Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Monduran Report 17th - 25th

Monduran Report 17th - 25th

Hi Guys, got home last week from a VERY unproductive trip. Arrived last Sat after a great run up, set up camp and hit the dam for a recky and a few casts. Must have been more that 60 trailers at the dirt ramp, same a concrete ramp.
    Same on Sunday, went out with a guide for a few hours which set the scene for the week.
    We cast plastics and HB's up on the shallows and the timber for 6 solid days and nights for a total of one catfish and one dropped fish.

In the whole week we heard of 12 fish caught, 10 on the troll and 2 in the sticks, both fish caught in the sticks we pinned under the jaw.

Other than the fishing we had a good week and it was great to get experience in a new environment, meet new people and fuel my determination to get organised and get my ass back up there b4 end of Summer.

Cheers, Pete.

Re: Monduran Report 17th - 25th

Whoa, Lake Misery strikes again, thats a lot of hours on the water pete for little reward!
    Thanks for the report, sounds like some tuff sessions in front of us all until the higher temps kick in.

cheers
    brian

i heard it was quiet but i didnt think it was that quiet.

thats fishing.

oh the monduran donut its a hard experiance but one thing is for sure it could be all on fire tomorrow its a funny lake.

Nath

Hi Pete

Sorry to see that you didn't get the result ...... specially over the time you spent on the water

Now for the lowdown ......... The barra are just manoevering into position to be caught by the those that will arrive on the 7th ......

Cheers

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hi NAGG

Hope you are right, travelling from south of Coffs Harbour and arriving there on the 8th.

Merv

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Hi Pete

Sorry to see that you didn't get the result ...... specially over the time you spent on the water

Now for the lowdown ......... The barra are just manoevering into position to be caught by the those that will arrive on the 7th ......

Cheers

Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelone View Post
    Hi NAGG

Hope you are right, travelling from south of Coffs Harbour and arriving there on the 8th.

Merv
    Sorry fellas, but I intend to un-leash a "shock and awe" type onslaught the week end before yas, Ive got an IBD build up like a teenage boy surfin the net late at nite, and I pity the poor barra that makes the mistake of inhaleing one of my H.B's!

Sorry boys....it will be all over when I slay them tuesday arvo!!

Peter, It was great to meet you at foxies the other day. Pity about the ol doughnut....at least you got that out of the way...next time youll be set!!!

best of luck mate.

cheers steve

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Sorry fellas, but I intend to un-leash a "shock and awe" type onslaught the week end before yas, Ive got an IBD build up like a teenage boy surfin the net late at nite, and I pity the poor barra that makes the mistake of inhaleing one of my H.B's!
    I hope you are right Brian ....... Because I'm hearing that a Krispy Cream franchise is considering locating there

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Smile Re: Monduran Report 17th - 25th

Hi fellow Barra mads. Fished Monduran 13-20/10. Very hard work. I managed 1 boated, 1 dropped and 1 follow (huge bow wave behind the lure). Five mates 0ed out. All fish caught on Berkley Frogs. Hollow bellys looked good but didn't produce.
    MUST rig a stinger hook on the frogs to even the odds of a hook-up.
    Hope you guys do better.

That Bites Pete, after all the build up....I'm sure you will be back though!!
    Better luck next trip
    Cheers Kim.
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...
    'Oh Shit.....she's awake'

hi all

my wife and i were there all week 19th -25th also for a pair of donuts.

it was tough going all week. Admittedly in hind-sight we had underestimated how difficult it could be. i knew it would be tough but for some reason i thought we could fish for a couple of hours each day and pick up a fish or two.

we'd spend 6+ hours per day on the water but hadn't realsied that by the time you motor to different areas, set up a drift, tie up to a tree, make a couple of casts, untie from the tree, retrieve snagged lures, re rig un-tangle leaders and change lures we were actually only fishing (ie lures in the water) for 1-2 hours max.

it wasn't til the last couple of days that the penny dropped and we got really serious with lures being in water and stopped making hail mary - crossed fingers casts into garanteed snaggy country.

all the mucking around was wasting time in the water.

anyway lessons learned. and it was good to catch up with a couple of people from here and share war stories.

JIM

Well said Jim, you get wiser and wiser each trip. Our first few trips we spend 9-10hrs a day on the water often for very few fish. Last trip, we did that for the first few days, then wised up to the pattern of when they were on the chew(thanks nagg) and only put in 6hrs a day with a nice fish bite smack in the middle. Hard part is cracking that bite pattern.
    Cheers Kim.
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...
    'Oh Shit.....she's awake'

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I hope you are right Brian ....... Because I'm hearing that a Krispy Cream franchise is considering locating there

Chris

Fuel to my fire mate

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
    hi all

my wife and i were there all week 19th -25th also for a pair of donuts.

it was tough going all week. Admittedly in hind-sight we had underestimated how difficult it could be. i knew it would be tough but for some reason i thought we could fish for a couple of hours each day and pick up a fish or two.

we'd spend 6+ hours per day on the water but hadn't realsied that by the time you motor to different areas, set up a drift, tie up to a tree, make a couple of casts, untie from the tree, retrieve snagged lures, re rig un-tangle leaders and change lures we were actually only fishing (ie lures in the water) for 1-2 hours max.

it wasn't til the last couple of days that the penny dropped and we got really serious with lures being in water and stopped making hail mary - crossed fingers casts into garanteed snaggy country.

all the mucking around was wasting time in the water.

anyway lessons learned. and it was good to catch up with a couple of people from here and share war stories.

JIM

Thanks for bringing up a very important point Jim.....Good work mate. Sorry to hear about your bad luck though mate.

We all talk about 'gun lures/plastics' etc but often overlook the critical 'lure time in the water' factor.............and more importantly having the lure in the right place at the right time (not up a tree or on a snag etc) ............it really adds up when you calculate the lure in water time over a long day casting........it often can add up to hours of difference.......especially of you take into consderation casting distances and accuracy to hit spots.

Thanks Jim.....I hope you have a better run next time.

cheers steve