Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: CruiseCraft Appreciation Thread

Re: CruiseCraft Appreciation Thread

suppose i better put a pic as well, really enjoying the boat, its been great on the Bay a little CC Explorer 485, have it basically sorted now
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tangles KFC

CruiseCraft Appreciation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by julian1 View Post
    here's another one for you thats just arrived down South
    Attachment 93570
    With Julian's permission, I have taken the liberty of quoting his post to the other thread on here.

Why? Well, it is an excellent post, and very relevant to the nature of this Thread, but also because it truly portrays the Holy Grail of the which boat 'for me' decision - IMHO. That is, how to weigh-up the compromises that suit your particular and current situation best.

It also provides some excellent feedback on the 685 from someone who has owned a lot of different boats, and who is obviously very happy with his decision.

Further, it also gives (another) glowing report on what is truly an excellent and very forgiving hull, and what traits I am reminded of every time I use mine (although an Outsider 685) in average conditions, or worse.

Lastly, it will obviously be a lot easier for people searching for information on the Explorer 685 to find it in this Thread.

PS. As individuals, our ideas and situations change - sometimes more than others. Not everyone will agree with the comments or the importance of certain compromises here, but they may give some the courage to seek out a ride or two while making the important decisions .
    Cheers
    Brendon

Quote Originally Posted by julian1 View Post
    ...Every boat is compromise of some sort as I have been searching for the perfect boat for some time and its taken me a while to realise this. There are pro's and cons for both Cats and Mono's and here's what I sent Hilta:
    Hi Mark, yes its an interesting comparo, ive had a 680Sf Haines, an Edencraft 233 then the 660 Noosacat then a 2700 Noosacat and now the 685 Cruisecraft. it really depends on what sort of sea's that you spend most of your time in. the CC685 is a fantastic compromise hull that's stable and rides very well and is very quiet and rigid. It does not ride like the cats in bay chop as you loose that cushion and also its not like a super deepvee either in bay chop but still rides well. BUT offshore in the swells and big sea its very very good, it never puts a foot wrong and heading into the sea and swells with the trim tabs down it sticks to water like glue and uses the sharp nose to slice through and hardly get's airborne, I have past many boats punching out to the shelf that would be horrified that a CC685 went past them. Also down sea its just point and shoot and even keep a little bit of trim tab just to hold it in and it tracks true. It is not a boat for jumping waves as remember its only a 20 degree deadrise but then again cats do not like to jump waves head on either they always work better by keeping one of the hulls in the water. My CC685 has twin 115 Zukes (140's lean Burns would be the pick as I think twin 150's would be too heavy) extra layup of glass and that's about the only things ive had done over standard build. it is not a commercial build finish which is nice but can lead to exposure for damage if treated like a Kevla or Noosa with just flowcoat finishes. Offshore I am not travelling any slower than any of my Cats and using 40-50 litres less per day on a 200km distance. i'm also loving the tow compared to the old NC2700 !!!

my cruise craft explorer500 2004 model

Hey guys,

I can't believe it's over a year since the last post on this thread.

ive just picked up an old girl and brought it back to life so thought I'd share it with the cruisey owners.

it's a mid nineties galaxy 585xl. I don't think they built many as you never see them around, but it looks like a good boat to me.

It has a decent cockpit, plenty of cabin and a good hull underneath it. Does anyone know the origins of this hull? Is it the same as a 580 outsider hull? Or a 570 explorer? Either way it looks the package.