Thread: half moon bay, california. 10/19/08

half moon bay, california. 10/19/08

took the boat out for a quick run down the coast yesterday. been trying to schedule a day on the water with these guys for the last 3 months and finally found a date when everyone could make it. my crew was made up of 3 dads from the local elementary school (doug, jeff and eric) and an 8 year old (eric's son scotty). ok, this is not a good start......

we launched out of half moon bay and saw the bait receiver open. ok, so i'm going to waste all of the frozen squid i bought the other day. we're getting a scoop of live bait!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$50 might seem like alot, but it will be well worth it if the fish get picky.

seas were flat calm for a change. i ran 20 miles down coast to the "triangle of death," right off of san gregorio. we blew past a party boat half way down. it turned out to be dennis baxter of the new captain pete.

i make it a point to always fish in 60 feet of water or less. that way i can safely release a fish if it is undersized or the wrong species. the entire triangle was stacked with fish, top to bottom.

jeff stuck this nice ling cod on the very first drop!!!!!!!!!!

most of the fish were blues in the 1 to 1.5 pound range like this one that doug caught. note the small single treble hook. this is my preferred live bait rig for rockfish. i use a 7 foot trevala rod rated 20-50. the reel is a daiwa 17 line counter with an oversized handle grip, loaded with 50# spectra. the spectra is tied straight through a slider to a swivel. the minimum weight i use is 4 ounces. 6 or 8 ounces is preferred. the leader is three feet of 30# maxima ultra green with a small no. 4 treble hook and a perfection loop on both ends. the live anchovie is hooked topdown through the nose and sent to the bottom. as soon as a rock fish hits, the treble hook is immediately set by the 4, 6 or 8 ounce weight. these fish are almost always lip hooked. we did not have a single rockfish that was gill hooked or gut hooked the entire day. i have found that lighter 1, 2 or 3 ounce weights allow the rockfish time to swallow the hook too deep. that's why i use the heavier weights.

when we get away from the school fish, we will find ling cod. we also find these vermillion. this one tipped the scales at 7 pounds whole. just because the screen on the fish finder is blank, it doesn't mean there are no fish.

scotty was not to be outdone. here's ling cod #1.......

.... vermillion #1 (note the hook placement), ........

.... and ling cod #2. we had just been smoked by an 8 year old!

scotty's dad, eric, finally caught something of note.

at one point, captain baxter pulled in close to us and started a drift. i remembered the squid, nosed in and passed it over. glad the bait did not go to waste.

we ended the day with a legal limit of rockfish (including 3 vermillions and a cabezon) and 3 ling cod.
    eddie's brother, grady white 258

Re: half moon bay, california. 10/19/08

i had the kid drive on the way back. at 25 kts, scotty was flashing a slightly more nervous smile.

back at the dock, scotty crawled into the truck and passed out. we were soaped, scrubbed, rinsed and dried in a record 45 minutes.

this was a nasty little surprise. one of the guys snagged this spectra late in the morning and it pulled out of his hands when he was trying to clear his line. now i know why. i'll have to pull the prop later this week. hopefully it did not dig any deeper than this.

scotty says he's gonna be really good the rest of the year and ask santa for one of these for christmas.........
    eddie's brother, grady white 258

Thanks for sharing your fishing adventures with us. It's good to hear a report from the US.

Cheers,

Wags

Thanks for the great report. It's good to see something different. Looks like you got some nice fish there. If that is a picture of a boat ramp in the US, I'm jealous .

John.

excellent!!!...those vermillions are a fantastic looking fish...how are they to eat???...by the looks of the catch it was well worth the wait ...those Grady Whites are a great looking boat...how much feul did you guys use???...bananas...PFFFTT...what bananas
    thanks for the report and piccies Alantani

Mrs Benno1

Hi there Alan,

Great to get a report from across the globe. It looks like it's a little chilly there at the moment.

What are those laminated cards you have swinging around your necks ? .............some sort of license ?

Looks like a top day that your crew will remember for years to come , especially the young fella..........thanks for the story

cheers Jimmy

This Scotty will be asking for one of those for christmas too!!!!

Well done Alan on your whole outlook on catching fish as well as releasing those fish not wanted in good health.

Scoota...

excellent report

pics are spot on
    thanx
    scotty

Fantastic post Alan, thanks for sharing.
    Great to read and see reports from other countries.
    Cheers.

Hi Alan,
    Great report & pics as usual. Leave some for me next year.
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter

excellent mate

Excellent report.
    Some top looking fish there too. One of those cod pics looks almost like aflathead from the angle of the shot.
    Wish I knew they had fishing like that when we did the US trip a few years ago. Although I enjoyed myself, I would have loved even a couple of hours on the water. DId the whole Disney thing and only realized on the last couple of days just how close to the briny we were

Top stuff, how good is the live bait reciever. Just pull in and get a scoop and off you you go, now that's fishing

peter, let me know when you're coming back to the states. august, september and october are good months for us.

the live bait we get is fairly decent, and it definitely catches fish. the cards hanging from our necks are fishing licenses. you have to wear one while fishing. i was wondering what happened to eric's license. the vermillions make great fish tacos. they have to be well cooked, though. the larger fish are always a bit wormy. the grady's are great boats. i typically burn 13-14 gallons per hour at 3800-4000 rpm and 22-25 kts.

Uh-Oh if the group you took out were not already fisherman they are now! great shots and the fish, never seen them before.

cheers fnq