View Poll Results: Up grade?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do you buy top shelf and leave them standard?

9 22.50%
  • Do you buy top shelf and up grade?

18 45.00%
  • Do you up grade hooks?

21 52.50%
  • Do you upgrade rings?

12 30.00%
  • Do you buy budget and up grade?

4 10.00%
  • Do you wait till something fails?

8 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barra lure upgrades

Question Barra lure upgrades

Many do it

Pay good money for a lure designed for a purpose then spend more $$$ on upgrading it to the task

OR

Maybe you buy the best available and leave 'em alone?

What are your preferences?

I go for Owner hooks and rings.

What sizes are you using? Rings? Hooks?
    same back and front? or smaller on the rear

I am happy with #4 @ 50lb but I know others who use bigger. The lure ends up like a bloody chandelier with reef anchors hanging of it.

Besides the lose of flotation it looks like it would snag on water.

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Re: Barra lure upgrades

I'll use Owner trebles but this is my favourite beef up

A thing of Beuty!

The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Hey Daryl ...... List for me the lures that are designed for the task (big barra)

I'll start it off

1) Stiffy range
    2) ?
    3) ?
    4) ?
    5) ?
    etc
    etc

Seriously ..... I cant think of another lure that would not require a STN66 & split face lift Some awesome lures out there - but most carry hardware that could be opened by an 80-90cm fish ( specially against a tight drag) + the jaw pressure that can be exerted by a 90cm fish ..... can definitely open standard trebles. In the end its insurance - why skimp on $100 worth of hooks (20 lures)

Sizes of upgrades (splits & hooks) just depends on the lure & the level of buoyancy required ....... I've run from #2 to 2/O & up to #7 hyperwire splits
    Also ..... I've swam an upgrade which has been a replication of the same lure - only to have to change it

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yep up-grades are useful to most if not all lures with a barra's mouth being the design it is, it stretches even the strongest hook, I do up grade to Owner stn66 but only as I bend the standard trebble I wont sit and put new hooks on a lure for no reason maily as i am yet to loose a fish to a bent one but before you say it will happen I know but time will tell. I took plenty of fish up to a dollar 15 last year 9 in one session on standard every day vipers and arafuras, and bent 2 hooks total.

Its a personal thing more so insurance and peace of mind I guess.

Nath

Wink Re: Barra lure upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Hey Daryl ...... List for me the lures that are designed for the task (big barra)

I'll start it off

1) Stiffy range
    2) ?
    3) ?
    4) ?
    5) ?
    etc
    etc

Seriously ..... I cant think of another lure that would not require a STN66 & split face lift Some awesome lures out there - but most carry hardware that could be opened by an 80-90cm fish ( specially against a tight drag) + the jaw pressure that can be exerted by a 90cm fish ..... can definitely open standard trebles. In the end its insurance - why skimp on $100 worth of hooks (20 lures)

Sizes of upgrades (splits & hooks) just depends on the lure & the level of buoyancy required ....... I've run from #2 to 2/O & up to #7 hyperwire splits
    Also ..... I've swam an upgrade which has been a replication of the same lure - only to have to change it

Chris
    Chris, my point is that they are marketed as BIG BARRA lures, but may not be up to the task and I am not referring to the chaep lures.

I am inclined to agree with Tropical Nath I don't automatically up grade everything. I have landed big fish on standard Arafuras, Vipers & Scorpions from Mondy and Awoonga. Mind you those big girls did not get too deep in the forest of Doom.

I fish with mates who swear by them out of the box and won't interfere for fear of changing flotation swim etc. I certainly have upgraded and carry spare owner hooks and rings.

It seems some blokes are just short of fishing with grapples and chain.

Interesting to hear the varying opinions mate especially from blokes like yourself who have a recent history of IBD therapy the envy of most .

It seems you are either fishing or doing 'Plastic surgery' you lucky bastard.
    (or maybe upgrading the trailer ) Perhaps we should call you the Doctor
    Last edited by darylive; 27-10-2008 at 09:06 AM. Reason: stuff

The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Quote Originally Posted by darylive View Post
    Chris, my point is that they are marketed as BIG BARRA lures, but may not be up to the task and I am not referring to the chaep lures.

I am inclined to agree with Tropical Nath I don't automatically up grade everything. I have landed big fish on standard Arafuras, Vipers & Scorpions from Mondy and Awoonga. Mind you those big girls did not get too deep in the forest of Doom.

I fish with mates who swear by them out of the box and won't interfere for fear of changing flotation swim etc. I certainly have upgraded and carry spare owner hooks and rings.

It seems some blokes are just short of fishing with grapples and chain.

Interesting to hear the varying opinions mate especially from blokes like yourself who have a recent history of IBD therapy the envy of most .

