View Poll Results: Up grade?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do you buy top shelf and leave them standard?

9 22.50%
  • Do you buy top shelf and up grade?

18 45.00%
  • Do you up grade hooks?

21 52.50%
  • Do you upgrade rings?

12 30.00%
  • Do you buy budget and up grade?

4 10.00%
  • Do you wait till something fails?

8 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barra lure upgrades

Re: Barra lure upgrades

Do you fellas put a up grade on the splitty that's on the front or bib?

In a word Nath.......No...I've never had a failure at this point
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Quote Originally Posted by darylive View Post
    Many do it

Pay good money for a lure designed for a purpose then spend more $$$ on upgrading it to the task

OR

Maybe you buy the best available and leave 'em alone?

What are your preferences?

I go for Owner hooks and rings.

What sizes are you using? Rings? Hooks?
    same back and front? or smaller on the rear

I am happy with #4 @ 50lb but I know others who use bigger. The lure ends up like a bloody chandelier with reef anchors hanging of it.

Besides the lose of flotation it looks like it would snag on water.
    Owners mate, ST66 #2 to 2/0 depending on the lure, I use a mix of hyper wire #6 and Halco 4xx splits, though I prefer the Halcos. Some of my deep divers (trollers) still have VMC 6X from the original up-grades, but they are being progresively changed. I figure the VMC on a troll lure wont be copping as much stress as a owner used in the sticks, but better safe than sorry.
    Most of my lures these days are running double splits and 2 oversize hooks, rather than the three hook set up. I reckon the double splits gives me a bit more play when a fish is twisting and thrashing its head, and the oversize hooks help with a larger exposed hook gape, hopefully meaning better hook up ratio, plus as an added bonus, they contribute to buoyancy conrol.
    I remove the front tow split if I can get away with it, other wise its up-graded as well.

cheers
    brian

I'm in 2 minds whether to remove them all together after loosing a fish when the sharp edge cut through the loop in a leader

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I'm in 2 minds whether to remove them all together after loosing a fish when the sharp edge cut through the loop in a leader

Chris
    Thats happened to me before mate, unfortunately some HB's (no names Mr Gadden) have a very leader un-friendly tow point.

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Thats happened to me before mate, unfortunately some HB's (no names Mr Gadden) have a very leader un-friendly tow point.
    Mine happened on an X RAP ....... & I know what you mean about classics

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Here's a few of my upgrades, also put the singles on Poltergeists, they work a treat, outstanding hook-up rate!

Quote Originally Posted by Blinky View Post
    Here's a few of my upgrades, also put the singles on Poltergeists, they work a treat, outstanding hook-up rate!

G'Day Blinky......can't open the attachments....was told I was not authorised to do so....would love to see your upgrades....Whitto

your right, not authorised

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Thanks Blinky......Love the Barra Classics.....I will definatedly give that a shot

Good onya Blinky ....... you certainly wont be straightening those bad boys

What is the hook up rate like ?

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Good onya Blinky ....... you certainly wont be straightening those bad boys

What is the hook up rate like ?

Chris
    Hook up rate is surprisingly good, you aren't going to nab the face slappers that you would using trebs, 90% of them are rats anyways! The good thing about the singles is once they get a hold they don't let go, especially when used in conjunction with the kevlar cord, you can get up to 1080° of hook rotation. Unlike split rings, even when used doubled up, there is no mechanical advantage gained by the fish when using kevlar.

Quote Originally Posted by Blinky View Post
    Hook up rate is surprisingly good, you aren't going to nab the face slappers that you would using trebs, 90% of them are rats anyways! The good thing about the singles is once they get a hold they don't let go, especially when used in conjunction with the kevlar cord, you can get up to 1080° of hook rotation. Unlike split rings, even when used doubled up, there is no mechanical advantage gained by the fish when using kevlar.
    I've got some of those bad boys ...... but use them for jigging with knife jigs

I've thought about using them .... but I dont really have a major issue with hard body lures atm .......... but yes .... duly noted & easily converted

Thanks

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Blinky do you have dramas with the hooks catching on eachother with that setup. Looks as though there is a fair bit of overlap going on. They do look pretty mean though. Ben