112 62.92%
  • Supply the bait, ice, etc.....

15 8.43%
  • Just sit back and enjoy the trip

33 18.54%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: $$$ from deckies

$$$ from deckies

I realise that everyone has different expectations but, I would like a thread on what you might charge deckies for a day out.

I'm thinking that maybe they supply the bait and ice???? Or do you split the costs evenly (which is hard cause of wear and tear on the boat etc........)

Anyway, a general discussion would be helpful to me............
    "This space is saved for my next special catch"
    "Rainy" Haines Hunter 540C Yamaha 130 HPDI
    28lb King Salmon
    18lb Steelhead (Rainbow) Trout
    12lb Brown Trout
    6.5lb Brook Trout
    12lb Murry Cod
    6'+ Bronze Whaler Shark

Re: $$$ from deckies

Seems to depend if you have experienced guys with you or not, the brand new guys you take in my experience just sit back and enjoy- no real idea about the full costs involved- but I often fish with a mate and we take turns who's boat to use and if we take bait who brings it- rarely take bait etc. So mostly spilt the costs evenly.

Normally my trips cover in total maybe 2 or 3k of boat running around so fuel costs are almost nonexistant and generally nil bait is used only lures so bait costs are nothing unless its a crabbing run.

I do not charge anyone to come along but regularly they stick a $20 note in my pocket anyways which is a nice gesture I appreciate.

If i was running a large boat and totalling 20km or more I would be splitting the fuel bill evenly for the run.

Jack.

im sure you brought the boat to enjoy yourself, i dont ask for a penny, alot of my trips are over 150klms ( round),

sell a few fillets to your friends

i voted for split costs evenly cause a happy crew is a good crew & most times it's 4 on board anyway, usually about $ 120 covers everything for a day to weekend out on the reef.

ron.
    reels screamin aboard Hyper- Active

when i'm a deckie usualy fuel bill is split and i'll buy the bait , i figure i'm getting a day out for about $30 well worth it and i dont have to worry about all the upkeeing costs of service, maintenance, insurance, rego

Hey fish-n-dive
    Legally I think you might get into some trouble if you are 'charging' deckies for a trip out in the boat and something went wrong. Whilst I agree that they shouldn't get away with a free trip and probably should contribute to the costs it could be seen as a 'service' that you are offering which incoorporates many rules and regulations. It's the same argument as when you are car pooling or sharing fuel costs for your car. I however might get them to supply the bait or the tucker/drinks for the trip to offset the fuel/boat costs.

Shane

Quote Originally Posted by watta View Post
    Hey fish-n-dive
    Legally I think you might get into some trouble if you are 'charging' deckies for a trip out in the boat and something went wrong. Whilst I agree that they shouldn't get away with a free trip and probably should contribute to the costs it could be seen as a 'service' that you are offering which incoorporates many rules and regulations. It's the same argument as when you are car pooling or sharing fuel costs for your car. I however might get them to supply the bait or the tucker/drinks for the trip to offset the fuel/boat costs.

Shane
    Shane, I hear what you are saying but thats a really sad thought.... ie; how much of a mate is your mate???
    "This space is saved for my next special catch"
    "Rainy" Haines Hunter 540C Yamaha 130 HPDI
    28lb King Salmon
    18lb Steelhead (Rainbow) Trout
    12lb Brown Trout
    6.5lb Brook Trout
    12lb Murry Cod
    6'+ Bronze Whaler Shark

Mate I agree, it is a sad thought. Many years ago I had a runin with a 'mate' that pestered me to take him fishing for ages. I ended up taking him out and in the end I just took him back to the ramp. He had thrown me 40 bucks for the trip and expected me to be his slave for the day. He actually told me that I didn't have the right to fish if he had paid. And that he expected me to tie his hooks and bait his line for him. And then he spat the dummy when I started catching fish and he was just sitting there like a stunned mullet. The bloody cheek!!!!!

When I was without a boat back in my school days i paid for fuel, bait, lent them gear, brought my burley bomb and also gave cash..and was the anchor bouy .....deckies should at least offer 50 dollars minimum..more if it is offshore like deep tempest...otherwise they are taking advantage of the boat owner...if you want to go fishing offshore that bad....either buy a boat.....or be very courteous when you are given the opportunity and cough up the money...the just my opinion anyway!!!

I usually feel happy to split fuel and all shared gear eg bait ice, i take my own tackle and usually bait. if they said they got all food and drinks would also willing to put in more. But it also comes down to what the skipper and owner is happy asking for if you are happy with a fifty in your hand when you payed 120 for the day then so be it if you ask for 100 after only paying 120 then i as a deckie would feel a bit cheated. I think a even split of the cost for the day is fair.

Wade

IMO a decky me included who doesn't understand what a bargain a fair split of consumed boating costs is should stay at the ramp and fish there, they simply couldn't be serious about the exercise if not willing to pay a fair share in the trip.

Fair to me is a direct split of fuel (and oil) used on the trip, not the fuel the bloke who owns the boat used in his car getting to the ramp or home if the meeting place is at the ramp anyway.

I like the deckies to bring their own bait as I can be particular and they might be also, as a bonus often more bait comes than is needed so we never risk running out at a bad time. I supply the ice simply because I make it at home and it's my esky responisbility, food, drink, suncream and sensible clothing for the day is the individuals responisbilty.
    I do have the regulated amount of water permanently stashed under floor but it's just for show and tell drinking it now probably wouldn't be a very good idea.

cheers fnq

I dont charge then anything, i invited then on my boat so why should they pay. But i only use lures (never had one piece of bait on my boat) and only pratice C&R so therefore there are no cost for bait and ice

Another aspect to consider is that if you are pretty new to the reef game and some of initial trips may well be exploratory in nature...ie getting used to the boat..figuring out techniques,tackle,getting used to navigation and using a new sounder...etc...etc..

I was invited on a reef trip last year with a guy in his boat with his 2 boys and I just sat back and let him skipper... trouble was he had no idea at all and didn't want to listen to any advise from me...ended up bringing home one trout for a whole days fishing...extremely frustrating to say the least...and I would not have gone if I had known what it/he was like beforehand....worse part was I had to reciprocate and take him out a couple of weeks later...sent him home with a fish box full of nannies/trout/cobia/sweeties and a silent promise that I wouldn't fish with him again.

Wasn't so much that he was new to the game (we all have to start somewhere)....just that he was a major PITA ..totally disorganised...and not willing to listen to common sense...never again..

However I think you will do well as there seems to be plenty of keen fishers down your way and some local knowledge to tap into. ......once you get the hang of it and can provide an honest days fishing then shared costs are definitely the go...it gets expensive to run reef trips.

good luck mate ...reef fishing is a great adventure..

Scott

when i whiting fish all i ask of my deckie is to help dig worms,use hardly any fuel but when i go out with mates in their bigger boats we always split the cost.