It seems you are either fishing or doing 'Plastic surgery' you lucky bastard.
    (or maybe upgrading the trailer ) Perhaps we should call you the Doctor
    Hi Daryl

Thats the problem ....... Those lures mentioned are reasonably expensive Aussie lures & are marketed as big barra lures - yet they still use standard hooks ( Mustads & VMCs) ........ but even 6X VMCs are easily opened if you have a top & bottom jaw hook set or gill cover / jaw.... Why risk a fish when we can upgrade
    I totally agree about effecting the lure action ........ Its something that you need to tinker with ........ I'd rather drop down a size in STN-66s & double splits than stick with standards ......... Its just me

I have a lot of spare time on my hands ...... so tinkering is fun & keeps me out of the pub
    As for trailers Daryl ........ I'm sick of em!!!!! Since my last trip (Sept) I've put on 2 new mud guards , 2 bearing re builds , 2 new winch post U bolts , Replaced 1 axle U bolt , 1 winch rope , 2 new trailer lights , 1 new brake cable adjuster .......... & I'm thinking of replacing the tie down strap .............. And the trailer is not yet 2 years old

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Wink Re: Barra lure upgrades

Have you thought about a polly trailer? :lipsrsealed:

The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Have you thought about a polly trailer? :lipsrsealed:

actually ..... Poly mudguards & plastic lights all broke .......... i should have hit em with a hair dryer ..... I mean heat gun

Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

i disagree about vmc hook i have used them for a while now and havent had any troulbe maybe that cause i dont tighten the drag up so tight that when you go to loosen it you need a wrench to undo i reckon thats what cause the hook to open up is winching barra in i mean if there is a weak point to be found thats the easiest way to do it not that i dont use stn 66 but vmc are just as good as them in my books easyiest way to test put a st on ya line and hook it to a wall pull and see what strain you need to bend them then do it to a vmc 6x and see under maxium condition they all will give way but under flowing drag condtions less chance
    just my point of view im sure there are others that think different

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Hi Daryl

Thats the problem ....... Those lures mentioned are reasonably expensive Aussie lures & are marketed as big barra lures - yet they still use standard hooks ( Mustads & VMCs) ........ but even 6X VMCs are easily opened if you have a top & bottom jaw hook set or gill cover / jaw.... Why risk a fish when we can upgrade
    I totally agree about effecting the lure action ........ Its something that you need to tinker with ........ I'd rather drop down a size in STN-66s & double splits than stick with standards ......... Its just me

I have a lot of spare time on my hands ...... so tinkering is fun & keeps me out of the pub
    As for trailers Daryl ........ I'm sick of em!!!!! Since my last trip (Sept) I've put on 2 new mud guards , 2 bearing re builds , 2 new winch post U bolts , Replaced 1 axle U bolt , 1 winch rope , 2 new trailer lights , 1 new brake cable adjuster .......... & I'm thinking of replacing the tie down strap .............. And the trailer is not yet 2 years old

Chris
    ubolts i would weld that winch on chris will limit give you a back up the the ubolts are only there if you use the trailer for multipe boats so weld that sucker . and bearings cand dye out of the packet im getting all that checked before we go
    i think and the motor is gettting a service on the thursday before as well

Quote Originally Posted by nipsta View Post
    i disagree about vmc hook i have used them for a while now and havent had any troulbe maybe that cause i dont tighten the drag up so tight that when you go to loosen it you need a wrench to undo i reckon thats what cause the hook to open up is winching barra in i mean if there is a weak point to be found thats the easiest way to do it not that i dont use stn 66 but vmc are just as good as them in my books easyiest way to test put a st on ya line and hook it to a wall pull and see what strain you need to bend them then do it to a vmc 6x and see under maxium condition they all will give way but under flowing drag condtions less chance
    just my point of view im sure there are others that think different
    Hi Simon

I wont argue about the flowing drag etc ....... But as I found out on my very first metery (105 @ Faust) - The jaw pressure opened up 2 of the 3 trebles on a classic 120 (6X VMCs upgrades) ......... luckily I still managed the fish after a prolonged fight .........
    after that ...... I was so surprised & I started to upgrade to STN66s & hyperwire splits.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Lightbulb Re: Barra lure upgrades

As an aside boys I just bought some imported plastic lollies from tim n

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...d.php?t=140294

Not many left if you are interested get in quick

Steve B I hope you picked the right colours,
    I am told we got the same selection
    Last edited by darylive; 27-10-2008 at 09:05 PM. Reason: edit stuff

The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

As an aside boys I just bought some imported plastic lollies from tim n

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...d.php?t=140294

Not many left if you are interested get in quick

Steve B I hope you picked the right colours,
    I am told we got the same selection
    So Did I daryl!!!

As for trebs and splits. I use owners. not just for the strength factor, but for the penetration and 'stay sharp' factors.................given the cash we spend on everything else, the one simple point where we are connected to the fish should not be skimped on IMHO.

steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    So Did I daryl!!!

As for trebs and splits. I use owners. not just for the strength factor, but for the penetration and 'stay sharp' factors.................given the cash we spend on everything else, the one simple point where we are connected to the fish should not be skimped on IMHO.

steve

GOOD POINT
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO