Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did the Monduran Familly Comp Go

How did the Monduran Familly Comp Go

Anyone fish it, was wondering about the overall results??
    cheers
    brian

Re: How did the Monduran Familly Comp Go

Brian and everyone.

Firstly Brian, Sorry about the ordinary trip to the big A. If you cant catch them, then it was tough fishing!!!

I was going to post a report last night after reading the interest and questions in Bass here at Monduran but I was KNACKERED!!

The MASA family fishing classic was a great success, unfortunalty the weather was crap to say the least, especially at the worst times around presentations and lucky draws!!! We had 840 (record) competitors, and would have been over a 1000 if not for the rain!! The comp ran really smoothly..as it was my first year, I was amazed at the efficiency of such a small number of dedicated MASA workers to pull off such a big comp. Poor Rob at the park and his family and workers were kept run off their feet all weekend but they did a great job. the crowds were excellent. Kids had a great time too..with heaps of mud and free givaways they loved it!!

For the fishing side.

I manned the upper weigh station (where all the action was) and we weighed in 40...yes 40 Bass....heaps more were caught and released too. The secret weapon was live schrimp, with a couple trolled up as bycatch to barra!!!
    It was refreshing to see so many people opting to release their fish (without persuasion!)

5 barra weighed in for the whole comp...biggest was 117cm 28kg. All were released too. (1 died).

The usual 1.2 tonnes of catties were weighed in and now are being taken on ice to the bundy cold stores to be used as crab bait.

I managed to fish off the bank at the weigh station for 10 minutes. I landed 2 catfish in 2 casts on a handline with the same piece of squid!!! I sat back down with 100% strike rate and had a refreshing beer!!...life doesnt get much better!!

All in all it was a top weekend, and I never heard anyone complaining about the lack of barra....it was a genuine family weekend. For the hard core fishos, it is still a great comp to be in because there is stacks of unfished water up the bays at the top of the dam...the majority of people either troll around basin or below white rocks, or bait soak for catties and bass. The boat ramp was not very busy as most people (myself included) left their boats in the water. There was VERY tight security from a guard and local SES. The ramps were very well organised. The fishing pressure will probably be worse around the full moon. So I highly reccommend the comp to anyone...I wished I could have fished now. $1000 bucks for the biggest barra would have been a good chance with so few caught. A mate of mine Paul Macay was leading with a 98cm for most of the morning....pipped at the post with 1/2 hour to spare.

I hope that covers most of the action from the weekend.

cheers steve
    Last edited by Steve B; 13-10-2008 at 10:25 AM. Reason: work related interuption!

Yes Steve, but were many barra caught?.......

Oops - just read your updated/edited post. Many thanks

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    I managed to fish off the bank at the weigh station for 10 minutes. I landed 2 catfish in 2 casts on a handline with the same piece of squid!!! I sat back down with 100% strike rate and had a refreshing beer!!...life doesnt get much better!!

cheers steve
    Geez Steve, It's hard to improve on perfection!!
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...
    'Oh Shit.....she's awake'

Hey Kim,

It's hard sitting there and watching everyone else fish!! I borrowed a handline from a competitor and 1 little piece of squid!!! the rest is history.....satistfied my little urge at the time!!!

steve

That is why Roo wont be my deckie for the No Blokes Comp.
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...

Hey Kim,

It's hard sitting there and watching everyone else fish!! I borrowed a handline from a competitor and 1 little piece of squid!!! the rest is history.....satistfied my little urge at the time!!!

steve
    So it was a SQUID-gie Stink Rig Steve Sorry...couldn't help myself. Sure you only had ONE refreshing ale? Catch up with ya for a quick coffee next Monday morn.

Cheers
    Paul
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

Quote Originally Posted by themissus View Post
    That is why Roo wont be my deckie for the No Blokes Comp.
    Kim

It would pain Roo no end to see you smash his PB and he could not do a darn thing about it Except sabotage your rigs.

Cheers
    Paul
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

Hey Kim,

steve

I thought a bit of Calamari would entice those WOG barra for sure ....... Now who was it that coined that Phrase
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Ren View Post
    Kim

It would pain Roo no end to see you smash his PB and he could not do a darn thing about it Except sabotage your rigs.

Cheers
    Paul
    What??? Rivalry between Roo and I...surley not. I need him there so he can tie my knots...you have a good point. Damn I'm going to have to learn to tie rope after all.
    Cheers Kim.

not sure if id leave the ally in the water steve it may dissolve overnight...

Quote Originally Posted by chewy01 View Post
    not sure if id leave the ally in the water steve it may dissolve overnight...
    oooh thats harsh!

there was a bloke in a poly parked next to the weigh in station....It was half full of dead catties and empty beer cans before someone realised it wasn't a wheelie bin.

Steve

paul, See ya next week. I actually had a QUIET weekend too. No partying!! just working and sleeping....with a few beers in between of course!

Good one. LMFAO

oooh thats harsh!

there was a bloke in a poly parked next to the weigh in station....It was half full of dead catties and empty beer cans before someone realised it wasn't a wheelie bin.

Steve

paul, See ya next week.

Yeah ok I'll pay that one.

Handlines hey, your starting to show you skill now. i would have peed myself if a big girl jumped on, you would have been Jesus christ and walked on water!!!!!!
    Thanks
    Ben