Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Plastics for Barra (The slick rig)

Re: Plastics for Barra (The slick rig)

Quote Originally Posted by A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE View Post
    Has anybody ever considered or monitored rod angle, rod tip positioning, drag settings and reaction time as far as striking and line winding is concerned. What about foot stance on deck? The other parts of the equation are equally important.
    Johnny
    Yes.....but getting those that know to actually divulge these thoughts has proved frustrating. Little snips here and there but nobody seems keen to spell it out for us hence the need to go through the motions of trying out every little thought for ourselves and slowly working it out and given that some of us get onto these dams once or twice a year, it can be a slow process. It would seem there are profits to be made in the dissemination of data.

I have had some quite useful feedback on some other forums about the very things you've mentioned, Feel free to elaborate these subjects further.

Cheers Roo.

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    Yes.....but getting those that know to actually divulge these thoughts has proved frustrating. Little snips here and there but nobody seems keen to spell it out for us hence the need to go through the motions of trying out every little thought for ourselves and slowly working it out and given that some of us get onto these dams once or twice a year, it can be a slow process. It would seem there are profits to be made in the dissemination of data.

I have had some quite useful feedback on some other forums about the very things you've mentioned, Feel free to elaborate these subjects further.

Cheers Roo.
    Hi
    Maybe the people in the know (guides like Johnny Mitchell) might not give away all there trade secret on a forum (You cant blame them for that) but if you hire that same guide for a day, go with an open mind and you will learn why they can catch more fish. It seems to me that its money well spent and a quick way to learn the tricks of fishing a specific place.
    cheers
    blaze

Quote Originally Posted by blaze View Post
    Hi
    Maybe the people in the know (guides like Johnny Mitchell) might not give away all there trade secret on a forum (You cant blame them for that) but if you hire that same guide for a day, go with an open mind and you will learn why they can catch more fish. It seems to me that its money well spent and a quick way to learn the tricks of fishing a specific place.
    cheers
    blaze
    With all due respect, Bollocks!!
    This is an online community where like minded people share ideas, experiences and reports with their fellow fishing friends.
    Nagg started this thread to show anyone who was interested, some tips and techniques behind how he successfully targeted barra on his recent trip. This very same information was passed onto us by him while we were still up there, and it directly lead to much improved success for myself and Themissus. Others too we're freely given tips on where and (importantly)why this method was successful in the current conditions.
    I didn't ask JM for any trade secrets, he asked us(the forum) if we had considered a few other key factors. If he isn't willing to share the answer to his own question....one wonders, why ask it!

Cheers Roo.

life is full of learning, some is freely given, some you pay for in one way or another. I figure the better the teacher the more I am prepared to pay and the quicker I will learn. Each to their own though.
    Cheers
    blaze

Quote Originally Posted by blaze View Post
    life is full of learning, some is freely given, some you pay for in one way or another. I figure the better the teacher the more I am prepared to pay and the quicker I will learn. Each to their own though.
    Cheers
    blaze
    yeah, there is always more than 1 way to skin a cat....but then sometimes those that give of themselves freely get it back tenfold.

One day many will realise that my time on here is soley for the advancement and concern of learning anglers. I don't please everyone, no one does that. I add dimension to expand readers knowledge and to keep them thinking in a forward direction.
    I don't need to expand on my description, the fine detail lies in there for anyone willing to analyze themselves as an angler. The more I give, the less anglers think for themselves. I give direction, the gaps often need to be filled by the individual.
    Johnny

I read an article a while back on upgrading plastix. I'll try & dig it up & get back to ya.

Colo

One day many will realise that my time on here is soley for the advancement and concern of learning anglers. I don't please everyone, no one does that. I add dimension to expand readers knowledge and to keep them thinking in a forward direction.
    I don't need to expand on my description, the fine detail lies in there for anyone willing to analyze themselves as an angler. The more I give, the less anglers think for themselves. I give direction, the gaps often need to be filled by the individual.
    Johnny
    really? what you might be missing is that the bulk of us Do Not spend 300+ days a year fishing. most of us might manage that in a lifetime! I don't have the time left in me to analyse which way my toes point while winding. I'm more concerned about keeping them horizontal, when they point at the sky its too late to have the penny dropping. Life is short, I'm getting on with it. You can either be helpful or not. your choice.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

really? what you might be missing is that the bulk of us Do Not spend 300+ days a year fishing. most of us might manage that in a lifetime! I don't have the time left in me to analyse which way my toes point while winding. I'm more concerned about keeping them horizontal, when they point at the sky its too late to have the penny dropping. Life is short, I'm getting on with it. You can either be helpful or not. your choice.
    Roo,
    i am not adding into this debate, but the last comment was well written and i got a good chuckle out of your writing, toes pointing at the sky and all.
    Thanks
    Ben

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Glad I could help.

have a safe trip roo, i dont want to see you on the news getting thrown in the brig

With all due respect, Bollocks!!
    This is an online community where like minded people share ideas, experiences and reports with their fellow fishing friends.
    Nagg started this thread to show anyone who was interested, some tips and techniques behind how he successfully targeted barra on his recent trip. This very same information was passed onto us by him while we were still up there, and it directly lead to much improved success for myself and Themissus. Others too we're freely given tips on where and (importantly)why this method was successful in the current conditions.
    I didn't ask JM for any trade secrets, he asked us(the forum) if we had considered a few other key factors. If he isn't willing to share the answer to his own question....one wonders, why ask it!

Cheers Roo.
    Thanks Roo for your comments.
    Yeh look - this thread was put up just to help those who wished to fish plastics for barra ....... & hopefully shortcut a major downside of one of the most popular plastics.
    As far as stingers go ....... I dont think they are the be all & end all ....... but they can improve results.......... At a cost in one way or another!

anyhow ...... Its out there to take it or leave it , but at least its being shared!

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Thanks Roo for your comments.
    Yeh look - this thread was put up just to help those who wished to fish plastics for barra ....... & hopefully shortcut a major downside of one of the most popular plastics.
    As far as stingers go ....... I dont think they are the be all & end all ....... but they can improve results.......... At a cost in one way or another!

anyhow ...... Its out there to take it or leave it , but at least its being shared!

Chris
    thanks chris, your info on this thread has helped me...,yes for the november trip to come and yes on the smaller plastics i use around the creeks, i,e...tt jig heads bend... learned that lesson already..got me some 1/6 nitros today for jacks, look heaps stronger..thanks..and will be getting the larger models for the 110,s..
    all great info that can be used not only on barra but many other species also...
    good stuff...i owe you a xxxx... ..deano..

Quote Originally Posted by DEANO68 View Post
    thanks chris, your info on this thread has helped me...,yes for the november trip to come and yes on the smaller plastics i use around the creeks, i,e...tt jig heads bend... learned that lesson already..got me some 1/6 nitros today for jacks, look heaps stronger..thanks..and will be getting the larger models for the 110,s..
    all great info that can be used not only on barra but many other species also...
    good stuff...i owe you a xxxx... ..deano..
    I thought I helped you Deano
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO