Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Yalta Owners Club-aka-Roll Call

Re: Yalta Owners Club-aka-Roll Call

I seem to get fine reception on both HDS units, I can only zoom in to 10m i believe? Update speed seems fine, an external antenna would be handy when jigging over wrecks though, just that bit more refresh would be handy.
    my 2 cents.

For those playing at home I was out in 65m of water on Tuesday traveling at 50kms/hr and still maintaining bottom reading with the HDS10

Josh
    Yalta Craft 555HC, "BIMINI TWIST", home port Gladstone
    Member of the Yalta Craft Appreciation Society

Cheers Josh. After playing around with it the other day it's not as bad as i first thought which is good. Now my sounder is playing up though and it makes it worse hearing that yours is reading at 50km/h!! Could you post a pic of your transducer if you get a chance? I may need to put it on a slide bracket.

Paul.

Hey Paul, here are the pics mate, sorry was down south for a few days. But i cant take credit for the Transducer placement. George (MINE09) let me come round and check out his Yalta a while back and the transducer discussion happened, he got perfect readings at all speeds, so i took photos of his placement and relocated mine. Instant results.

The pics are of my boat and you can see my old placement (sikaflex holes) the old placement was dead inline with one of the front planing strakes i had just never seen

As long as you are between both strakes in nice clean water all should be good. Oh i ran my transducer cable separate to all the power going to the dash as well, so underneath the built in cable box holder thingy under the gunnels.

Yalta Trans 1.jpg
    (note between the rear Right strake and front Left strake, nice clean hull.

Yalta Trans 2.jpg

Yalta Trans 3.jpg

cheers, if you need any more let me know

Josh
    Yalta Craft 555HC, "BIMINI TWIST", home port Gladstone
    Member of the Yalta Craft Appreciation Society

Cheers Josh.

The placement looks similar to the first pic with regards to depth into the water, so hopefully it is the strake that is causing the problem. Will check on Wednesday when i get back from work. Thanks heaps.

Finally sorted out the sneaky transducer problem. The bracket had been put on upside down and this both made the ducer sit higher and disturbed the water flow. As it was on a slide bracket in the tinnie it was mounted on a horizontal surface and didn't matter, i think when the dealer fit the boat out, they simply rotated the bracket to fit the vertical surface. The upside of this is when searching for a solution, i have found all the info on the recommended settings and the unit is now working better than ever.

Hi all, proud Yalta 555HC owner here. I was just curious if anyone else gets water coming in through their hatch.

Marliniem,

Yeah a bit, is fixed with just some rubber around the edge of the hatch, has stopped it on mine. The other trick is to bend the catch a little more but making the lid shut tighter, but after a while I noticed it was rubbing the glass so got some stripping and is now fixed.

Regards
    HOnda

Yeah mine does a bit but usually only when washing it or when driving it through waves. The washing bit doesn't concern me as i just remove the vberth cushions to dry out if they get wet. The driving through waves thing is rare but has happened! And then you dont really worry about the hatch just the Tsunami coming over the windscreen. Not recommended while eating a Salami and cheese sandwich!! I think Honda might be on the money with the solution but I have never been bothered by it. Very minimal amounts of water.

Quote Originally Posted by marlinieum View Post
    Hi all, proud Yalta 555HC owner here. I was just curious if anyone else gets water coming in through their hatch.
    Yes!! It has happened a few times, and the final straw was getting caught in a rain squal at comby point. Sharp wind driven chop occasionally burying the nose of the boat into waves that had buckets of water coming in through the hatch. No exaggeration! When looking closer at the hatch, whoever finished the hatch off in the factory seemed to have got carried away with the grinder and took too much off the lip of the hatch ( of the boat, not the hatch lid) then putting the flexible edge seal on it. To fix, remove the flexible edging strip. I then put a few layers of selleys Plasti Bond (plastic putty for 1001 filling & bonding jobs) around the lip of the hatch, building it up by at least 1 cm in the most obvious places with the biggest gaps that you can see with the hatch closed. Sand it and shape it so you can place the edging strip back on. Colour it with white flowcoat for a better finish if you are fussy, but you can't really see it when you put the edge strip back on. I then used a double sided foam hatch seal on top of the edge strip to form a tight seal. I think the problem is gone ...until the next time I bury the nose of the boat into a wave, but I can't see any light getting through the gap of the hatch like before, it should be fine.

Scalem

Quote Originally Posted by Scalem View Post
    Yes!! It has happened a few times, and the final straw was getting caught in a rain squal at comby point. Sharp wind driven chop occasionally burying the nose of the boat into waves that had buckets of water coming in through the hatch. No exaggeration! When looking closer at the hatch, whoever finished the hatch off in the factory seemed to have got carried away with the grinder and took too much off the lip of the hatch ( of the boat, not the hatch lid) then putting the flexible edge seal on it. To fix, remove the flexible edging strip. I then put a few layers of selleys Plasti Bond (plastic putty for 1001 filling & bonding jobs) around the lip of the hatch, building it up by at least 1 cm in the most obvious places with the biggest gaps that you can see with the hatch closed. Sand it and shape it so you can place the edging strip back on. Colour it with white flowcoat for a better finish if you are fussy, but you can't really see it when you put the edge strip back on. I then used a double sided foam hatch seal on top of the edge strip to form a tight seal. I think the problem is gone ...until the next time I bury the nose of the boat into a wave, but I can't see any light getting through the gap of the hatch like before, it should be fine.

Scalem
    Were you eating a Salami and cheese sandwich at the time?

Well the 555 is now having and engine transplant. The old noisy, thirsty Johhno is making way for a new Yamaha 115 4 stroke. The old cable steering has been given the flick as well and Hydraulic is taking its place. Hopefully pick it up at the end of the week. Thanks to Paul from Yatala Yamaha for being so easy to deal with.

I was wondering how you were getting on, with the engine probs, did you get a result on what the problem was? anyway, you wont look back now, you will be suprised at the fuel bills now, pitty about the johnno though.

Regards
    HOnda.

Didnt really get a result Chris as such as I had pretty much decided it was time for a change( in my pocket). Last trip before it died was out of Bundaberg and did 60 pretty easy KMs for a fuel usage of 68 litres. Sick of forking out $150+ for a trip out here.

the lump, you are going to love the new fourstroke. 60 km in my 5.6m Stessl halfcabin with 140 fourstroke would use less than 32L. You will enjoy the fuel savings. Cheers Winston.

Yeah, I hear you, my Yam 130 was basically a litre a kilometre, the Zuke 140 gets me 2.1 km's per litre, We use 70 litres on average per trip now, in bad conditions we might use 74, really doesnt vary much at all, plus range doubled.

Regards
    HOnda.