Classifieds

View Poll Results: Deckies $$$$

Voters
178. You may not vote on this poll
  • Set amount for fuel

    18 10.11%
  • Divide the costs evenly

    112 62.92%
  • Supply the bait, ice, etc.....

    15 8.43%
  • Just sit back and enjoy the trip

    33 18.54%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 84
  1. #16

    Re: $$$ from deckies

    You probably also should have specified what type of fishing you are considering...ie my $300 reef trips are somewhat different from my $20 creek fishing/crabbing trips..

  2. #17

    Re: $$$ from deckies

    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo View Post
    im sure you brought the boat to enjoy yourself, i dont ask for a penny, alot of my trips are over 150klms ( round),

    sell a few fillets to your friends
    Daz just interested to know when you are taking 3 deckies along on a 150-200 km trip...Dont they contribute to the fuel or bait costs???..if not how do they look you in the eye???...I'm mystified ..

  3. #18

    Re: $$$ from deckies

    This is quite amusing to me. I was a deckie for many years on commercial line boats and then I spent years on charter and game boats. In my opinion a deckie is a paid professional to run the deck of what ever boat, now this can include a privat vessel as well. If your taking friends out fishing for the day then I would like to know at what stage they become deckies, I mean arenít they friends. When I take mates out fishing I donít ever refer to them as deckies, they are mates and we are out for a good day on the water.

    If a mate rings me because he needs deckies I wont go, if he rings me as a friend and says Iím going fishing do you want to come, well Iím their. The term deckie is brandished around and it has no real meaning these days. If you have mates going with you let them know before hand what the cost is going to be, I donít hesitate in asking for coin to spread the costs, hell Iím not made of money. Share the costs as well as the catch wether they caught something or not.

    Stu

  4. #19

    Re: $$$ from deckies

    Quote Originally Posted by watta View Post
    Mate I agree, it is a sad thought. Many years ago I had a runin with a 'mate' that pestered me to take him fishing for ages. I ended up taking him out and in the end I just took him back to the ramp. He had thrown me 40 bucks for the trip and expected me to be his slave for the day. He actually told me that I didn't have the right to fish if he had paid. And that he expected me to tie his hooks and bait his line for him. And then he spat the dummy when I started catching fish and he was just sitting there like a stunned mullet. The bloody cheek!!!!!

    Nothing an accidental anchor rope around the neck wouldn't fix. What a grub. I went on a few trips out to the reef from the Whitsundays in other people's boats. It was standard to throw for fuel. The people that pay nothing are the same tossers that tell everyone how much money they have.
    You are entitled to my opinion!
    -----------------------------------------

  5. #20

    Re: $$$ from deckies

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    This is quite amusing to me. I was a deckie for many years on commercial line boats and then I spent years on charter and game boats. In my opinion a deckie is a paid professional to run the deck of what ever boat, now this can include a privat vessel as well. If your taking friends out fishing for the day then I would like to know at what stage they become deckies, I mean arenít they friends. When I take mates out fishing I donít ever refer to them as deckies, they are mates and we are out for a good day on the water.

    If a mate rings me because he needs deckies I wont go, if he rings me as a friend and says Iím going fishing do you want to come, well Iím their. The term deckie is brandished around and it has no real meaning these days. If you have mates going with you let them know before hand what the cost is going to be, I donít hesitate in asking for coin to spread the costs, hell Iím not made of money. Share the costs as well as the catch wether they caught something or not.

    Stu
    This is true, It's a good point IMO, there was a big discussion (argumenton here a few years ago where I took the same position as you re the term deckie on friendly trips. I don't think I call anyone when in person a deckie or at least I think I don't.

    Here on Ausfish in the written word it's easier to go with the flow, I suspect some others do the same.

    cheers fnq



  6. #21

    Re: $$$ from deckies

    F&D

    as I said in another thread deckies can't pay for fuel or it becomes a charter
    they can pay for the bait
    there has several prosecutions when blokes have charged for fuel

    funny how the bait always costs the same as a share of the fuel etc
    (split the trip and call the cost to them bait and food)

    Cheers
    SL
    IFISHCQ2

  7. #22

    Re: $$$ from deckies

    If I go out with someone I'm more than happy to pay equal shares of fuel and bait and take my own drinks and fuel,,, How could anyone expect to be taken out on a trip and let the skipper pay $200 for fuel while you get a free ride.. If I take someone out just in my tinny I dont expect any fuel money as $20 is not worth worring about... BUT there is a big difference between $200 and $20.
    Cheers TT

  8. #23

    Re: $$$ from deckies

    I dont see it as charging the deckie for fuel, rather they chip in to cover costs. With an average bay trip costing me about $80 (car&boat fuel) and times being a bit tight at the moment, I can only afford to go out if a mate comes with to share costs. I dont expect anymore of them except holding the boat while I park the car.

