Thread: Somerset Report

Somerset Report

Spent a few hours on Somerset wednesday. ( Map from Beacon to Beacon)

A lot of weed on the windy shores. If casting lures you can expect to have to clear your trebbles on each cast.

Fished around Neils Rock ( hit the rock ) Osprey Bay and up Oaky Creek, finally above the Kilcoy Fishing Club lane. Had a few bumps in all, no hookups.

Good signs of bait fish both on the sounder and on the surface.

Plenty of birdlife on the dam. Cormorants nesting off Neils Rock, couple of large Browns seen heading out there obviously feeding on the eggs or chicks.

If you go upstream past Snag Alley there is an island that has been taken over by Seagulls. You can't miss it. No need to go ashore but the children could enjoy seeing the chicks that have hatched. This would be an attraction for snakes also so be careful.

I will get serious next week, leave the camera at home.

Regards Gordon

Re: Somerset Report

G'day Gordon,

We had a similar day on Somerset last Saturday. Perfect weather - sunny, light northerly breeze.......

Saw lots of birds, baitfish, gar and plenty of shows of bass on the sounder but could not get the buggers to commit. Use soft plastics, hardbodies, metal slugs and spinnerbaits for a couple of bumps over 5 hours......

Bloody cheeky of SEQWC asking $15 for a weekly permit to get a boat on the water - why don't they have a daily fee??

Lovely waterway though.....

Pete

I know what you mean Pete. Its a way of restricting the numbers on the Dam I guess. I pay $70 per year and make sure I get my value out of the fee.

Regards Gordon

whats this about a fee to put a boat on the lake....?

is this not in the SIP

There is a fee to run a boat on Somerset. DPI and Fisheries and other well informed fishermen could tell you more.

If you look at the big picture, there has got to be 100,000 boats in the Bris area and if we had a week of southeasterleys and they all said lets go to Somerset instead of the coast, 2 boat ramps, there would be a major problem.

Its all about numbers and spreading the load I guess.

Wivenhoe is paddle and electric only. Numbers plus the oil slick as the water supply moves closer to Bris.

We would be in big trouble if they tried to introduced Barra into Somerset again and found that it worked.

Regards Gordon

The somerset fee is for boating on somerset and wivenhoe. Independent of the SIP fishing license. The argument being not all fish from boats? and the stocking fee doesn't pay for the ramps bouyes etc.

The annual fee is the only way to go if you are a regular.

Thanks Gordy

Quote Originally Posted by darylive View Post
    The annual fee is the only way to go if you are a regular.
    I agree Daryl - but why not have a daily fee for day-trippers?

The only options are a yearly fee (great for regulars) or a weekly fee.

I won't be going back to Somerset (about 1.5 hours drive away) for a days fishing for $15 if I can get onto other lakes the same distance away for nada........

Just a wish now that all dams in SEQ are under the one body wouldnt it be nice if they all had the same regulations and one boating fee accessed all of them.
    Cheers
    Ray

Well said Rayken, you've got my vote, would make it alot simpler!!!!!

There wil be a recreational access policy released by Qld Bulk Water - Trading as SEQWater on the coming months.

There should be the opportunity to comment on the policy before its adoption. I would encourage everyone to take the time to do so when it is out.

Cheers,

fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Cool Re: Somerset Report

Quote Originally Posted by Peter4 View Post
    I agree Daryl - but why not have a daily fee for day-trippers?

The only options are a yearly fee (great for regulars) or a weekly fee.

I won't be going back to Somerset (about 1.5 hours drive away) for a days fishing for $15 if I can get onto other lakes the same distance away for nada........
    I agree mate, there are daily / overnight camp fees why not daily boat fees. It can't be that hard. I was not impressed when I first found out.

Boat Rego
    Trailer Rego
    Insurance
    SIP permit
    Boating Permit

I suppose we have to contribute but I see a lot of Govt. money go to waste.

Yeh it sucks that they charge you a weekly fee for a day trip. I always thought things like this wern't permitted under the ACCC laws, ie charging a fee without providing a service. They give their permission to run a 1 day fishing or water sking event then charge you a weekly access fee.
    As Fitzy said we'll have to see what their new Recreational Access Policy is.
    Cheers