Thread: bream on fly????

bream on fly????

hey,

just recently got a outer mark fly fishing kit . i am very keen to try and target some bream with it. i know how to fly fish but i have no idea on what kind of line to use and what kind of flys to use.

it world be much appreciated if you could give me a few hints. cheers

Re: bream on fly????

as the summer sets in, if ya fish early morns and late arvos, try tiny poppers and gurglers for them on floating line and a 4/8lb leader. i use a 9 wt for them but you will get them on a 6wt ok. i allso get them on bread flys and when they are feeding good, i use a wiggle minnow on a sinking line, and try to make a constent slow retrive, they work awsome on the edges of cannals when the bream are activly feeding. i now some fellers do well with clowser tied with poler flash and the good old brown or olive wooly buggers are a gun fly in some places
    figjam :wink:

Mate down here has had some success using a soldier crab pattern on a sinking line on the sand flats.
    Next time i bump into him i'll ask a few questions re the tie
    Cheers
    Reidy

Quote Originally Posted by nuggstar View Post
    as the summer sets in, if ya fish early morns and late arvos, try tiny poppers and gurglers for them on floating line and a 4/8lb leader. i use a 9 wt for them but you will get them on a 6wt ok. i allso get them on bread flys and when they are feeding good, i use a wiggle minnow on a sinking line, and try to make a constent slow retrive, they work awsome on the edges of cannals when the bream are activly feeding. i now some fellers do well with clowser tied with poler flash and the good old brown or olive wooly buggers are a gun fly in some places
    Nice one never thought to run a small popper on a floater
    Theory is goooood
    Cheers
    Reidy

Hey Reidy I see you in Tassie mate , I have posted this pic before and I reckon its hands down the best Bream fly out- The booby , and being from Tassie I'll bet your aware that is not a bad fly fished on a fast sink line for spotted ferals as well.
    Having never fished for ferals I can't tell you if they are any good for them , but they are unreal for saltwater natives

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org

sorry mate I forgot to mention that for bream, I use a floater with a mono leader.

Your on the money Nuggster everything you said I also agree with

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisho View Post
    Hey Reidy I see you in Tassie mate , I have posted this pic before and I reckon its hands down the best Bream fly out- The booby , and being from Tassie I'll bet your aware that is not a bad fly fished on a fast sink line for spotted ferals as well.
    Having never fished for ferals I can't tell you if they are any good for them , but they are unreal for saltwater natives
    Cheers for that flyfisho
    Flying for bream is just starting to take off down this way due to the fact that some of our more popular rivers are fished pretty hard these days (east coast) and the bream are already becoming a tad shy of hardbodies and some softies.
    Similar to trout in some Tassie lakes(Great lake an example) where the fish became rather shy to the old flatfish over time (late 70s early 80s)due to exessive expossure to them.
    Have a good one
    Cheers
    Reidy
    I need to get ABREAST of those boobys

Hey Reidy,

Heres a link to a tying and use of the Booby. Simple and effective
    Remember to fish all different retrieves until you figure out which one is workin ON THE DAY, cause tomorrow will more than likely be different, Fish can be such "Utter Bastards".

http://www.bishfish.co.nz/webbooks/s...t/boobyfly.htm

Dave

i have an 8 wt rod that would right? the ones down here pull pretty hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfanatic View Post
    Hey Reidy,

Heres a link to a tying and use of the Booby. Simple and effective
    Remember to fish all different retrieves until you figure out which one is workin ON THE DAY, cause tomorrow will more than likely be different, Fish can be such "Utter Bastards".

http://www.bishfish.co.nz/webbooks/s...t/boobyfly.htm

Dave
    Cheers for that.Sorry its taken a while to catch this one.
    All the best
    Reidy