Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mud Crab Bait!

Re: Mud Crab Bait!

the best results I've ever had with crabbin was a combination of mackeral frames and chopped up pilchards. A small onion bag of some cut up old pilchards (usually saved for burley on the next fishing trip) and a frame clipped/tied in. I put it down to the pilchards dispersing and carrying further down stream and the crabs following the trail and into the pot. I found that the pots set further down the line in the trail had more crabs in them than the one preceding, so I guess each pot works as burley for the next. It also accounted for a couple of decent cod trapped inside.

Also had good cathes with roo bone and chicken frames, but tinned cat food with a couple of holes punched in it will work well as well.

Has anyone used wild pig...?
    I'm wondering if it's worth trying...

The Pro I know that fishes around the Logan exclusively uses whole chickens. Cheers 8

[quote=snatch;906679]Cats. Just add a cup of tuna oil into the water you drowned them in and soak for two days. Don't worry about removing the fur.

YOU are what I detest! Seriously what positive, are you giving to the fishing forum with this crap??? .

Roo meat, preferably with hair still on it.

Quote Originally Posted by duncan mcwhirter View Post
    i was talking to a bloke the other day who reckons cat fish are the best bait to use catch crabs, have'nt used it myself- worth a try.
    You not wrong Duncan.

Catties are an awesome crab bait.

Pete

I saw a program on tv once, cant remember what it was though i think it may have been landline. This guy (pro/doing it for a living) up in the top end used horse meat from the knackery and said it was the best bait possible for muddies. Prob no use to you but i thought it was an interesting bait.....
    cheers, cam.

Goat meat was the best I have ever seen used !!!

Chicken frames or tins of pilchard cat food are my usual standby.

Mullet and cat fish
    Mullet for the blood and cat fish kept them in there as is takes longer to rip apart.

[quote=BAT;906823]
    Quote Originally Posted by snatch View Post
    Cats. Just add a cup of tuna oil into the water you drowned them in and soak for two days. Don't worry about removing the fur.

YOU are what I detest! Seriously what positive, are you giving to the fishing forum with this crap??? .
    ....and you are a twat. Don't forget to put the whole post in next time where I hinted that I was joking and went on to mention the pro I spoke to using pilchards.

I wonder if mudcrabs like twats? Lighten up fool. Obviously a cat lover. Me too they taste like chicken.
    You are entitled to my opinion!
    -----------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by snatch View Post
    Cats. Just add a cup of tuna oil into the water you drowned them in and soak for two days. Don't worry about removing the fur.

On a (slightly) more serious note, I spoke to a pro up here and he uses pilchards mashed in hession and held in chicken wire. They slowly break down and release a good scent trail.

My original post for varification.

I should probably add that I do indeed know people who have claimed to have used them (not me) ,so it is actually rellevant.
    Last edited by snatch; 03-10-2008 at 02:26 PM. Reason: added a line in

i'm told it has somthing to do with the fur.
    i've had a water rat get stuck in a pot, and scored some top crab from it.
    urban legends say that cats have been stuck in pots, and again awesome results.
    crabers all through the top end use a mirid of baits, basicaly what ever hey can shoot.
    alot of crabbers in the territory, live in shanty like communitys whilst working. it not uncomon for them to shoot a wild horse, and divy up the meat through out themselves. i spose if a feral cat is in their sights, it turns into delicious chiili mud crab too.

mmmmmmm chilli crabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

footnote.

lighten th f#@k up buddy

it was a bit of light hearted banter, maybe the vegan forums are more your speed

Love your post Lippa.

What did the old mate do when he found his mother in law drowned in the creek............................................. took the crabs off her and re set her

Joke, just a Joke................

On a positive note. I am going crabbing tomorrow .