Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Impoundment Anchor System???

Impoundment Anchor System???

Hi guys, and girls, so just a question on the type of anchor system u use. I have a good length of line to tie of to timber with a shock rubber and a bouy on it should I need a fast getaway but what about anchoring on the bottom. Do u use a sand or a light reef anchor? I would be worried about the sandy getting fouled in the timber. Same deal would put a bouy on it too.
    Thanks in advance. Pete.

Re: Impoundment Anchor System???

For dams, I simply replace my sand anchor by a lead weight.

Luc

Yep thats what my dad and I do too Pete, we made a rectangle shaped mold for about 8lb of lead. Works a treat

cheers
    Brandon...

Lead Wedge anchor, dont use any chain just 6mm rope
    Cheers

Steven

Lead is great ...... A cheaper & easier alternative is concrete

Get a square / rectangle flower pot & fill it with cement ....... Use a little chain with a link exposed to tie off on ...... . About 15kgs for a 4.5M boat

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I have a multi purpose jobbie. It folds up like an umbrella and locks closed. It serves as a 'lump' anchor when closed or can be unfolded and locked open for a sand anchor. It saves having numerous anchors in the boat.

I have chain on it attached to the bottem then secured to the top with a zip tie.

Any argument in retrieval results in the zip tie breaking and the anchor coming up point first. If all goes bad it is small and not expensive but I haven't lost one yet.

Mushroom shaped anchors commonly used in the states are about the best for any bottom in the impoundments.

Lead wedges are a cheap and very efficient alternative too.

Jack.

The wife anchor works well but the bugger can still talk.... are saranity lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicaltrout View Post
    The wife anchor works well but the bugger can still talk.... are saranity lol

What ever anchor you use do it quietly.Stealth is very important when anchoring.

Dumbbells are pretty snag proof as well in a weight to suit your boat
    Regards

Richo

Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it.

TT the wife anchor sounds good but would she sit quietly in the boat for the 10 drive up the highway?

Cheers, Pete.

I'm using a 3.2kg fold-away anchor, no chain, and double-braided rope. Have added a float and a strong carabine clip to the end eye splice for quick release if we have to up it and chase a fish.

Same deal with my tie-up rope.

Cheers
    Paul
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Ren View Post
    I'm using a 3.2kg fold-away anchor, no chain, and double-braided rope. Have added a float and a strong carabine clip to the end eye splice for quick release if we have to up it and chase a fish.

Same deal with my tie-up rope.

Cheers
    Paul
    Hey Paul,

3 strains of barbed wire and 4 fence posts make a pretty solid anchor too hey!!

stevo

They just won't leave u alone will they Paul, one little miscalculation and they hound u mercilessly.