Thread: what to get? calcutta 200B or curado?

what to get? calcutta 200B or curado?

i have been looking at alot of overheads lately been interested in calcutta's,veinnto or a curado.

can anyone shed some light on the better features in them?

much appricaited

cheers zac

Re: what to get? calcutta 200B or curado?

Zac, checkout Shimano and Daiwa's websites.

Don't discount th ABU Revo either. Great reel for the price.

Get a Zillion.

Put them on a rod and feel how they sit in your hand. I like high profile because I grew up on the old ABU's but most seem to go for mid or low profile
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

im in the same boat as you zac. im going to go with the revo stx, im hoping to get it in the next few days so as soon as i get it and catch a fish on it, i will let ya no how it go's.
    figjam :wink:

I agree with Horse.

The two reels you've mentioned are totally different & depending on the rod the calcutta may feel top heavy &/or the curado uncomfortable.

Do yourself a favour & take the rod to a tackle shop and try them for balance & comfort, otherwise you may be very disappointed.

yeah the revo seems like good bang for your buck,
    i went for the zillion a while back and love it,
    has to be my fav reel,

i dont think you can go wrong with any of those you mention,
    dont be afraid to look at japan sites as they are still cheaper even with the crappy exchange rate at the moment

ok im sorry mate but i cant comment on the revo stx as some bugger out bid the one i was getting so i got sh%ty and got an alphas insted today. il let ya no how it go's when it arrives. heehehehe alphas woohoo hehehahaha
    figjam :wink:

My fav reel is the chronarch mg51, i run 20lb finns on it for jacks and love it. It is light and feels awesome (and goes great with a bear B6-6 rod) i would get that if you have another 50 or so dollars. But otherwise i would get a revo, i put a order in yesterday for one for my 2nd jack setup. My brother has had one for a year now and feels brand new, they are awesome for the price.

the New Curado 200E looks very good. check out Tackle tour for a full review. they've made the new one much smaller than the previous model but retained the same line capacity. made it a bit lighter and under $300.

I've got a Daiwa Zillion, very happy with it for Barra and the like, wasn't real good at bass size lures unless using 3/8oz and up spinner baits or sinking lures like jackalls bit other wise great reel. I Got a spare spool from a Super PE Zillion and that has made casting lighter plugs much better. very smooth real, a bit heavy but small and comfortable to palm, strong drag out of the box but prone to getting a bit sticky with a bit of use. I've upgraded to Erskines Carbontex washers and a light smear of Cal's drag grease, its super smooth now.

We also have a Revo Premier(for Themissus). these are the ultralight model in the revo line up (175gm). Lots of Use of Duralium to reduce weight, not the same drag as the stx and 4 less bearings but they were deleted from the handle to further reduce weight so no a big deal for operational smoothness. The drag has just 1 single big carbon washer being squished between a SS washer and the lightweight(Duralium?) main gear. sounds like it would be weak(the drag) but it has proved to be more than adequate on some solid barra up to 96cm. the overall feel of the reel is great, really light in the hand, smooth to cast and to wind all day. The jury is still out on it overall build quality, we've had a few intermittent squeaks and squeals when casting...seemed to be more apparent with lighter lures(less pressure on the spool tension knob), everything was well lubed out of the box so I can't put my finger on what it was but after a couple of barra it's now quiet as a mouse. At first I was a bit sceptical about this reel, I'm starting to like it a lot especially the lightness of it.

Some other picks of mine would be the Alphas if you can get it at the right price. Plat currently has a few of the Alphas 103F (freshwater model) on its garage sale page for 19,800Yen....that's about $290AUD. not a bad price for the current exchange rate, they are normally over $350. note it is a freshwater model.

the New Shimano Curado has a (cheaper) little brother called the Citica 200E. come off the same production line in japan but has a few less bearings, different material spool (heavier) and different gearing. could be a good option too.

Happy shopping

Cheers Roo.