Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mud Crab Bait!

Mud Crab Bait!

Hey Guys,

Im gonna have a go around the Nerang river with some dilly's today in hope for some mud crabs. Ive done it once before and we picked up a few (One going 20cm across Shell ) but we were a bit unsure as to what bait to use. We gave mullet, Chicken frames, other meat frames, etc. but im wondering what you think is the best Mud Crab bait.

Thanks!
    "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't."

Cheers, Dylan

PB's

Bream: 40cm - Whiting: 41cm - Flathead: 62cm

Re: Mud Crab Bait!

G'day

Mullet and chicken frames are the most prolific and most successful.

Dave

I find almost any fresh Fish frames to be OK, as I guess would steak, chicken canned Tuna/Cat food and anything else you could think of (I reckon anyway)

i was talking to a bloke the other day who reckons cat fish are the best bait to use catch crabs, have'nt used it myself- worth a try.

I use grinner alot and they seem to produce for me
    im not sure how a crab could even look at it but they work
    Cheers
    BreamBuster33

G'day!

Any fish heads. I put the tie wire through the eyes and this stops them being pulled off. Any heads from fish I've caught are used; 2 small eg bream or 1 large eg mullet or flathead.

Heads stay on a long time and are more difficult for picker fish to pull apart.

Regards, Rob.
    Ballina.

Dylan Use fresh Mullet or catfish works the best, try and set your pots around the canals with a bit of rock, I,ve pulled some big muddys in on rod and reel when fishing up that way.
    "True Blue"

G'day

Just another one, IMO, any old fish frame will NOT do, When i've used salmon, and reef fish, my catch rates are dismal.

Best success are as stated, but have also had a good run on wahoo and mac tuna for obvious reasons

Dave

Cat fish.

Cut the spines off with a pair of side cutters for ease of handling.

Kev

i have found mullet & mackerel to be very good, both have heaps of oil in them.
    reef fish... would not even bother like blackened said... crap!
    but got a mate that swears chicken frames are the go.

ron.
    reels screamin aboard Hyper- Active

Mack Tuna or Watsons Bonito

roo tails by far the best, then whole mullet
    ya need plenty of meat in your pots to get them to fill up and hang around, hence why i avoid any frames.

as stated forget reefies, even if whole.

whole diver whiting and salmon aree the gun baits for sandies, followed again by whole mullet.

cheers

lippa

Cats. Just add a cup of tuna oil into the water you drowned them in and soak for two days. Don't worry about removing the fur.

On a (slightly) more serious note, I spoke to a pro up here and he uses pilchards mashed in hession and held in chicken wire. They slowly break down and release a good scent trail.
    You are entitled to my opinion!
    -----------------------------------------

I agree with snatch, cats work a treat and last for ages, (joking)

also add a small tin of tuna with holes in it and have a look at how the claws destroy the tin, or a big tin put into smaller containers with holes in it

When dillying use a tough bait like stingaray or shark or shovelnose less likely to get torn to shreds by the muddies and is very good as an attractent .............. Worked well for us
    JT
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)