• Supply the bait, ice, etc.....

15 8.43%
  • Just sit back and enjoy the trip

33 18.54%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: $$$ from deckies

Re: $$$ from deckies

Poor old Krazyfisher...

I cant read where he mentions that he charges his deckies for depreciation or overhead costs...think he just mentioned it to illustrate that the actual costs of owning a boat extend much further than the actual costs for the days fishing and that he appreciates if his crew chip in for fuel.

Daz and Greg.... I would not feel right about spending a day on the water in your boats without contributing to your fuel/bait costs or at least reciprocating at some stage in some form or another...I would feel ashamed and believe that I had taken advantage of your generosity otherwise.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    Christ never seen a bloke start so many Polls ???
    Anyway never charged any of my anchor pullers, but if they offer to offset the Rum bill thats ok.
    The only thing i request and most oblique is fuel for the captain and no chicken sandwiches, everyone seems to bring chicken, a bloke could end up with feathers on his back.
    And if there going to gurgle, do it at the front of the boat, saves on burley.
    regards
    bloody hell...fuel for the captain could be more expensive than fuel for the boat.
    How about some bananas?

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Poor old Krazyfisher...

I cant read where he mentions that he charges his deckies for depreciation or overhead costs...think he just mentioned it to illustrate that the actual costs of owning a boat extend much further than the actual costs for the days fishing and that he appreciates if his crew chip in for fuel.

Daz and Greg.... I would not feel right about spending a day on the water in your boats without contributing to your fuel/bait costs or at least reciprocating at some stage in some form or another...I would feel ashamed and believe that I had taken advantage of your generosity otherwise.

Scott
    next time you venture south Scott...gimme a holler and we will go for a fish...no charge and don't feel ashamed..no need. Just bring the missus a plant...LOL

we did a trip with a mate cause we were well down on fish in the freezer, we paid for all the fuel, we all caught sum bait, he showed us a few new spots and gave us most of his fish cause he still had plenty, i thought that was pretty fair
    scott

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo View Post
    they look after me on the water

Yes "Daz", I bet they look after you - if that's really you in your avatar! Can I come out and take care of you as well? Please?

This debate, which seems to surface quite often, really boils down to identifying those who really appreciate what's being done for them, and those that don't.

I have a Mate who hassles me to go out, but I don't take him, because his wife thinks he is a guest, and therefore should not pay to help out, or even assist cleaning the boat. But explaining it to him might be difficult, because I don't want to come between him and his Missus. A 685 takes a sh!tload of cleaning, too.

I expect folks to help cover fuel, bait, cleaning. I'm happy to supply gear if they have none, that just feels like a "hosting" element to me, my opinion only. I also insist on paying my way in other's boats!

The trip to the ramp is my cost. I haven't figured out whether that will change on longer trips, I guess some contribution will probably be welcome, but not mandatory. Again, if the fella coming along really appreciates it, you'll know.

Oh, and folks only ever get one more chance if they bring bananas on board. A repeat of that deadly offence means they are just not worthy!!!

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Being only a 4.2 30hp no charge but they pull the anchor.

IMO if you don't tell people of your costing regime before you even get to the ramp and then there's probs with them not paying

Dave.
    Avast ye matey!

when i go fishing dont really charge but the boys always thrw me a 50 which i think is all good

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    next time you venture south Scott...gimme a holler and we will go for a fish...no charge and don't feel ashamed..no need. Just bring the missus a plant...LOL
    Haha...No worries,Greg....I'm a fan of the barter system,actually.

If we go out in my tinny, which uses stuff all fuel and lure fish, there is no charge. If I go out with a mate to the reef, I always pay for my share of the fuel, supply my own food and drink and try to bring some bait as well (never buy it, just collect as I'm lure fishing). I would not expect to pay for boat depreciation or maintenance costs, that is part and parcel of owning a boat, unless I actually broke the item then I should repair it.
    I don't believe it is fair that they should shoulder all the costs of a run out to the reef as we all have young families and budgets may be tight, and with the cost of fuel at the moment, even a short run can clock up the $$$$ into the hundreds.
    I wold like a mate like Pinhead with the dollars , but none of us are in the financial position to give people a free ride.

Goddy

PS I am also a firm believer of sharing the catch amongst the crew as well. Some people get shirty when you divy up the catch, I don't go fishing with them again.

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post
    Yes "Daz", I bet they look after you - if that's really you in your avatar! Can I come out and take care of you as well? Please?

Tim
    well ol Tim boy, if thats a pic of you in the avatar...................you have no hope...........LOL

Daz

Quote Originally Posted by goddy100 View Post
    I am also a firm believer of sharing the catch amongst the crew as well. Some people get shirty when you divy up the catch, I don't go fishing with them again.

I get an attack of the guilts if I feel I've got more fish than the Mates!

Cheers,

Tim

hi, usually when i go out in the bay its anywhere from $20-$40, the creeks sometimes free but up to about $20 and when i go off-shore its usually $50 and up to $120 depending on how far out we go. Whenever i go out i usually only have to put in for fuel as most of the time we are using lures or plastics. A good tip if you want to go out more is go back to the boat owners house and help them clean the boat .

nic
    Breaming is my LIFE!!!

i guess that an even split is a fair game. i think that a helping hand with organizing the trip, cleaning the boat if necessary, etc... is also never too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo View Post
    well ol Tim boy, if thats a pic of you in the avatar...................you have no hope...........LOL
    Daz
    You make me sad. Better just off and slit my wrists.

I dropped off keys at my eldest Son's place yesterday, his flatmate's boyfriend took them. He said "some old guy dropped your keys off". OLD???? OLD????

Life is not fair! But at least I have lots of toys to make me happy.

Cheers,

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by krazyfisher View Post
    in the creeks its all free but out the front its 150km trip cost costs build up.
    fuel 70l, bait $40 thats about $150 plus maintenance, replacing parts, services, rego, insurance, deprecation about $5000 per year so a trip could actually cost $600 so yes I like people to chip in for fuel I don't ask for it but if you don't understand the costs involved than you don't really want to go again.
    Wahoo
    I cant understand why if you thought like me you would be boatless... do you not think about money or paying bills. you would be ashamed of this post is that because you dont see value if your boat, spots and what you do.
    what I was pointing out was that NON boaties do not understand the costs. I figure it is a showing of good faith to put in some money.
    Selling fillets is that not worse? is that legal or are you a pro fisherman? so rather than charge your friends for maybe 10% of the cost to catch fish you just charge them for the fish.... Well that sounds fair.

Pinhead
    I buy a boat knowing that I can fish whenever I want as offen as I want and without ever asking for money from anyone fishing with me

Disorderly
    yes you did read my post correctly that was how it was intended. thanks for reading

When I say chip in the last trip 1 mate bought bait and the other chip in $50. I like to pay my way and I would like to think others like to pay their way aswell. I also did not point out that when we come back I clean the boat, filet the fish and I normally just keep 1 fish for dinner that night the guests get the rest.