must haves".

So heres the question.

Weve all seen the DVD, I hear reports every now and then of a fish here and a fish there caught on kermies, but who is haveing regular success, to the point where they are a go to lure in the arsenal. I know differant presentations for differant situations, and my favourite line, with apoligies to Steve B for plagarizeing, is "fish the situation, not the promotion" but these things announced their latest incarnation with a bang, Im wondering if that is still sustained?

cheers
    brian

Re: OK, So I Brought Some Frogs - Now What?

Do bay barra count ??? If so barra love them wind them on the surface or just under so they still make a V ripple.
    BUT i believe it is not the frog that gets the barra to strike, the frog is just another little piece of plastic that has been shown to us in one of the best situations by one of the best/well know barra fisho and if you haven't watched the dvd you are missing out i would think most keen barra fisho's would have watched it by now.
    Any lure rigged rite and used in the rite situation will get a barra to hit or chase down i have caught barra on 110mm squidgy fish rigged with a owner weedless hook winding along the surface like in the movie.
    It is just a reaction strike i have had barra hit a tango dancer when i been winding in from a crap cast.
    Good luck shellow areas would be where im throwing them even hop the frog off the bank then along the surface if its grass or somthing like that where your lure isnt going to get dirty or tangled. May end up in a hook up

cheers BK

Well Brian ...... Why dont you tell us after this weekend

Seriously though..... Having fished a couple of morning session at Awoonga with them ....... no fish landed but several strikes , boofs ..... + the BOW WAVE - They certainly have a place on the boat........... I bought a new more suitable rod based on those sessions

Most certainly a fish the situation lure ..... rather than a GO TO one .......... Having said that I can see situations where a slow fished sinking & twitched toad could be deployed ......... & maybe with the tough fishing at mondy atm - - - who knows!!

Let us know how you go

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

A little birdy told me that they can be adjusted to suit with a pair of braid scissors, for different swim actions. Don't know excactly how he does it but thought I'd let you know.

Just another option Brian......I have 3 rods setup for different occasions....in your case u use 4 rods......loving this somewhat warmer weather Brian....Whitto
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Brian,

definaltly take them. The right time and place can be found ATM. Foxie tells me they have been getting them at Mondy on frogs. There are some great weedbeds starting to form sub surface.....thats the gear you need!! Remember..that DVD was filmed this time last year so conditions should be starting to match.

Read my post on the "monduran report 15-17" thread...had a bow wave yesterday

cheers steve

Very True Steve.......4 weeks go it was noticeable all the new weed growth.......hammer the shite out of it and u may very well be rewarded.....all new hidey holes for the Barra and the bait
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Quote Originally Posted by Whitto View Post
    Very True Steve.......4 weeks go it was noticeable all the new weed growth.......hammer the shite out of it and u may very well be rewarded.....all new hidey holes for the Barra and the bait
    Couldn't agree more ........ Found some places at Mondy Muster - but didn't think of Kermit ........ Then the penny dropped at Awoonga ..
    Now i'll be rigged for it ...... on outfit No 5

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Brian, I've only used them once at mondy and scored a big hit on it(the only one for the trip unfortunately) But am heading up for a week early next month and will definately have one rigged and ready. Hope this heat fires them up for you(and me). Ben

whats the movie im missing out on? i wanna see kermit drowned by a big paddle-tailed monster...

Quote Originally Posted by magicmarlin View Post
    whats the movie im missing out on? i wanna see kermit drowned by a big paddle-tailed monster...
    latest fishing DVD mate

Brian,
    The frog is only a shape.

The V wake would be something a lizard, snake or even rat or mouse would produce

A paddler {jitterbug style lure} or blooper {hoola popper style} would be more conjusive to an actual frog's swimming action.

Surface commotion will bring fish up to feed from depths just below the surface & down to 10-12 feet.

All sorts of critters cross waterways & fall out of trees. Fish of many species prey on these critters yet are rarely seen feeding on these.

For what it's worth I've noticed on the species I chase that if they are feeding aggressively then a fast retrieve will be the order of the day. If they are hesitant as in swirling around a surface lure or bait then a slow retrieve is needed with constant pauses of anywhere from 1 or 2 seconds to 10 seconds. This longer pause with slow retrieve can & does entice weary fish to strike.

I don't think the actual shape such as a frog swimming more like a mammal or reptile would be of any great significance under the circumstances.

Only my opinion yet worth a thought. It applies to Murray Cod, Bass & many other species. Barra are no different, after all they are a fish.