Thread: awoonga barra report 22nd oct- 26th

awoonga barra report 22nd oct- 26th

Basically shut down all days, with very few caught on any day. None by us.

On arrival we were greeted by a stinking hot day that felt 30degrees, no wind and a dismal 23 degree water temp(which we now realise is too low ) but it looked like it was going to get warmer . we tried around the nursery and a couple of bays with plastics like slick rigs, atomics, other squidgys and even gulps, plus hard bodies including clasics, eco gear and scorpions, about a thousand casts later still nothing so we went back to camp.

This is pretty much all that happened, everyday. how during the day and bringing up the water temp to 24-25 then blow a stiff southerly during the night and push it back down to 22-23. New Zealand bay had a good show on the sounder in the weeds, water was 5 metres deep with weeds to 3 so we cast and trolled these banks fairly heavilly and still nothing.

The final result is 0 fish and a few empty cartons and bottles , although a local claimed to catch a few at night but i couldn't see them in his boat. maybe a catch and release kind of guy.

awoonga beat us this year, but next year we will be more prepared ( sorry work, your only getting a weeks notice) and more informed.

Re: awoonga barra report 22nd oct- 26th

Better luck next time Paul.

We fished there friday night(24/10/2008) from about 5pm-11pm. My mate caught a fair size catty on a surface lure and then about 10pm i hooked onto a monster 117cm barra. on a little rod and reel it was plenty of fun. Got it into the boat after a few happy snaps let it go again.

Other then that there was 1 other strike and it was pretty quiet on the whole.

Heres a pic of the beast

Don't despair PP ..... those results are common place at several impoundments atm

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

if your talking about wednesday night.. im pretty sure that be i.
    and yes they are still swimming.

dont despair.. its been tough on everyone lately.

Ah Awoonga, land of broken dreams and amazing fishing experiences!
    Seriously mate, can I give you some advice that may help.
    On a full trip like that, Hire a guide on your first day, this will ramp you up to current approach, in current conditions and current trends in lures, locations and presentations. Everyone of these are variables, and can change daily and weekly and monthly let alone yearly. Believe me, people were catching when you were there, there's no consolation or learning in being told its "hard at the moment"
    Especially if you are travelling a long distance on an annual trip, the cost compared to your whole budget is very reasonable.
    Recently we fished one day with a guide for 5 awesome fish, and proceeded by ourselves the second day to get 7. And not one fish on the lures you mentioned.
    Hope your next trip is a cracker!
    Barrboy7
    " Fishing is not a hobby, a Hobby is something I do in my spare time! "

thats the plan for next time, hire a guide. the bloke i spoke to at the ramp was on friday nght so musnt have been you. Still had fun, just a little deflating.