Thread: 2lb fire line crystal real strength

2lb fire line crystal real strength

do any of you guys no what 2lb fire line crystal realy snaps at. has any one tested it
    figjam :wink:

Re: 2lb fire line crystal real strength

Dunno about 2lb, but Adam Royter did a test on 1lb Fireline crystal and it broke at 5.4lb.

20lb fireline broke at 55lb.

These were his unofficial tests.

This is the reason ANSA does not allow braid in line class fishing.
    Greg

the test that adam royter did with the 1lb was with proper testing equipment so they cant really say that 1lb can hold 5.4lb of pressure when actually fishing it.. its only the line itself.

2lb fireline alike all other lines is only as strong as its knot strength.
    i tested out my spool of it and it broke at 4.5lb at the knot, constistantly after 4 attempts.

hope that answers ur question

matt.

Greg

some braids from the sunline range have been approved, breaking at just short of its recommended breaking strain.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepygreg View Post
    Greg
    Does that include all those IGFA rated PE lines?

I use to use 4lb fireline on all my small reels & have caught some massive fish. Definately breaks way over its rating. I just wish they would make it so it was nice & soft like other top quality braids.

Does anyone know how Stren microfuse compares to fireline, in regards to breaking strain? I find i get less wind loops & the microfuse is heaps softer.

I use to use 4lb fireline on all my small reels & have caught some massive fish. Definately breaks way over its rating. I just wish they would make it so it was nice & soft like other top quality braids.

Does anyone know how Stren microfuse compares to fireline, in regards to breaking strain? I find i get less wind loops & the microfuse is heaps softer.

the reason why its not soft like braid, is because it isnt a "braided" line.
    its gelspun line.

im yet to try the light stren mircofused.

I have some 2Lb crystal spooled up and I don't think the question is that simple.

If we are talking steady state breaking strain, as far i I can measure my spool breaks at about 2KG.

but it occurs to me that the breaking strain of braids may vary considerably under different circumstances...... that may be difficult to measure.

If braid has low elastisity it will also have poor performance in shock loads compared to its steady state loading.
    This is a general rule of engineering not just fishing line.

nylon rope has a much better shock load performance that chain of the same static strenght for instance.

This my account for quite a lot of the irregiularities in braid rated V actual breaking strains.

I have seen braid break like cotton where a knot is used that causes the braid to cut its self.... same braid same terminal different knot.... very different performance.

I am very interested in this because I tink there is a awfull lot of BS told about braid breaking strains .

cheers

The way ANSA tests line is by constantly applied pressure, wet. Knot strength is not taken into consideration as it has so many variable. Shock tests are also not taken into consideration...also because of so many variables. And from last reports I have heard ...PE rated lines are also not acceptable to ANSA. Please note that line class fishing is just that ...LINE CLASS....what the line should break at or just below...NOT OVER. And line class byline testing...not manufacturers claimed line rating for marketing purposes.

if you are not fishing ANSA line class, then this is all irrelevant.....so use what you think is best for your purpose.

Gelspun v Braid?........I was always under the belief that Braid was the generic term for Gelspun Polyethelene....ie braided polyethelene(GSP).... as opposed to fused polyethelene...eg Fusion. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Greg

Sorry Greg, i was under the assumption that if a spool of a certain type of line was an IGFA rated line then it was also be ANSA.

Braids are made by braiding or weaving fibers of a man-made material like Spectra or MircoDyneema into a straid of line, giving it a round(ish) profile.
    Where as gelspun goes through a different process.
    GSP filaments are twisted and characterized by a large molecular weight to a temperature within the melting point range of the polyolefin and are given sufficient time to partially fuse the filaments together. giving it a stiffer and more flat profile.

matt.