Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbontex Drag Washers

Carbontex Drag Washers

Hi All
    Just after some info from people who have used Jack Erskin Carbontex Drag washers .When I reived mine they said they could be run either dry or wet (drag washer grease)
    So after your preference Dry or wet

Willo

Re: Carbontex Drag Washers

Wet for me

Some reels aren't suitable for the greased drag (e.g. Many ABU's) although most of my reels nowadays are Daiwas and most have carbontex with Cals drag grease - a great setup that does the job well.

Over time I also aim to lap the steel washers when the reels are due for a service.

Cheers
    Tony

i run all my reels with carbonex washers,wet
    i have also purchased carbonex washers that came wet

cheers

I run wet in Shimano Calcuttas and also in ABU 6500C3. Huge improvement in the ABU. If you are after max drag then dry might be best but wet is so Smoooooth
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Run wet carbontex washers in a cheap Rovex BigBoss and the drag for a cheapy is tops.Shes a good boat hack.
    Cheers
    Reidy

Horse is right, greased will give you smoother operation and dry will give higher max drag settings but "rougher" start up.

Depends on what combination of reel and line class you are using and what type of fishing you are doing. If you are dragging big beasties out of heavy cover with 100lb braid on a heavy duty reel - go dry. If say trolling for pelagics, lighter tackle etc. - go greased.

Also "wet" is a bit misleading, only need a tiny bit of good quality grease rubbed in well with fingers and excess removed.

Cheers
    John

I upgraded my Chronarch with them plus added a Ground Lapped Washer ..... super smooth compared to the standard drag.

Ta
    Matt

I have been using them in ABUs wet with Cal's reel grease. Also lap the washers every time I take the reel apart for a service. 14.5 kg spaniard on a 6500C with 4 kg mono proves the point for me :-)

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Quote Originally Posted by dog tooth View Post
    i run all my reels with carbonex washers,wet
    i have also purchased carbonex washers that came wet

cheers
    i`m with dog tooth. i run wet carbon drags in Avet, penn, abu, shimano, and the
    grease also protects the metal washers from corrosion. long live Alan Tani!

I must be the odd man out,I put them in dry unless the customer specificaly asks for a wet system in which case they get a rub of Shimano drag grease.The only precaution I take is to stop any cross contamination from the AR bearing by removing the oil and relubeing it with Shimano permalube (bearing grease).To my way of thinking these washers will self lubricate as they work due to their very composition,I've never experienced a hint of grab on start up regardless of the amount of drag pressure useing them dry.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    Over time I also aim to lap the steel washers when the reels are due for a service.
    Tony
    Quote Originally Posted by MattChew View Post
    I upgraded my Chronarch with them plus added a Ground Lapped Washer

Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Also lap the washers every time I take the reel apart for a service.
    Jeremy

No doubt a silly question but from a reel maintenance novice. Whats a lapped washer?

Hi Willo,

I run them dry in my Zillions. Just returned from Monduran where they got a fair work out on their first run and worked a treat from start up at some serious drag pressure so if you can't get the grease they recommend, don't be too concerned.

I haven't run them wet so can't give you a comparison.

Cheers, Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Dezzer View Post
    No doubt a silly question but from a reel maintenance novice. Whats a lapped washer?
    Hi Dezzer,

No such thing as a stupid question - only stupid answers!

Drag washers are generally "stamped" by a machine and as such aren't perfectly flat. To lap them you can use a very flat surface such as a sheet of glass and wet/dry sandpaper (I think about 400 grade is generally used) to smooth them down more. Google "Lapped drag washers" and you should get a ton of info

I haven't done any of mine yet but from what I've heard it can make that extra bit of difference to the drags performance and hey it's free if you do it yourself! Alternatively you can buy lapped washers from Erskines or smoothdrag etc.

Cheers
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    I must be the odd man out,I put them in dry unless the customer specificaly asks for a wet system in which case they get a rub of Shimano drag grease.The only precaution I take is to stop any cross contamination from the AR bearing by removing the oil and relubeing it with Shimano permalube (bearing grease).To my way of thinking these washers will self lubricate as they work due to their very composition,I've never experienced a hint of grab on start up regardless of the amount of drag pressure useing them dry.
    this is exactly why i use Cal`s reel and drag grease throughout my reels. no drag contamination possible. on my overhead reels that i don`t need to cast with, i also fill the bearings with it. great protection for reels that cop a lot of salt water over them.

vwhere do you guy get ya cals Drag grease especially on the gold coast