Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Mud Crab Bait!

Re: Mud Crab Bait!

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Has anyone used wild pig...?
    I'm wondering if it's worth trying...
    my freind from tully tryed it in the hull river and the crocs smashed it.

We had a problem with roaming dogs here at one stage.....so we got the coulcil to bring arround a dog trap.........didn't catch a damn thing.......but the word got arround...... no more roaming dogs

so oily fish is a good bait for cat traps also .

There are quite a few prople that believe any cat that is outdoors at night is feral.
    Cats roaming at night kill things..... no ifs, buts or maybees.....

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by baldyhead View Post
    Have a M8 who had a problem with a Moggy pissing on his windscreen. Borrowed a Moggy trap, baited it with a fresh pilly & caught said Moggy on the first set.
    Now he did the right thing & put trap with Moggy inside into the deep freeze for a few hours...humane kill...just like crabs!
    Cut Moggy into 4 bits & put em into bait boxes in the crab pots & set the pots in the local creek. Those Moggy bits caught more crabs than anything else that he has used in the past. After 4 days he removed the pots & had a couple of good feeds of muddies.
    The Moggy trap is set again.....
    HHmmmmm. Baldyhead, there's a bit of a problem there mate. It's all good (use of correct trap etc) right up till he put the cat in the freezer. Unlike crabs (which are cold blooded and as the temp slows down their metabolisim slows and they fall asleep and die) cats are like us and do not die a painless death. I recon you would have a nasty time going off to sleep in a freezer. What your mate did is straight out cruelty (even if he thought he did the right thing) and carries large fines and or jail terms as a result. If it is a definate feral cat I strongly suggest a bullet between the eyes. If possably a stray owned cat then legally it must be taken to the pound.

What of you don't own a gun to shoot these cats ? I mean not trying to erode anyones point of view here.. I do tend to agree, sticking the cat in the freezer is poor form, but no one in my neighbourhood owns a gun to my knowledge, and there are very strict gun laws in place.

Take it to the pound is the ideal world scenario, but have you ever had a stray animal at your place ? I had a small dog a while back plonk itself on the door, I called the RSPCA and Bris council, no one seemed keen to help. The RSPCA actually said to just leave it out the front and it may well wander off and find its own way home

All creatures great and small, wherever the may wander.
    If men are from Mars, and women are from Venus, politicians must be from uranus ?

i heard horse flesh is the mother of all crab bait. smelly.

i've been told the pros up north use this, go shoot some brumby or busted arse thoroughbred.

Hi, An old crabber told me not to use frames of fishes that naturaly prey on crabs.
    I dont know if its fact or fiction. My best results are using roo tails marinated in fish oil. I have had some success with mullet and catfish but not on the same scale. I am itching to try roo with pilchards after reading this blog.
    Mate swears by chicken heads which you can aquire quite cheaply apparently.
    Hope this helps Cheers Pete.
    Ps i seem to get alot more crabs on incoming tide.

69 cent chunky pilchard home brand cat food cans, with holes punched into them with an oyster knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtysanchez View Post
    What of you don't own a gun to shoot these cats ? I mean not trying to erode anyones point of view here.. I do tend to agree, sticking the cat in the freezer is poor form, but no one in my neighbourhood owns a gun to my knowledge, and there are very strict gun laws in place.

Take it to the pound is the ideal world scenario, but have you ever had a stray animal at your place ? I had a small dog a while back plonk itself on the door, I called the RSPCA and Bris council, no one seemed keen to help. The RSPCA actually said to just leave it out the front and it may well wander off and find its own way home

All creatures great and small, wherever the may wander.
    Firstly I am not suggesting to go lining up the local moggys in the rifle sites in the suburbs. The local boys in blue might have a problem with that . i am refering to feral cats in the bush unlike a stray cat from a few streets over going for a walk and causing a nuisance which legally cannot be destroyed by the public.

Re the stray dog, the local council who charge you rates are required to pick up stray dogs. You pay for this service and they are the ones who must pick them up. The RSPCA is not government funded and relies on charity and cannot pick up stray animals unless in emercency situations as even the inspectors are unable to enforce the legislation relating to stray dogs (they can only deal with cruelty cases). Unfortunately councils often palm off what they get paid to do to organisations who often do it because its the right thing whist the coucil pocket the cash (RSPCA, Vets etc)

Quote Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
    69 cent chunky pilchard home brand cat food cans, with holes punched into them with an oyster knife.
    scabby woolworths........... up to 79 cents as of today

Seems Purrrrrfect to me.\

Wow. Didn't I start something with my cat bait comments!

I didn't mean to. I was only pussy footing around. But after reading the post where they got good crabs with cats, I feel inclined to try them every meow and again.

Putting them in the freezer is probably a bit of a cat-alyst for trouble though. Go the bullet method.
    You are entitled to my opinion!
    -----------------------------------------

Took the family out fishing yesterday (more scenic tour) and threw 4 safeties in on the way out. I used barra fames ($5.00 the lot from a fish market) and set the pots for 4 hours. Not a crab in any of them.

I suspect the barra were farmed due to their being perhaps 35 cm long at best. Any way strike them off the list. 4 tins of cat food next time and smashed up pilchards soaked in tuna oil and frozen into blocks to fit the bait cages.
    You are entitled to my opinion!
    -----------------------------------------

I prefer to have two different types of bait. one is to attract the crabs to the pot and the other is to keep them eating instead of fighting in the pot.

I've done a lot of crabbing around the bay (wynnum etc..). I've found for both sandies and muddies fresh mullet frames are without a doubt the best. I go to any seafood shop and ask for mullet frames cost about 70c a kilo i think, cheapest bait and the best lots of guts and oily blood..

If you have a chicken nackery close go and ask for chicken heads. They are free and work a treat!
    Cheers Aaron.