  9. #24

    Re: $$$ from deckies

    I think that the deckie should just help out a little bit, buy some bait, buy the onwer some maccas on the way ( just be kind that he let you out on his boat) And if its a big trip give him a little bit towards the fuel. But i think its wrong if the owner asks for heaps of dollars, because after all he asked the deckie/mate to come with him.

  10. #25

    Re: $$$ from deckies

    there have been plenty of threads similar to this one in the past..I take mates out with me..not deckies..I do not ask for any money and will not accept any...they are not there when I fuel the boat so they have no idea if i have spent $50 or $250 for the trip...I have ice and also bait..just bring your food and drink and enjoy...all is good. It is always nice if the person that is with you...if they own a boat, by reciprocating, offer a trip in their boat...that does not always happen either. I just like to think they try and avoid any damage to the boat such as sinkers hitting the side etc.

    On the other hand, if I go out with someone else I will give them some money to cover costs...everyone has different financial situations and expectations and I respect that...I have my rules on my boat and they have theirs and everyone should be happy.

  11. #26

    Re: $$$ from deckies

    in the creeks its all free but out the front its 150km trip cost costs build up.
    fuel 70l, bait $40 thats about $150 plus maintenance, replacing parts, services, rego, insurance, deprecation about $5000 per year so a trip could actually cost $600 so yes I like people to chip in for fuel I don't ask for it but if you don't understand the costs involved than you don't really want to go again.

  12. #27

    Re: $$$ from deckies

    normally i fish with the same people an if a new body come along i dont usually ask for anything but if offered will take it but if they expect a free ride they usually dont get asked again.
    if they go on a charter it cost them 80 - 200 dollars a day so to contrbute something would be fair

  13. #28

    Re: $$$ from deckies

    Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Daz just interested to know when you are taking 3 deckies along on a 150-200 km trip...Dont they contribute to the fuel or bait costs???..if not how do they look you in the eye???...I'm mystified ..

    Scott, most/all the time its only 2 other deckies, they are very very close friends of mine, they just about offer $$$$ every trip, i wont take it, its a real pleasure going out with them, they look after me on the water, there is no stress what so ever when we head out, they no what has to be done as the day progresses, ( keep the tub clean ) and thats what i like, i never touch the dreded anchor, the boat is just about spotless when we get in
    if i think the way krazyfisher thinks,,,,, then i would be boatless, i would be ashamed to put a post up like that,


    Daz

  14. #29

    Re: $$$ from deckies

    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo View Post
    Scott, most/all the time its only 2 other deckies, they are very very close friends of mine, they just about offer $$$$ every trip, i wont take it, its a real pleasure going out with them, they look after me on the water, there is no stress what so ever when we head out, they no what has to be done as the day progresses, ( keep the tub clean ) and thats what i like, i never touch the dreded anchor, the boat is just about spotless when we get in
    if i think the way krazyfisher thinks,,,,, then i would be boatless, i would be ashamed to put a post up like that,


    Daz
    I would agree on that one...my last boat cost me at least 10k a year before I even started the motors..and that was without any concern for deprecation.
    I did not do any long trips on it but it still cost to run it.
    When you buy a boat are you working out how much you can afford to run it and how many people you need to take so that you can afford a trip or do you buy the boat knowing that you can afford to go where you want to go with it.
    My current boat only has a 250l fuel tank so that is a lot cheaper to fill than previously. I bought the boat with the intention of the wife and I going out on the majority of trips..so we would have to pay all costs then...if she does not want to go then I invite someone else and I look at it as if she was going..still have to pay all the costs so why bother about it. That is my situation and as I said..everyone's situation is different.

    I must say..some of the guests do bring some good tucker...LOL

    Do a search..many times this subject has been raised and many different aspects on it.

  15. #30

    Re: $$$ from deckies

    Christ never seen a bloke start so many Polls ???
    Anyway never charged any of my anchor pullers, but if they offer to offset the Rum bill thats ok.
    The only thing i request and most oblique is fuel for the captain and no chicken sandwiches, everyone seems to bring chicken, a bloke could end up with feathers on his back.
    And if there going to gurgle, do it at the front of the boat, saves on burley.
    regards

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us